TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

RCT/RCT II Contests Thread

I thought it might be easier to separate out the individual contest threads to make it easier to discuss and refine ideas overall.

So here it is- I think this is a worthy TPR Challenge to get started with: May I present to you, Grand Gardens- the CRAPPIEST place on earth.

In this scenario, members playing the scenario are given a park worthy of any bad Japanese or SixFlags park- I.E. REALLY bad rides, TOGO death Machine, Vekoma SLC, that weird-ass japanese shuttle coaster with the funk-T-Fied loop.

Not to mention: No sweepers, no characgters, no theming whatsoever.

I've attempted to make this as simple, easy and fun a level to begin with- no CS/CRs are used, so we can get as many people playing this scenario as possible- and so that we can generate traffic as quickly as possible with the game.

A.J. et al- Give it a go, and tell me what needs refinement, what works, and what should be adjusted along the way. I'll hold of on posting it till I get a review of it- but I've already taken shots of the park to post as a 'teaser' of the level itself.

As for judging the contest: I've actually thought about this. People download the level, play the level, then upload the park at the end of the challenge- as it is. They submit their photos of the park in progress to the forum (title TBD, will figure that out when I start the contest). We can also upload their winning parks to inspect for 'creative' changes- I.E. Cheats, hacks, and related. Once we get all of the entries together (I'm posting it as a two-week run) we can then move onto picking the ones we like for open voting from there from the members. The winner would receive a TPR Bag Of Crap as the first prize.

Criteria for our judging:

Creative use of land and terrain

Best use of rides to fit the theme

Realism

effecive scenery use

Crowd control and flow

Happiness of the guests

I've not posted this yet to the TPR Games Exchange to prevent early starters on the contest- but once it's fixed up, it will go there under Matt's "TPR Contests" name.

Give it a go, and let me know what you think-

R.D.

TPR Challenge I.zip

TPR Challenge I

Edited by QueerRudie

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Taking a quick peek tonight, and I'll play it tomorrow.

Oh boy!

EDIT: Missing Object Data. MGR2-something or other. I have an original RCT2 install, with no expansion packs. Did you use an expansion pack? There are a lot of players here who don't use expansion packs either.

EDIT THE SEQUEL: Could you post a saved game of it? I'll run it through ParkDAT, clean out the WW/TT stuff, and make it a scenario again. It might work, and you won't have to make the scenario all over again.

Edited by A.J.

Yes- It's got both LL and TT added into it.

Here's the saved game of Grand Gardens... the CRAPPIEST place on EARTH!

Let me know what else needs refining too, not just gameplay. It'd be easier to adjust the park's basic format before we post it, and make sure that it works all around.

I've also been thinking of a way to 'encourage' more people to play the game: A XXXX bonus for people who submit an entry to this contests- I.e. they upload their park to the exchange.

Thoughts, everybody?

R.D.

GG III.SV6

Saved game of Grand GardensIII

Before I run this through ParkDAT, I need to know - are any WW/TT rides actually built in the park (as opposed to being in the build window)? If they are, I can't touch it because it will cause a serious error.

Also, when I delete an Objdata in ParkDAT, it automatically researches all the attractions. Is that a problem as well?

The three coasters that are built into the game are 1.) Standup Coaster (TOGO Standup Death Machine), Compact Inverted Coaster (Vekoma SLC Death Machine) and Corkscrew Coaster (Insane Japanese Shuttle Loop Death Machine). There is also a TopSpin from Huss.

If anything gets deleted, that's fine- I can ressurect the park easily (I've got it saved in four formats so far)- but if there were a list of rides that were in WW/TT it might make it easier to adjust- Otherwise, do as you will- it's no problem for me to fix the park as it comes back to me.

R.D.

Unfortunately - me trying and failing resulted in me having to do a clean re-install of RCT2.

Sorry, I wish I could help you out. I know I'm in the minority only having RCT2 vanilla, but being down here in Florida I am not in a position to go home and relentlessly search for my Triple Thrill Pack disc.

Not a problem- and you raise a valid point too- if I 'thin down' to just the base RCTiI, it might be easier (and far less complicated) for our members to play- and thus attracting more of an audience all over.

What I'll do is look for a list of 'rides' etc. that are from just the RCT II base edition- and build the game-level around that; I know the coasters themselves are all in RCT2.1.01 release- and with some effort, I can preserve the level as it is- and simply use only 1.0 edition.

the CRAPPIEST place on earth will live, oh yes, it will live!

R.D.

... And here it lives again: the revised for 'vanilla' RCT II Grand Gardens- I think this should be just about ready to release to the populous; This version is entirely RCT II v.1 (i.e. no add-ons, no CS, nothing fancy-) but should work out fine-

Take a look, have some fun, enjoy- I'll be ready to post it once somebody gives it a decent review-

R.D.

TPR Challenge IIa.zip

Grand Gardens- the CRAPPIEST place on earth.

OK: Here it is: the final version of the TPR RCT II Challenge, episode 1: Grand Gardens.

In order to get this out ASAP- and to get it rolling, I de-installled all of my RCT II subsets- and re-installed just the master disk, to ensure that it's playable on ANY RCT II system.

The Rules of TPR Challenge I:

1.) No hacks, CS, CRs or Trainers. End of story. Reason? Simply put: Not all of us use add-ons, not all of us use custom scenery, not all of us use hacks and related- In fact, I've yet to use a hack or trainer for the game.

2.) Anyone caught hacking the game will be banned. Unsportsmanlike conduct is forbidden.

3.) You may submit your park once.

4.) There is no finite solution to the park in order to qualify for the challenge. While this is a basic scenario, if somebody comes up with a good park and does not 'win' the level, they will be considered as part of the pool to vote on.

5.) People who enter their park in the challenge will file their park in this format: TPRC1(username) which would read like this: TPRC1QueerRudie.

6.) All people wishing to be considered for the challenge will have their parks uploaded to the exchange by 12:00AM on 27 march 2011. That gives everybody two weeks to play the game in.

7.) All people who enter should submit pictures taken from the game to the TPR Challenge I thread in the games forum- (I'll post this on Sunday night, and release the game on Monday Morning as a 'sticky'; I figure we'll get some good traffic over that period of time. Matt, could you issue a Facebook statement on Monday- and is it possible to get the thread mounted on the Header page on Monday as well?)

8.) Joint projects will not be allowed for this contest. You must submit your own work to be part of the challenge.

9.) Contenders will be compiled into a voting format on Monday, 28 March 2011, and voting will open that evening. There will be one week to cast votes across ALL members of TPR, not just our Games forum. (I want this to show people that we're serious here, and this challenge is designed to introduce all of our members to the Exchange and Games Forum)

10.) Each member will be asked to post at LEAST four pics of their completed park: An overview shot, A 'most important ride' shot, a 'best use of land shot' and a 'user's choice' shot. These will be posted to the exchange as well as the thread- as well as used during voting.

11.) All people who enter the challenge will recieve a 50 pt. bonus to their Exchange account. (Is this enough? too much? Just about right?) I REALLY want people to play this level- I'm pretty sure we've got some winning ideas out there.

12.) Anybody who fails to adhere to the TOS/Games Forum Etiquitte will be removed from the competition.

13.) Parks to be judged for final contention should have a balance of theming, good ride design, good traffic flow and overall use of land. I'm less concerned with how much money somebody has, but more for how the park looks at the end of the game. Size of wallet doesn't matter here, but what you DO with the scenario does.

Here's the file itself- any changes that might be needed beforehand, let me know. The reason I'm trying to get this out quickly is that I'm having surgery on Monday evening, and I'd like to get this out beforehand- waiting too long doesn't suit me here. And it would be a good time, with spring breaks starting up all over-

R.D.

Grand Gardens- TPR Challenge V.zip

The Grand Gardens file- before posting it.

First off, I like how the park is currently, and also the fact a lot of peeps are leaving the park in dissatisfaction.

However, here is my response to the rules quoted below:

The Rules of TPR Challenge I:

1.) No hacks, CS, CRs or Trainers. End of story. Reason? Simply put: Not all of us use add-ons, not all of us use custom scenery, not all of us use hacks and related- In fact, I've yet to use a hack or trainer for the game.

2.) Anyone caught hacking the game will be banned. Unsportsmanlike conduct is forbidden.

Considering the goal of this is to complete the scenario, in turn, hacking will not help complete the task. Rather, hacking is just to make the park look better, which in turn, takes away from the task of completing the scenario to begin with. 5 game years (which is the same as 5 hours) is not a lot of time to complete a park that a hacker would want to, so really, hacking is more of a disadvantage in my eyes.

I understand not a lot of people will choose to use these tools, but using them or not, it takes nothing from the game really. You can do a lot without trainers as well, but what trainers do is give you another aspect of creativity that just the game can't provide. The game is an outlet for creativity, and I think hindering something the community of RCT2 here uses to produce such creative ideas will result in a lower participation, and that is something we don't want.

Just my two cents.

Understood- But I think for the first challenge or two, it shouldn't be allowed- not yet at least.

I hope to see people using their skills within the original framework of the game to begin with- after that, who knows- I don't think any boundaries are needed- but to get people in I want it to be as fair a game-playing field here as possible.

In the future, however, I'll need some guidance on these things: I've yet to use any of them- so I'm not entirely sure as to how they would function with RCT II.

It's a go for MOnday then, Robb- I'll post it first thing in the morning-

R.D.

^ Let's do it Monday. Putting anything out on the site during a weekend is like update suicide.

QFT.

I'll edit your rules post today or tomorrow to make it as easy to read for everyone as possible. You have to remember that these have to be spelled out for the lowest common denominator (and it's a sliding scale).

Robb, whose the best guy to get this up on the front page as our "First TPR Game Exchange Contest"?

That'd be great, Matt-

I'll write the pre-script/post script to be added on about the actual level, etc. today. I've also got plenty of pics of the park during the 'development' stage to post with it- I'll add those on when I finish the pre/post script-

R.D.

As for the "TPR Challenge" Here goes- use what you want, etc.

TPR Challenge I: RCT II- Grand Gardens:

To introduce the Games Exchance, we've come up with our first OFFICIAL TPR Challenge.

Welcome to Grand Gardens, the CRAPPIEST place on earth. Grand Gardens started off as a park by a somewhat reclusive, yet grand minded gentleman, who, sadly, had delusions of building a park along the lines of Six Flags or Cedar Point. He found rides at auction for a deep, deep discount- and for a good reason: Who would WANT them? He picked up a TOGO standup coaster, a Vekoma SLC, and a Sansei Shuttle Loop. Spending money wildly, he built a wooden coaster, as well as some smaller flat rides.

Running out of money, Grand Gardens is in desperate shape- It can't take on anymore debt, all the staff were fired, and the park is in bad shape. It's your turn to fix things up.

The challenge? Play the Grand Gardens TPR Challenge scenario, and see what you can do with it. You have five years to work with. Your goal is to repay the debt, and to have an attendance of 2500 people.

And here's the thing: All you need is RCT II. No add ons. No special scenery. No special theming. Just RCT II.

The judging criteria are this: Even if you DON'T beat the scenario, you will be considered for an honorable mention- or even in the final voting for the winner. We want to see your best RCT II efforts- that is, what would YOU do if you had this park. Everybody who completes the challenge (That is, beats the scenario) will be entered into final voting.

Everybody who PLAYS the challenge, and turns in a park will get a 50 pt. bonus in their exchange accounts! That's right- you get something just for playing the level.

ONE lucky winner, as voted on by our members will get a TPR BAG OF CRAP!!!!! You read that right- A REAL, AUTHENTIC, GENUiNE, ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES TPR BAG OF CRAP!

The contest begins today, Monday 3/14/11, and runs through Monday, 3/28/11. On Wed, 3/30/11, the voting will begin for the winner, and will last one week.

Good luck, and enjoy the scenario!

end of TPR Challenge letter-

Matt was re-writing the rules I posted earlier in the week- those I'd presume are to be added to the bottom of this. Did I forget anything for this side of the challenge?

R.D.

Is there a link to the scenario in the exchange? And can we set it up in the exchange so that the scenario and the contest entries are in the same category?

Like can we make a "Type" called "TPR Challenge" or something?

Robb, whose the best guy to get this up on the front page as our "First TPR Game Exchange Contest"?

do you not have access to the front page editor? I thought I set it up for you...

I've never used it. Not sure you want me monkeying with it if we want this up today.