TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Adventure Springs Mt Vernon [RCT2]

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the layout actually. It's short and to the punch, perfect for a park of this size. I especially like the first turnaround. Very nice.

My only complaint is the track color. It's very green and bland and fits in too much imo. Maybe try yellow?

@sfgamguy: For the parts of the ride without foliage, I was going for the "Canada's Wonderland"-esque feel with the empty fields. But thanks!

@B.A.B: Thanks man!

@MeMeMe: The short layout does tie in with the timeline, but you'll find out more of that later

@hulahoop1: Sure thing, next update after this one I will!

@Dotro: Thanks! I chose the green color scheme so it would hide itself beneath the trees, then pop out and scare the "guests" in the queue whenever a train comes by. But, a repainting in the future isn't out of the question

-----

A lot of arguments within the executive offices have been brewing. Many of the board of directors disagree with the way the park's been evolving. I'll still stand by my opinions and ideas though, as CEO of the company. Hopefully things can settle down in the near future.

New for this year is a new wrap-around pathway from the bridge to Carnivora. With it came new souvenir shops and restrooms, and a brand new Chaos flat ride aptly named "Chaos". The new area looks very nice and offers a nice amount of shade to get out of the heat!

advs1991(3).jpg.55b9cb9b8cde0192f2adf3cbd8e9d158.jpg

The new ride is a lot of fun!

advs1991.jpg.e5b4ca30e3b675e1559202eea5a02229.jpg

Carnivora is still a great ride after the off season.

Hope to see you at the park soon!

-----------

What do you guys think of the new area?

-Braztaz

Edited by braztaz

K, few things. Firstly layout looks great with the foliage you did, and also if you want people to be "scared" when the car pops out try a lighter color to make it stand out. Then new area- I like the brown building, and the little pavilions, but whati think would really help would be in you connected the buildings together more, and turned it into more facades with a back, rather that single buildings. Its something I always struggle with but it certainly looks better. It starting to layout very nicely and you've improved a ton, keep it up.

Although I don't think this needs a big facade like sfgam said. I do agree that more of your buildings need to be connected. It also saves time by saving you the trouble of detailing one or two more sides. Think buildings like foliage. Little clumps. Of course this can or might not apply to some situations.

Anyway I sense you were kind of inspiration-less with the backside of the station. It does not make much sense. I kind of get you wanted a barn style building with supports? Well windows with flowerboxes might do the trick instead. And also use all brown brick on the break run instead of green and brown. It does look like a tree but I don't think it's appealing

But looks great as usual

The back of the station is fine, it just needs some foliage.

Oh, yeah, was this really necessary?

Anyway I sense you were kind of inspiration-less with the backside of the station.

I could be reading it wrong, but that seems rather harsh.

Edited by CoasterCreator9

^^ You are reading it wrong :l. Considering I kind of think of rct2 as an art form and a game which requires inspiration to build something truly great, an artist(player) might not have any inspiration. So he would be inspiration-less.

What i meant by inspiration-less was him pairing up the steel lattice fences with the slanted art deco fixtures and the fence posts. It doesn't represent how good he can build and doesn't look visually aesthetic opposed to a lot of the stuff he makes.

But everybody is entitled to their opinions, at the end of the day it's his park and I'm merely contributing my suggestions and opinions for him to take or not ^^ (although I don't add that to my posts)

^^ You are reading it wrong :l. Considering I kind of think of rct2 as an art form and a game which requires inspiration to build something truly great, an artist(player) might not have any inspiration. So he would be inspiration-less.

What i meant by inspiration-less was him pairing up the steel lattice fences with the slanted art deco fixtures and the fence posts. It doesn't represent how good he can build and doesn't look visually aesthetic opposed to a lot of the stuff he makes.

But everybody is entitled to their opinions, at the end of the day it's his park and I'm merely contributing my suggestions and opinions for him to take or not ^^ (although I don't add that to my posts)

Okay, that makes more sense, sorry for the misunderstanding.

• 2 weeks later...

Without Dotro, I wouldn't be anywhere near where I am now. All the advice he gives me really isn't worth his time so I'm thankful he's taking the time to help me out. You all are so defensive!

----

1992 brings a brand new action-packed arcade to Colonial VA! Tons of cool arcade games and activities is a great addition to Adventure Spring's family friendly line-up of attractions.

advs1992.jpg.c59d3ef2650bb45e3e5adcb9c4a64229.jpg

Other additions to better the atmosphere and maintain the clean feeling the park has help up for so many years have taken place near Carnivora's plaza.

advs1992(1).jpg.f9eb1f05b76ebfd41ffacbd211296eba.jpg

-----

What do you guys think?

-Braztaz

If there's one thing wrong with this park, it's the paths; for example, in the first screen, the colors of the path and the building to the left are too similar to look good; I'd suggest either changing the path to tarmac or the same types you have in the second screen.

The Curse of Adventure Springs Continues

Adventure Springs and the CEO, George Silverman, hit a massive streak of bad luck starting in 1993. It all started on a dreary April night, in which Mr. Silverman recieved a call from one of the board of directors, Andrew Ridgedale. He stated that the board unanimously agreed that they didn't like where he was leading the park and the company.

Silverman always focused on the family appeal, and showcasing Virginia's natural beauty in his new attractions. The only major thrill attraction he added was Jetstream in 1977 and Yorktown Siege in 1986. Ridgedale believed that the only way Adventure Springs was to survive in the new modern age of roller coasters is to convert the park into a zone for thrill-seekers and families alike. Silverman immediately rejected the idea, and the matter was disclosed until 1994.

Ridgedale put together a meeting for board members, city council, and citizens on November 15th, 1994 to discuss the matter. Ridgedale stated that converting the park would bring in more revenue for surrounding areas, more tourists, and more profits for the park itself. Silverman still disagreed, stating that larger rides would scare the families away. The true roots of why he revived the park from it's abandoned state was to appeal to families around Fort Belvoir, and schools visiting for Mount Vernon.

After a lengthy debate, it was settled that Silverman was to resign from his position as CEO effective December 1st, 1995. This decision caused even more controversy with Silverman's followers, many of which decided to resign on their own after Silverman's depature.

As all this was happening, the park seemed to be neglected, in a sense...No new attractions were added from 1993-1997, reflected by the uncertainty of the company.

But, by the end of 1996, the controversy started to die down as the last of Silverman's followers left, and the focus of rebuilding the company and park was set on full gear. All throughout 1997, Ridgedale, the new CEO, met with several manufacturers and designers to kickstart Adventure Springs' new era of thrill.

The year 1998 brought Adventure Springs' first addition since 1992...a HUSS Top Spin "Forest Fire".

advs1998.jpg.811cf426233f637d53a52a6a32d4d6e2.jpg

This new addition is complete with fire effects, giving riders a sense of danger as if they're closing down on a real Forest Fire in the woods of VA.

Speculation ensues on the park's 1999 addition, which is said to be a roller coaster...and a big one, at that. I'll try to report to you on new information when it comes...but for now, do you have any guesses as to what this mysterious attraction may be?

---

-Braztaz

So how many of you actually read this whole thing?

CC9:

----------

ADVSTHERMO.jpg.47e98734e12ed950140d1cddc98b5ff9.jpg

In 1999, Adventure Springs is set to debut the TALLEST roller coaster on the east coast! Standing at a record 205 feet tall, THERMOCLINE will feature a 65 degree angle 200 foot drop into the Virginian forests, 6 airtime hills, a 125ft Hammerhead, a surprise 100ft drop from the brake run, and a forceful helix!

advs1999(2).jpg.d258e1308ca3aaa3b06af3c98501bb26.jpg

A thermocline is a layer in a body of water in which temperature changes more rapidly with depth than usual.

advs1999(1).jpg.429ecdf48f04e42a25805b454e6d4c68.jpg

Thermocline adds to Adventure Springs' collection of 5 world-class roller coasters.

advs1999(5).jpg.f706e41e7187fc3b8928d665a7202571.jpg

Signs are located in the queue stating facts about the ride and facts about the thermocline layer.

advs1999(3).jpg.f0e7a4155e87fd830ed6b744442ba57b.jpg

One of the original plazas from the 1920s have been updated to include a food court and another indoor arcade with modernized restrooms. Trees have been demolished to give guests an unobstructed view of Thermocline.

advs1999(4).jpg.973661eca8f0c4b73cee2be6178a8aac.jpg

More pictures to come as the ride's media day and opening pass by. As of now, the ride's lift hill, two largest airtime hills, and hammerhead are visible from Route 1. (Along with Yorktown Siege's lifthill and Sky Cabin). Rumor has it that Adventure Springs' skyline will become much more defined in the years to come.

Adventure Springs is located off of Route 1, just 5 miles outside of Mount Vernon in Fort Belvoir. Joint tickets between Mount Vernon and Adventure Springs are available, season pass to Adventure Springs does not include unlimited visits to Mount Vernon.

-----

What do you guys think? The foliage of course isn't finished but what about the new plaza and the ride itself? Love to hear your opinions!

-Braztaz

Braz-

Love the coaster... but the name??? As much as meteorology is good for finding coaster names, Thermo-cline just doesn't ring any bells for me- and it makes me think of a La-Z-Boy recliner, or something akin to a home health-care bed.

Otherwise, the ride itself is amazing; the CS on the supports is tremendous (BTW: Seeking some help with Intamin A.G. supports for a giga-project) and I think the ride will be tremendous at the end of the day.

it makes me think of a La-Z-Boy recliner

I thought of a La-Z-Boy recliner with insulated heated and cooling systems. =P

I do love the ride, but I do agree on the name, if you're going for something meteorology-ish how about Atmosfear? Just a suggestion, great work so far! Keep it up!

- Oreo

Braz-

Love the coaster... but the name??? As much as meteorology is good for finding coaster names, Thermo-cline just doesn't ring any bells for me- and it makes me think of a La-Z-Boy recliner, or something akin to a home health-care bed.

Otherwise, the ride itself is amazing; the CS on the supports is tremendous (BTW: Seeking some help with Intamin A.G. supports for a giga-project) and I think the ride will be tremendous at the end of the day.

It's a layer of air/water/fluid where temperature rapidly changes between other layers.

Also, I was right. Looks awesome!

I was thinking about naming it Thermoclimb for it to make more sense, but I thought that would take a bit too much away from the thermocline theme. Thinking back on it, I think I should rename it Thermoclimb....is that any better?

And thank for the kind words on the new ride!

RD: If you need any help with the supports, feel free to PM me!

^I've always felt that with the old-school pre-drop, the coaster looks fine even with the in-game 205ft scale.

-----

ThermoCLIMB has been receiving rave reviews from riders since it's opening! It's known to give more forceful airtime than the two other B&M hypercoasters that opened this year and has found it's place on the top of enthusiasts' favorites list.

advs1999(8).jpg.9db17158f8f21e068a7c65df4969382f.jpg

Here's more pics of the revamped area!

advs1999(6).jpg.f15a65f8ae487acd40cde9cc160df1e6.jpg

The hammerhead turn sure is a lot of fun!

advs1999(7).jpg.b96d00b517873df2c9b101e1c777bb9a.jpg

Also, construction plans have been leaked! I'm not allowed to show you the exact papers that were released, but it's calling for the next new rollercoaster to be added in 2001, to revamp the ENTRANCE area of the park! It's filed to have a height of 155ft! But, (this is very vague so I'm not 100% sure) it's going to be replacing an older roller coaster, whose service will end in summer of 2000. The two coasters near the entrance of the park would be Jetstream and Rickety Ranger, the two oldest coasters in the park. I really wish that none of them would go, both of them have a very special place in my heart....I hope this rumor isn't true!

----

What do you guys think of the new pictures? Any guesses on the rumored 2001 ride, and which coaster do you think may be removed?

-Braztaz

I haven't seen any full layout pics, but I can already tell the stats should be adjusted; it says 205 feet tall, but you shouldn't measure according to the game's units, as they are unrealistic.

It's only unrealistic if your translating real life transitions, but actually, using the height markers helps with pacing issues--never had a problem with it.

Rct is a modeling game, not a coaster simulator, and I think people forget that.

Anyways, Jake, You're getting so good!

I haven't seen any full layout pics, but I can already tell the stats should be adjusted; it says 205 feet tall, but you shouldn't measure according to the game's units, as they are unrealistic.

It's only unrealistic if your translating real life transitions, but actually, using the height markers helps with pacing issues--never had a problem with it.

Rct is a modeling game, not a coaster simulator, and I think people forget that.

Anyways, Jake, You're getting so good!

This all is true, but RCT isn't so much a modeling game, it's simply ment to be a tycoon game, we can just turn it into something better.

Love the B&M, and your buildings are becomming much better!

Edited by CoasterCreator9