TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Questions about college major and future..

IStillPlayRCT2

Next year I will be starting college and I am not sure of what I want to major in. I'm thinking that I want to major in Business and eventually work for a theme park and then hopefully work my way up in the chain of command. I have been looking into the Disney College Program as means to build some sort of cred before graduating college, and then once graduated possibly applying for a full-time job at either Disney or Universal. So I have a few questions for yall:

1) What exactly should I major in if I want to eventually obtain some type of management position at a world class theme park and eventually run/own one (I understand that last statement is out there)?

2) Should I apply for the Disney College Program once in college as a way to build a resume and then eventually apply for a full-time job at Disney?

3) Do yall have any other advice?

I understand that things don't always work out as planned, but I'm just trying to get an idea of what I should do. I also understand the likelihood of ever owning a theme park, but one can dream, lol.

Edited by IStillPlayRCT2

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1: I'm pursuing the engineering end of amusement ride design, can't help you.

2: Same as 1.

3: I may not be in the industry (yet) but throughout my pursuits so far, I have learned a good deal. Email park executives with your questions. If you can't get them or their secretaries, try and email the "lower tier" Q&A persons and ask to be "transferred" so to speak to a higher-authority person with more relevant knowledge. And don't stop talking to them once your question is finished. Try to keep in touch with them, and ask questions or send an email or general updates or whatever (I know, kinda vague, but you're going to have to decide the content for yourself) because one of the most important parts of getting into the industry is to get connections. Go down to IAAPA in your senior year of college before you're about to get your degree to talk to even more park execs and to send out your resume.

Unfortunately, contacting them will be more difficult for you than I seeing as the engineering firms are incredibly small compared to the actual park corporations (massive) and it may be harder for you to come up with a better resume than I because as an Engineering student, I can put my undergrad research accolades on the paper (which I am starting to do right now even though I am just a freshman.)

I also HIGHLY recommend that you get an entry level job at the parks you are interested in, because in all the park executive interviews that I have seen, the overwhelming majority of them started out as a ride operator, food stand clerk, ride mechanic, etc. and gradually rose through the ranks over the decades. That will probably actually make it a bit easier for you to form connections than what I am trying to do because you can be directly hired by the company you wish to head in a much easier fashion than I. All you have to do is be 18 years old, deal with people, and press a few buttons for twelve hours a day. I have to make prototypical mechanical devices and amusement ride prototypes to even get a second glance (though doing such research is/will be a butt load of fun.)

And, if this is truly what you want to do, do NOT give up. You will invariably have naysayers pop up in this thread, laughing at you for thinking of going into this field. Just remember: Somebody has to manage those parks, you might as well be one of them.

EDIT: I have an idea; let's see if this will work...

*climbs up onto soapbox.*

I'd like to make a request from all of those who read these threads that happen to be of high standing in the amusement industry from a business perspective to provide their own advice, because I know you guys read these threads. At the very least, it'll probably make IStillPlayRCT2's day that a celebrity responded to him personally and openly. At the very most, you might just be talking to a future management candidate.

*climbs off of soapbox.*

Edited by Tanks4me05

1. I'd recommend getting a degree in hospitality or business with electives geared toward the hospitality industry. You don't want to get stuck in a corner with limited options for your degree, so it's best to major in something that will allow you to find a career should your goal of working in the theme park industry not work out.

2. Many colleges seem to require internships, so I'd recommend seeing if you could do the Disney College Program as it. That way, you enter the program, and earn credit. I believe Disney also has professional internships, so if you can't enter the Disney College Program, you should try to get a professional internship when your done.

3. Try finding employment in other aspects of the hospitality industry, such as at a hotel, theater, etc.

@Tanks: Thanks man, very informative. I do plan on working an entry level job with the hopes of a degree to possible help me advance quicker than those without. I understand that everyone starts at the bottom. I'm hoping that if I were to apply for and be accepted into the Disney College Program that I could possibly network with various managers there and hopefully leave a good enough impression that they would be willing to put in a good word.

@Ace I'm actually already accepted and have received scholarships to the University that I plan on going to, but thanks for the suggestion. It does seem like a pretty good school.

@Airtime That's what I'm worried about. I don't want to just major in Business, as it is a very broad degree. I'll keep Hospitality in mind. I have read about the professional internships that they offer. The only downside is that they are much more competitive to get into than the Disney CP. As far as getting a job in another aspect of the hospitality industry, I figure that while I'm in college I can work in possibly a local hotel or something along those lines.

Depending on what you want to do in Management, I would say go for Business Major and a Communications Minor or vise verse. Neither would be bad to have because you would get the management skills from the major and customer service skills and other public relation skills from the minor.