TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

World's Longest Coaster

who has the actual record

Should a mountain coaster's stats count toward being a world record holder?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Should a mountain coaster's stats count toward being a world record holder?

• Yes
    • No

A random reply to a twitter thread on Falcon's Flight lead me down a rabbit hole and I'm curious how The Community™ feels about it.  This is an incredibly niche hyper fixation, but I can't be the only one on here who cares.

Steel Dragon 2000 has held the record for world's longest coaster since 2000, at 8,100 ft (2,468 m).  And when Falcon's Flight opens, it's poised to break the record with a length of 13,900 ft (4236 m).  HOWEVER.  There are three mountain coasters in operation that are substantially longer than Steel Dragon, and one that's substantially longer than Falcon's Flight.

Tobotronc, a mountain coaster that opened in 2007 is a staggering 17,300 ft (5,273 m) long.  So in my opinion, it should rightfully be the World's Longest coaster. 

Rodelbahn opened in 1999 with a length of over 10,000 ft (3,048 m), so Steel Dragon was actually never the world's longest coaster.

I think that if a mountain coaster counts as a credit (and most of us do), then it should count as a record holder.  If Superman: The Escape counts as enough of a roller coaster to hold world records (even when it opened after Tower of Terror), I see no reason why a mountain coaster couldn't.

On 4/16/2024 at 8:45 AM, BobloLives said:

...but what about girth?

Mountain coasters don't "count" to me because you as a rider are in partial control of your speed.

There are a handful of older coasters that have manually controlled brakes.  Does it matter if it's a customer vs employee who has the lever?

16 hours ago, prozach626 said:

I'm actually really surprised people are voting yes, if I'm being completely honest.

Same. 

I always thought that the majority of enthusiast never counted them as credits, so why would mountain coasters count in this case…?