TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Need some THEMED park suggestions

Well, I already know where I can go for exciting roller coasters. My question is this- after Disney and Universal, what parks in the US are the best in terms of THEMED rides? We're talking miles of ambiance, elaborate pre-shows and queues, and other theming designed to remove you from the amusement park vibe. Does anything stack up against what goes down in Orlando and Cali?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dollywood has Mystery Mine which is heavily themed, but doesn't offer a pre-show. The rest of Dollywood is still themed, but none of the other rides are as themed (well Blazing Fury is themed pretty heavily also). Busch Gardens Africa is themed, but most of the coasters are just landscaped, and none have a pre-show. I haven't been to Busch Gardens Europe, but it's pretty much the same.

There's a place in Arizona called Old Tucson Studio's that is an actual western movie set. Only a few kiddie rides, but the best thing they offer is a horseback ride through the surrounding desert. If you like westerns, it's pretty awesome to ride a horse around where some of the classic John Wayne westerns and Tombstone were shot. I even remember riding through the set of "The High Chaparral" TV series set and past where they filmed some of Young Guns 2. As for rides, they just have a miniature train, some cars and i think a carousel, there used to be a "Rio Bravo" canoe adventure, but I'm pretty sure thats gone.

Other, than that is mostly just shows and stuff to look at. Theres a little "mine" where you go in and get educated about different ore, and then on the way out you get to pick some rocks out that are from a real mine. If you payed attention and are patient enough to look a little while you can find real gold and silver nuggets, of course there's copper and other ore as well. It's all done by weight, so a chunk of copper costs the same as a chunk of gold as long as its the same weight.

Not a huge place and depending on how much your into it, you could be done in an hour or two. Oh and they do have a Halloween event, which i understand is pretty awesome, but i haven't been to it yet.

I was reading that the Paramount Parks used to be more heavily themed before they were sold. It's sad to see this sort of thing go by the wayside. One of my favorite parks is Silver Dollar City in Branson, MO. The entire park feels like you've stepped back in time, and the rides continue that illusion, whether the story calls for an exploding dynamite shed or a turn of the century weather device. No ride exists for its own sake, but they all play into the fantasy of the park. To me it's a richer experience (plus the SDC roller coasters are no slouches).