TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Banshee: DROPPING dead this summer...

Just received a couple packages today from my friends at modelrollercoasterhq.com, kudos for making the dive machine train available! Coaster Dynamix was kind enough to supply some gray rails so the model will not have the red and yellow track color scheme.

Today I assembled the lift, turnaround, and the first of two vertical drops and did some speed tests on my dive machine rolling stock. The model will be of a unique, but realistic layout, sporting 2 vertical drops, a midcourse brake run, an Immelman, a Diving Loop' airtime hills and a 90 degree an turn. Color scheme will be red track, gray rails and burgundy support columns. When the coaster is completed and running, massive theming will be applied. I am currently finalizing a name and theme for the coaster. You can expect to see plants, a realistic station queue, transfer tracks, catwalks and decorative elements that will enhance the theme.

Here are the first of many pictures to come...

693147555_SC001.JPG.c0e5c1c53d30a41102484a05565dd1eb.JPG

Unboxing the beast: If you look closely you can see the package of passengers which will sit in the train.

524982378_SC002.JPG.a8c926c9c717b341e4e6c284653692df.JPG

(Left) Standard train included with Phoenix kit will not be used for this project. (Right) The dive machine train before paint and decals.

1498035192_SC003.JPG.caccdd7c40fce9b7a060956861630f79.JPG

After a couple hours it was time for a test dive.

1786344739_SC004.JPG.594d8cc101926899fd9f7d42d70b4229.JPG

For a new update, 'drop in' later this week. Thanks for looking

Edited by ECZenith

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After much trial and error, I was able to get the lift hill running and the coaster now runs from the station to the first drop at the push of a button! The lift hill was made steeper to resemble a real dive coaster more accurately. At the advice of Johhnyupsidedown, I replaced the chain dogs included with my dive train, with the newer, better-working chain dogs supplied with the Phoenix train.

219073327_SC005.JPG.d791e50a3250e7ba19450088a2047266.JPG

Can't put the passengers in until I paint and theme the train.

1827689801_SC006.JPG.d776efb06371ec6d54b4366072ac3451.JPG

In the foreground, you will see the two grey chain dogs removed from the dive train, two of the Phoenix's trains better chain dogs were sacrificed for the dive machine.

1148702844_SC008.JPG.fe689097eb89b4c40d0995799f8e241f.JPG

The kit included a station platform where most of the electronics are housed, because the dive machine train is too wide for the provided station, a custom one will be assembled. All electronic components are located beneath this station platform.

2020005028_SC007.JPG.f83a5f918eeb0d2e6f70ce3605cd5cc5.JPG

After flipping the power switch on, we get a red solid light and a flashing green light, and the train is ready to be dispatched.

1539555987_SC009.JPG.f4bac1af3eeea451e7fffa3b578ad41a.JPG

Success! After several different lift variations and modifying the chain dogs, the train reliably climbs the lift every time.

707558270_SC010.JPG.36a2b89752d29eccf0e48bfb29b8063c.JPG

Holding for the big drop... An Immelman will follow this massive fall.

Nice work, for an extra added realism, why not have the immelman roate to the right instead of the left (similar to Kraken) then have it go under the lift after the next support, would give better clearance than the current route.

Looking good though!

Thanks for the comments, Andy I will definitely try moving the Immelman around a bit. Originally I had it much taller but it wouldn't make it through every circuit, right now I need to order more parts, I'm kind of at a stalemate with the coaster.

• 4 weeks later...

I ordered a ton of new parts a few days ago, package should arrive any day now... This order will contain most of the parts I will need to finish the coaster's track. The modification to the design is as follows...

Station will be lower to the ground, lift is now about 8" longer, drop is now 8" taller, Immelman will be about 4" taller. From here the coaster will go through a rising fan turn up into a working MCBR, a second vertical drop will lead into a diving loop (momentum granting...) followed by a second fan turn into 2 bunny hops and then the brakes. I also plan on making a transfer track and maintenance shed which will house the dispatch button and extra wheels, lube, etc. (freefallxl, you are completely right about a smaller train being a better fit, I'm hoping the new layout will make the large train fit better so to speak. I'm going from Krake to Griffon style.)

The track will be painted deep purple and the supports black. I'm hoping Krylon Fusion paint will coat well over the bright red track. Haven't decided on the paint scheme for the train but it will be similar to the track. I will be using an airbrush to hopefully paint a gradient onto the train and I will make my own decals with the coaster's logo.The color scheme has been changed to better suit the name I have selected for this dive machine: Specter.

Because the wide train does not fit in the provided Phoenix "station", I am going to build a new station platform and building from plastruct and balsa, and paint/age it to resemble a decaying building. Once all of the track is in place, and everything is painted. I'm going to saw the plastic footer strips into single footers for more realism. The area will be landscaped with plaster and I'm hoping to make a tunnel towards the end of the ride through the "catacombs". A mini strobe light and fogger would look great if I could manage to pull it off.

The concept of this model is focused on detail and theming so you can bet once the track is done I will be getting very creative. I have already found some catwalks and spiral staircases at hobby shops to line the lift, MCBR and brakes/transfers. A marquee and "gift shop" will be built at the front of the model between the Immelman and Dive Loop, the queue will wind past the first vertical drop and underneath much of the coaster's signature elements. Theming will be heavy here, with tombstones and possibly some western-esque items. Stairs will lead up to the station which is about 4" inches off the ground, just enough for a train to swoop beneath it.

I'm hoping one of you fine folks can help me make some logos for this coaster... With a short name like Specter I'd really like it to have a ghastly, apparition-like appearance with maybe some motion blur on the sides. I used to have photoshop and be quite handy at this sort of thing but I don't have the software anymore. Would anyone like to come up with some logos for me? The best one will be sported on the marquee and both of the trains. Please post any sugestions, I am very open to them.

SpecterIsComing.jpeg.8512a7d64440da76de9fb5999eb7d9e6.jpeg

Looks great! I hope you fix the bottom of that first drop after the height adjustment though.

Also, I'd change the colour scheme back to the way it was originally with the silver rails. The red and blue is a good colour scheme without a doubt, but it's starting to look like a redesigned SheiKra.

That's a good point, Oreo. I wanted to use the prefab drop-curve parts to reduce shaking but the pull out at the bottom of the drop looks too abrupt. I may have to use flexible track all the way from the transition of the drop from vertical to horizontal all the way to the MCBR.

The only reason I don't want the coaster to be red and blue is because it will look like Sheikra too much and I want to convey a theme of dark spirits. The purple I use will be much darker, and if it looks good with the blue supports, I may not paint them.

I don't find the layout to be too much like Sheikra, there's only so much you can do with a dive machine layout, they are only capable of going through dive loops and Immelmans as far as inversions go and I want to go for realism here. Sheikra has more of a square footprint.

Also, I still will be using the silver rails, I just want to get more of the track in place before I rail it for testing. The silver rail isnt available for purchase on the website and has to be ordered specially. These CD models need a lot of trial and error with the layout. The layout is most likely going to have to be modified slightly many times to get it to run right every time.

^Yes, I'd recommend mixing and matching flex with prefab. Do prefab over just the holding brake (just like RCT), then do flex for the drop so it has a nice curvature to 90 and flat again. Hopefully you're able to do that okay (I've never used CD's new prefab system), but if it works, it'll look incredibly realistic. Also, you may be able to wrap the spring around the curve and holding zone to where it holds the train over and releases (well, moves it along and releases).

Also, that layout is very ambitious. CD Dive trains have no guide wheels, which from my experience with looper trains, severely cuts off speed. If you have one of the original Scorpion trains (and you plan on making this model permanent), see if you can mod the train to have the full, metal wheelset.

Near the end of the video, you see that the smoothly running train has modded Scorpion wheels. I'd recommend that for best performance. However, if you don't have access to them, there isn't much you can do. CoasterDynamix is redesigning the train to not have these awesome wheels anymore (because they are very breakable for non-modelers).

^ Excellent advice. I replaced the prefab drop pullout with the flexible track and it has stretched it out to look more realistic. I think I am going to keep the track red, constantly pulling off the rails causes damage to them and I don't want to have to keep getting new ones. Will most likely just paint the supports a different color.

This model will definitely be permanent. So you suggest I replace the entire bogies on the train? In other words, should I just pull off the row of seats and mount it to the Scorpion wheelset? Do you know if I order a Scorp train from CD will it still have the 3 metal wheels or have they replaced the wheel design even on the inverted models, or was it only the Phoenix that started changing the wheel design?

My drive spring (will actually be two long ones) will start at the last turnaround go through the transfer and station and all the way up the lift to the holding area before the drop, its the only way I can get it to go around reliably, definitely a good idea. Part of the plan to slow down the pacing of my layout and make sure I have enough energy for two vertical drops, may be to use a small drive spring on the mid course brake run to ensure it get sover the second, smaller drop. I know its ambitious but 'm going to try very hard to get it running properly. I want this thing to run nice so I can move on to theming it and it making it look nice.

Your tips are appreciated keep them coming, this is my first build.

053111001.JPG.0fa35a43edbde86869508d3ee152ab48.JPG

I put the rails back on to get a feel for things

053111002.JPG.60d84840b381d014488a92f671fb82fc.JPG

A side profile showing the more stretched pull-out

053111003.JPG.2605bd12443e9ea7acc7180451168bb3.JPG

Front view of what's there so far

Yeah, see if you can use prefabs on the holding brake, but ONLY to about 45-60 degrees. Then finish with all flex (going to 90, then pulling out). It'd make it look much more like this:

Also, if you don't have a Scorpion train yet, then sadly, you will not be able to get the metal wheels. Still, with some slight tweaks to your layout (in terms of height spacing), I'm sure it will turn out to work fine.

Good luck!

I tracked down an entire used Scorpion set for about 125 dollars, includes a 7 car train, enough bogies to frankenstein modify my dive machine trains as suggested. After watching your video I'm in awe at how well it maintains its speed and I'm gonna need that kind of consistency if I'm to have it make it all the way around the circuit.

I see what you guys mean by the drop only being vertical for a few feet, I'm expecting more flex track in the mail soon as well as a ton of new supports so I should be able to pull this off.

I never imagined I would get so much help, thank you guys for helping me proactively troubleshoot!

I completely redid the drop, using flexible track immediately after the holding brake. The angle seems much more realistic now, I used Sheikra's drop from photos as a model. Just received 40' of gray track today and I'm expecting more spine within a couple days.

I also purchased a used Scorpion model kit, mainly for parts including a train that has metal guide wheels per AJClarke0912's suggestion. Another dive machine train is on the way so I will have enough bogies for both trains after I sacrifice the 7 car inverted train for parts. Getting a scorpion kit also means I will have tons of supports and track clips so I should have just about everything I need to get this coaster completing full circuits within the next couple weeks!

053111004.JPG.eb0ca1a0703590bec5adb1e60ceff6ca.JPG

New drop profile

Does the drop still hit 90 degrees, at all?

I don't know much about CoasterDynamix, but I would say this project is definitely inspiring me to buy one of there kits and assemble it(nothing custom will be done). Anyways, this dive machine is looking pretty nice, I like the layout of it. Have you created and finished any of these models in the past? If so, can I have a link to see your work?

As for suggestions and/or tips, I'm completely blank.

If you need any more help, you could post on the CoasterDynamix forum, and hopefully montu32 will be around to tell you how he did it. If not, Johnny Upsidedown surely knows some other way to help, since he's modded so many trains (including a custom flyer train).

^Didn't know you signed up Kevin! Nice to see you here lol.

Is it very difficult to mount the dive machine seats to the old scorpion bogies? I'm hoping the screws are in the same place so I can just screw it back together without the help of adhesives. My dive machine trains are already in pieces awaiting paint and they're new wheels. On Saturday I'm going to make the final choice of paint and I should have some interesting pictures to post.

I'm just suggesting that you be careful. If you want to do it the way montu32 did it, just go ask him. It'd be the best way to get the best result. I'm not exactly sure whether you replace the wheelset or if you take the chairset off the dive train and put it on the Scorpion car.

Banshee rising...

That's right, I changed the name after seeing the final color scheme... I have always been fascinated with the legend of the banshee (thanks to my Irish heritage) and was excited when Cedar Point announced a "banshee" themed coaster. As many of you know, some found the name offensive and the name was changed to Mantis. According to legend, the shriek of the banshee, a ghastly female spirit signifies an oncoming death in the home it is heard in. I believe this name deserves a home even if it's on my model coaster and I will justify Banshee with a focus on dark theming throughout the queue, station and ride elements. I still need a logo to make decals to place on the trains, the trains are NOT done yet, I have only started painting them.

Decided today would be the day I tackle one of the more difficult procedures with building my dive coaster, painting. The coaster will be painted in preformed segments to prevent wear and cracking of the paint. So far I have painted all the way from the final turnaround all the way to the MCBR and crest of the second vertical drop. I advise using Krylon Fusion paint which bonds well with plastic. Because "plum" is not available in Krylon Fusion, I used white fusion paint as a primer before laying on several coats of purple. I also painted some of my finished supports in gloss black, the two colors look nice together IMO. I'll let the pictures do the talking, I think the paint fumes got to my head today.

Hacksaw.JPG.b40fc87f1d02e529299fbd829a02360c.JPG

Here's the final color scheme for the trains, purple base, blue seats, and black OTSRs. My Scorpion kit will be arriving in a couple days and my hacksaw is waiting to retrieve its wheelsets.

2120214343_BansheeColors.JPG.d1d5ad0f6b62265d1f3a0825e2de22ab.JPG

I think the new color scheme looks rather nice.

MCBR.JPG.e78fc7554c6ff220c695fdc9f7e8389f.JPG

Here is a piece of test track to show the colors all together. I apologize for the cell phone camera quality. When the project is done you can expect some nice high res shots and videos. Thanks for checking out the pictures, construction will be full steam ahead once the UPS truck gets here...

Banshee_by_michellemonique.jpg.9139650d317f1beba1a2bea98bf6d571.jpg

This is what a Banshee looks like

The myth has many variations, I personally like the one where the banshee is a beautiful young lady who can keep her deadly task a secret. This coaster will have a backstory to go along with its theme, the details will be worked out once the trackwork is done and I want to start on the queue. At the very least, I know the queue will wind through a graveyard and lead up to a decrepit old house which will serve as the station. The song of the banshee lures victims aboard, harvesting their souls 30 at a time.

BansheeDrop.JPG.812b63ef8d162b47c5c5d31fd4cdc29b.JPG

Still waiting for more support columns but the drop is starting to take its correct shape again. It's starting to look more and more like a dive machine.