RCT/RCT II Contests Thread

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Halfway point update:

11 entries- plus the one I've put up as well (my own) with one that's a potential DQ due to being out of format. I've e-mailed him to send us the 'saved game' format- instead of the Scenario format (for obvious reasons; if he's made it into a scenario, it's going to be impossible to see if he's 'fixed' the park up with that feature)

Not a bad start- but I want to double that, plus some.

My goal is 25 entries this round- if not more. C.P.M. will be 'promoting' the park today- and continuing to offer encouragement along the way.

R.D.

I'm thrilled with 18; i'd set a goal of 25- but 18 is still our best to date.

I'm taking down the last of the entries now and will be posting the voting thread tommorow AM early- voting will close on Monday at midnight PST.

(BTW: In San Fran right now- so may be more 'offline' than not for the next few days...)

Voting is up and running- the poll runs to early Tuesday due to time-zone difficulties- but we'll post it to close of business on Monday (Midnight, PDT)

Everyone is open for voting, and I clarified the vote to make it easier for the 'less apt' members of the Forum/Exchange. I'll begin the verification process today (Just to be on the 'safe' side of things).

C.P.M. will be announcing the winners on Tuesday morning in a week, as well as his choice for the other prize.

Leafy Lake TPR challenge v 1.0 is in the works; after some searching, digging and dust removal, I was able to find my original RCT I disks, and installed it to adapt in the RCT II scenario engine. I was a bit shocked to see just how primitive the RCT I looked on my machine (I'm using Win7 and a machine that's pretty powerful) and it was a shock to the senses there for a bit.

The concept behind the 'new' Leafy Lake challenge is this:

C.P.M. and his friend Mr. Peabody (and his boy Sherman) take a trip back in time to Medival England, where Mr. Peabody defeats a knight for his castle and land. Finding out C.P.M. could use the land in the future, we travel back to present day- and C.P.M. has begun to setup the park. In order to succeed, though, you need land- and the park itself isn't too big. You can buy land- but Mr. Peabody has raised the prices on it to staggering levels- so be careful how much you need.

The objective is open-ended, so our 'scenery' junkes will have a field day- but I'm setting a -year- limit of 10 for the base objective of 12,000 per month in revenue from ride sales. Not too easy- but not hard, either, and I'll start promoting the park up sometime today or tommorow for next week's early on release.

Did we ever contact the winners?

I'm assuming the answer is no because of the Japan Trip, but I'm not sure.

EDIT - why was 6 afraid of 7? Because 7 ate 9 (my post count as of now).

Edited by A.J.

• 3 months later...
Oh, by the way...

I had no idea that the park you put in the Preview thread was the new challenge. Honest! No idea!

PBbbbbbbtttttt... I'd been dropping hints all over the website for the past few weeks, to try and get some anticipation for it. Time will tell.

BTW: I'm going AFK/TPR for about 10 days starting Wednesday AM; headed home to SF while I get some medical work done (No, it's not the fifth facelift people keep assuming...) but I'll be checking in on the thread- could y'all try to 'guide' our special folks into playing this? Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
So I was thinking with the success of the first RCT2 showdown, with over 20 participants, why not make this new showdown "official," seeing the boost of people already interested in it. The contest would take a month as it is. Thoughts?

I've got mixed emotions on this: While the idea is a great one- and something 'different' for the exchange, my concern is there would be, in the end, only four parks going INTO the exchange at the end of the showdown.

The goal I tend to set for a TPR Challenge (And the upcoming TPR Track Challenge) is to get people to upload/download from the exchange- and to increase posts of parks and tracks, etc. The last TPR challenge had a total of 8 uploads, and nearly 70 downloads- which is movement across that area. My goal is usually to get at least 12-15 entries, plus at least 100 downloads, of a given park.

If there was a way to increase the number of uploads and downloads for it, then I'd be for it- But that's got to be a critical factor in the success of it: Traffic across the exchange.

The other thing is that December will be a good month to ring in some movement to the exchange/boards as well: If you could run it in January, for example, I'd be for that as well. December we're going to gain traffic as kids get bored off of the holidays/dealing with the relatives, etc. and I've been thinking of having CPM do a 'Cyber-Monday' track sale (up the points for a week) to boost traffic, as well as the first TPR Track Challenge (Picture the TPR challenge- but with tracks... themed to a particular time: Winter Wonderland, for example). The TPR Track challenge is currently set to drop on 19 December; the 'Cyber Monday' bonus will start on 12 December.

Let me know what you think- I'm not opposed to the idea, and I think that it would be worth it- but if we could gain additional uploads/downloads it would be much better for the exchange: For example- Each of the 20 contestants would have to submit a ride to the exchange along the way; Developing a way to get people to upload things. The other thing I'd say is a MUST for it is no CS (Yes, I can hear the WHY??? now...) but if it's going to be something to push the exchange forward, then everybody should have access to it- not just those with the CS kits installed. I've had issues with CS uploads/downloads before- and I'd not like to repeat that for our regular guests.

R.D.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so, I deliberately kept the poll hidden. I'm thinking AlmereStars is going to win the popular vote. I think we should give the moderation team vote to AJClarke, or the other way around if it ends up that way. Agreed?

I've yet to take a look at the parks myself- but there was an intentional spirit of the game that was this:

1.) Preserve the park's gardens- at any cost.

2.) Use the land wisely, efficiently, and without overbuilding to win the game.

3.) Make the park look attractive, without it being "Pretty Building and scenery Tycoon"

4.) Keep the spirit of the park in line with the rides- this is a JUNIOR park, not a 'Slip a B&M Hyper into the park because it's there" challenge.

Keep those in mind when doing the moderator's choice award- as if they have ANY of those four ideals broken, they can't qualify for it.

If nobody reaches that point, then so be it; we have only 8 entries, so I think that it's not really a requirement that we hand out a second BoC. However, the first choice winner's name and address need to be sent to me after they're announced- as I've got a BoC here spare.