TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Sydneys Wonderland to reopen??!!

According to the news article a new backer could reopen Sydeny's theme park Wonderland on a new site. Very interesting. I hope it all pans out.

www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/west/sydney8217s-wonderland-theme-park-set-to-make-its-home-in-the-west/story-fngr8i5s-1226698439076

www.2dayfm.com.au/newsfeed/2013/8/wonderland-coming-to-sydneys-west/

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fingers crossed, another park would no doubt do well in Sydney these days as long as it was in a good location, but afer reading this from the article... Sydney's Wonderland - a pipeline dream for Mt Druitt property developer Ammar Khan. I can't help but think it may be just that.

On the other hand though, I guess all good things come from somebody's "pipeline dream's".

^ Agreed that Sydney should have more coasters, it's got the population for it as well as the tourism. This just makes me even more amazed that we got a Eurofighter in Perth, I would have bet a lot that Sydney would get something this cool before Perth.

I guess it's not too far to the Gold Coast from Sydney though.

While I wish the developers well and belive that Sydney could support another park, my question is what happened with the original Wonderland? Why did it fold? I don't know much about the local history or politics behind the old park. Would the locals favor a return of Wonderland?

I really enjoyed Sydney when I was there with TPR back in 2011.

While I wish the developers well and belive that Sydney could support another park, my question is what happened with the original Wonderland? Why did it fold? I don't know much about the local history or politics behind the old park. Would the locals favor a return of Wonderland?

I really enjoyed Sydney when I was there with TPR back in 2011.

Long Story: September 11 attacks, the 2002 Bali bombings, the collapse of HIH Insurance, the SARS virus, the bird flu virus, "consistent losses" on the Asian financial crisis, the collapse of Ansett Australia, the Iraq War and the 2003 bushfires

Short Story: poor management/ Only 1 attraction from 1997 to 2004/ Closing a good 30% of the park in 2002.

^ essentially that. It was bought by some Malaysian investment conglomerate or something and eventually they realised that they could make more money developing the land as an industrial estate rather than as a theme park.

I had to laugh at that article when it said that the developer was looking at land around Eastern Creek. HELLO!!! That's where it was in the first place and is partially why it was never very successful! Too far out from Sydney and no infrastructure for public transport.

Do miss the old wonderland though. We went on one of the very last days of operation and rode everything as many times as we could!