TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NoLimits 2 (NL2) Discussion Thread

I have a laptop that is less than a few months old with an i5 processor and 8gb of ram on windows 8. I think it should be fine, not sure why it is laggy.

A colleague of mine pointed out that NoLimits 2, like the original, is a 32-bit app, meaning that it will only pull 2GB of RAM max. So, blame your processor/graphics card.

I've experienced big frame rate drops myself, but Im pretty sure that it's because of the grass in the environment.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many laptops also have integrated graphics cards that can't handle graphically intensive programs.

My laptop is about a year and a half old but has a separate graphics cards since I game with it. The demo ran swimmingly, though the shadows were a but wonky so I shut them off.

I can't believe people expect great performance on demanding games with a laptop... Unless you spent thousands on extremely high end gaming versions, they are crippled compared to most desktop rigs. This is the nature of the beast.

This is why a PC is my workhorse... Easily upgradable and extremely powerful for far less money. I could not live with a laptop, honestly... Especially for my photo/video editing and gaming. Those with laptops will probably have to dial down the settings quite a bit, especially compared to NL1.

Anybody with a serious gaming rig yet to try NL2 out? How was the performance?

Anybody with a serious gaming rig yet to try NL2 out? How was the performance?

I tried the demo as my full game hasn't finished downloading and it runs great. I have everything maxed out.

I'm running a custom desktop PC.

Core i7 2600K (Quad 3.4GHz)

16GB Ram

SSD + HDD main drive (Intel Smart Cache)

EVGA Overclocked Nvidia GeForce GTX 670 4GB

If you're experiencing unusual frame drops, for example when you look at water or a light or the station, there are certain shaders that might be causing this to occur and so this may be an indication that you need to update your video card drivers. Even if your computer or video card is brand new you may be running legacy or reference drivers. It pays to double check.

Phyter:

1) We were told there'd be a discount for people who own NL1. I didn't see one on the site, after several hours of waiting I saw the official site go up with no mention of it and paid full price. Will there be some sort of difference refund for those of us who paid full price?

2) Whenever I try to import a scenery object, be it .3Ds or .lwo, it says "Can't read XML files" for some reason. I don't know anything about any XML files. what to do? Does this have anything to do with the fact that I'm first exporting things from maya as OBJ and then transferring them to Lightwave, where I save them in the correct format?

Thanks in advance.

Great to hear!

I am running the same processor, overclocked from 3.4 to 4.5Ghz though... My GPU is a superclocked version of the 570 GTX (overclocked even farther) which may get replaced depending how the game runs...

Happy that it is running well maxed out... Makes me more excited.

On a side note, I am not too concerned about the discount if you already have NL1... I have been playing it for nearly what, 10 years? Cost per year is so low... With all their hard work on this project to bring us this game, I will gladly pay the full price (which IMO is still way underpriced). No reason it could not have been $100 for the normal version and I would have still gladly paid for it.

The best game/simulation on the market. Nothing comes close and IMO, nothing will.

Edited by Invertalon

Welp, it's downright unusable at normal settings (no advanced effects either) on Parallels for me. I understand that, yes, I am running on my Macbook from 2010, but it at least runs acceptably well natively on Windows. Still working on the Wineskin.

I love how every time I say something about the discount people's responses are "*I* don't mind paying full price."

Well, guess what, I work as a cartoonist, I don't make much. My appreciation for the development team is great, my income is not.

They said there'd be a discount, I think it's only proffessional to offer one if you said you were going to.

If you don't want to take advantage of it nobody's forcing you.

I say it because I think it's a bit crazy and you have said it NUMEROUS times. This is a full fledged program with tons of development time behind it and you are complaining its 45 vs 35. Try and buy any program for that and you won't find it. They also never said you'd get the discount right away.

I still can't believe they said they'd offer the discount. There really was no need, but they said they would do it so I'm sure they will honor it. Be patient. They never said it would be available on day one.

Edited by Moose

Agreed ^

I can see if it was $400 software with a 40% discount if you have NL1 to save some big money... But I imagine it will be relatively minor, like $5-10. I would be surprised if more.

I am sure the discount will come eventually, just have to wait for it. Probably delaying to help distribute all the downloads going on.

I'm sorry if that last post came off as harsh. I understand your frustration. I just wanted there to be more than one voice about the price out there. If the only feedback the company gets is someone saying the price is too high and that the want a discount, then they'd think everyone felt that way. It may also make others think the software isn't worth the price.

So to your point is my and some others counterpoint that this is some awesome software for the price. And sorry if it came out the wrong way.

Edited by Moose

Ok here's something on the demo, I already mentioned how I can't get the transfer track to reverse a train full stop on the timberliners, i tried experimenting with the dive machine to get all 4 trains stored away, I start the sim and move train two into the furthest away shed and move it back twice so its in the far corner of the shed. I then send the transfer track back, i put train 3 on it and the switch just stops working it wont let me put away another train. It'll let me move a train off it to the station but I just can't move it right again with a car on it.

For the timberliners, you have to move the train back manually in the Trains section.

For the dive machine, you have to move the train forward slightly in Full manual because it doesn't park completely on the transfer table.

In hindsight, maybe I should have waited a few more hours before starting my download of the full version.

19KB per second! Those servers must be loaded!

I started the download at 9am (Eastern) this morning, and at 7 hours I am just now around the 65% mark of completion. These servers are crawling. My download speed keeps fluctuating, but it's rare to see it over 30KB/s and at times it's been dropping to around 5-6KB/s... And I am on a relatively fast connection, usually downing about 50-60MB/s.

Really excited to play with this though. I didn't bother waiting for any of this discount talk. I've purchased NL1, as well as the "premium" update that was released down the line as well, and even offered to donate money to Ole a couple times throughout the years that NL2 has been in development, but was respectfully declined. I was more than happy to send my $100 on it's way for a program like this.

I downloaded it at my work so that I wouldn't have this problem. Downloaded the demo in 5 minutes. I am in Utah so I wonder if I'm hitting a different server (Content Delivery Network possibly?) than others.

Just got mine finished. Bought the Pro version since I knew I'd want to mess around with motionblur and video. It's pretty cool so far. So many different things to dig into. Definitely worth the asking price.

screenshot-2014-01-10-13-02-16.thumb.png.9c213be0db4ab89d8ef2341297ee1349.png

Colossus with DOF

screenshot-2014-01-10-13-08-56.thumb.png.530e9451084ee4045f1b87c62fb4cc39.png

Details with DOF

screenshot-2014-01-10-13-10-43.thumb.png.bba42a9746a8547ee7a2a5c31205a155.png

Narrow field of view with DOF on.

I downloaded it at my work so that I wouldn't have this problem. Downloaded the demo in 5 minutes. I am in Utah so I wonder if I'm hitting a different server (Content Delivery Network possibly?) than others.

I was able to download the demo in about 2 minutes, but the demo and the main download are coming from different servers. The demo is being fed from fileburst.com where as the full-version is being fed from element5.com. Either the element5 servers are slow, or they are being overloaded. Either way, it's going to be worth the wait.