TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Hollywood's Halloween Horror Nights (HHN) - 2012

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there tonight it actually wasn't bad at all. Terror Tram had a big line early because once everyone heard it was closing at nine they ran over there first. Even then it was only 30 mins, the longest wait I was in all night was about 45 mins for La Llorona.

That's not that bad. I went opening night and it was a lot worse. I think I waited about 50 mins for the Thing and 45 for La Llorona but I did all the other mazes earlier so they had no wait. Except House of 1000 Corpses and Wolfman which I did both right before closing which were both pretty much walk-ons. I think I'll go on a Thursday sometime later this month so the lines won't be bad at all.

It's not surprising at all. It has no close by competition (Haunt is competition, but in the greater LA region, there is nothing but smaller independent haunts or HHN to chose from) and Haunt has probably gotten old for many people. I hope HHN is able to stay fresh and keep the momentum going.

Personally, I was kind of bored of HHN this year...great looking sets, still too much obnoxious water and not enough in-your-face scaring (too much of the "press foot pedal to trigger audio/lighting, pop out, repeat").

^Really? You were bored? Well, honestly I thought this year was a lot better than last and liked some of the design changes in the houses especially La Llorona and Welcome to My Nightmare. But I still agree to much water and trigger scares. That's what Haunt does better is having the Scareactors hide around corners in the pitch black which is more unexpected than a clearly seen door on a wall. La Llorona had a few of the trigger scares but most weren't as obvious as previous years. I also thought that Welcome to My Nightmare was cool about having the Scareactors close to you and not rely so heavily on those trigger type scares.

I agree, HHN really wasn't as exciting as it has been. They still put on an amazing event as usual but to me it just felt ok compared to past years. One thing that kind've bothered me was the increase of shaker cans. They're not scary, they work here and there but when you give one to pretty much every actor like they did on the Terror Tram and House of Horrors that gets boring and repetitive real fast.

I agree, HHN really wasn't as exciting as it has been. They still put on an amazing event as usual but to me it just felt ok compared to past years. One thing that kind've bothered me was the increase of shaker cans. They're not scary, they work here and there but when you give one to pretty much every actor like they did on the Terror Tram and House of Horrors that gets boring and repetitive real fast.

QFT

I agree, Scare Tactics is one thing Universal needs to really reconsider.

The shaker can thing seems to be in sharp contrast to the scare tactics used at HHN Orlando. I wonder why they are relying on that so much? Looking at the videos of the houses online, they have the atmosphere and amazing sets so you would think they wouldn't need to rely on cheep noise scares.

I don't get scared so I'm not too picky about scare techniques. I went through Hostel twice by myself at the beginning of my second night there, I'm not that scared. I'm just a member of the general public, and I enjoyed the event throroughly. I would have preferred an unlimited Front of Line option, but the VIP thing was pretty cool - I wish Orlando had something as good.

Rat Lady in the VIP lounge was off the wall!

I was bored because looking at pretty sets gets old after awhile. I very much enjoy the art of the scare, having been involved with Haunt, HHN, and now Dark Harbor over the last 8 years, and sadly I think HHN really lacks creativity in that department. It's either a startle scare w/ a cue or a gross out effect (which are admittedly cool, but there's just too many of them...). Or chainsaws (which there are also too many of).

^I don't get scared at the events so I love walking through the sets and enjoying the environment. But I still wish the scares would be less predictable to add to the feeling and environment of the maze.

Oh and don't even get me started about how I hate the chainsaws. Its amazing that Knott's has like 2 and Universal has about 50. They don't scare people from what I have seen and the are too noisy to even sneak up on people. Another thing I wish they would do is put some effort into the Scarezones. Looking at Singapore's made ours like like some Home Haunt's. Freaks was a huge step up when it debuted as well as Welcome to Hell, but there hasn't been one as memorable as those two in a while.

I believe I will be going to Horror Nights tomorrow night. Does anybody think it will be crowded? I've been to Knott's many times on Halloween Night and it is always empty, except when it was on Friday or Saturday. But I've never been to Horror Nights on Halloween, so does anybody have a guess on the crowds?