TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NEWS: Serial Thriller and Tidal Wave are In Storage

Saw this on an Astroworld fansite:

http://www.poststar.com/story.asp?storyid=205750

Looks like they might not be going up anytime soon.

QUEENSBURY -- Huge colorful metal supports, long lengths of tracks, and cars for an inverted roller coaster and water splash ride continued to arrive in large trucks Friday at the Great Escape parking lots on Route 9.

But the corporate instructions that go along with them are still missing.

While one might assume the rides are being brought here for placement in the Queensbury amusement park, Great Escape Marketing Director Jennifer Mance said the park is merely holding on to the parts until corporate officials from Six Flags decide what to do with them.

"We are storing the parts, but the future plans for those rides have not been announced," Mance said.

Mance would not confirm where rides came from, nor would she say why the rides are being stored at Great Escape as opposed to another location.

Another Great Escape source, who would not talk on the record because that person works at the park, confirmed the inverted roller coaster called "Serial Thriller" and a water ride called "Tidal Wave" came from Six Flags AstroWorld outside Houston.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last I heard, Serial Thriller was going in The Great Escape for '07, but they hadn't picked a spot yet. I can totally see TGE giving the SLC a simple, yet bold, theme (given their theming on, say, Canyon Blaster).

And Derek makes a great point below:

Derek wrote:

LOL, yeah, clearly Great Escape is the closest park to Houston to be able to store some rides at.

Same goes for Ultra Twister and SFA. Someone said it's going there simply for storage. Why on earth would they haul a coaster from Houston to Washington DC for storage? On top of that, why would they move Ultra Twister when they could have moved some rides that were in better shape -- Viper, Greezed, Batman The Escape. I can understand them relocating UT to SFA if they're intention is to operate it there, but why "store" such an old ratty coaster? I love the ride, but I will be the first to admit, it is sorta shitty. (But, hey, any coaster is welcomed at SFA by me. Shitty or not, we need something, we're going on a 5 year drought.)

It seems like everything involved in this SFAW fiasco just makes no sense whatsoever.

I can tell you that ST and TW aren't being "stored".

Here's a little story.. I own and run . 2 weeks ago, I posted pics on the site of TW, and ST in our parking lot. The following day, our newspaper interviewed the GM at TGE regarding the coaster pieces. He FLAT OUT LIED and said, "there are no ride pieces on-site". Despite the fact that I took pictures of the ride the day before. Instead of simply saying "no comment", he lied about it. Then the new article comes out last week, where they say it's being "stored" Puhleaaase. TGE lost all their credibility 2 weeks ago when the GM lied, and you people believe they are now being stored?

Common sense should kick in here, TGE has the least room out of any SF park, and the most distant as well. You think they would store parts here? Don't think so.

They are shooting down all rumors, for the simple fact that the new hotel is going to debut in 06', and they don't want to overshadow that. On top of that, we have irrate neighboors that surround the park that complain over everything, and anything. They already started complaining after reading the Post Star article, and seeing the story on my site.

I can tell you guys for a fact (unofficially of course), that TGE will have these rides in by June of 07'.

Not only do I run , but I work at TGE as well

^It would especially be great for a park that already has a BTR...

*rolls eyes*

I agree with what nyguy said.

Also, it could be that TGE hasn't yet put forth a proposal to the town of Queensbury yet, and don't want them to know of their full plans before getting permission to carry them out.

Same goes for Ultra Twister and SFA. Someone said it's going there simply for storage. Why on earth would they haul a coaster from Houston to Washington DC for storage? On top of that, why would they move Ultra Twister when they could have moved some rides that were in better shape -- Viper, Greezed, Batman The Escape. I can understand them relocating UT to SFA if they're intention is to operate it there, but why "store" such an old ratty coaster? I love the ride, but I will be the first to admit, it is sorta shitty. (But, hey, any coaster is welcomed at SFA by me. Shitty or not, we need something, we're going on a 5 year drought.)

Is it really there? I live about 30 mins from SFA, and yeah, we REALLY need a new coaster! Last one was Batwing in 2001 Great coaster, but getting old

Tell me this is so! I have really kind of wanted *GASP I said it* to ride the coaster. It definately doesn't look the best, but it does look cool and fun YAY! And yeah, why would 2 coasters and a water ride e sent from the mid-west the the north-east for Storage???

I dunno if Ultra Twister parts are on site yet, but several different people have stated that it's heading for Washington DC. I also heard that Ultra Twister's parts left SFAW a couple days ago. So who knows...

I thought it'd be cool to stick Ultra Twister in Gotham between SROS and Batwing. They could call it "Poison Ivy's Twisted Terror" or something.

As for 2005 -- I think that two new waterslides and some paint is a pretty weak "makeover". But that's just me.

I agree. Although both slides are really cool to me and my cousins, and ME's paintjob looks nicer than the old, crusted paint. I was gonna say that because Krypton Comet has been removd ( ) and the Alpine Bobs (stupidest name for a ride in FRIGGIN GOTHAM CITY) are to go there, that Superman's 90* turn after the drop may not be isolated for very long!!! Ya catch my drift

I hope we get something new!!!

coasterfreak101 wrote:

and the Alpine Bobs (stupidest name for a ride in FRIGGIN GOTHAM CITY) are to go there

When it opened, its official name was Penguin-something (Penguin's Polar Express, I think). They just never bothered to take the Alpine Bobs sign down. I think, not sure, but they might have officially re-dubbed the ride as "Alpine Bobs" when Penguin's Blizzard River opened across Gotham.

I sort of got in trouble one day when they stuck me on Alpine Bobs operation. The ride had no music and Alpine Bobs must have music -- it's like American tradition! So, finally, after another little kid asked me to turn on the music, I said okay, and started singing really loudly over the microphone. I just happened to be singing Sisqo's "Thong Song" when my bosses walked by. Yeah, they were pissed.

I believe they were all scrapped, except maybe one was sent to another park.

Also, I'm going to be out in Maryland on Sunday, I'll see if I get an opportunity to get a picture of a truck coming by or something, if I'm lucky.

EDIT: Looking at the SFA site, it mentions something about "The Avalanche"... looks like Alpine Bobs finally got renamed.

Hmmmmm........well, I like Avalanche better! You know, it is being moved to the Krypton Comet spot, over by PBR, so Avalanche could be themed to him? Just a thought!

Man, if you got a shot, that would rock. If there is conformation on a new coaster coming to SFA, that would make my Bday (1/17)!!!

Hope something happens! It just sucks cause SFA isn't opened year round, and there's really no way to get any construction or track storage pics