TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What Powers Onboard Audio?

I'm sorry if this was covered elsewhere, but search provided nothing for me.

So I'm a student of electrical engineering, and a few days ago I was looking at some pics of X2. I realized that I'd never thought about how the onboard audio works. I know audio coasters have those big boxes, but where does the electricity come from? Are there batteries or capacitors in the box that get charged up in the station? Or is power somehow generated from the kinetic energy of the trains? Something completely different?

It's been bugging me for a few days now. If anyone knows, please enlighten me.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are there batteries or capacitors in the box that get charged up in the station?

Yes.

Some info:

http://www.showsys.us/projects/onboard.html

Powering this system on solid ground would be a challenge, but this one is mounted on a coaster and so survives on its own for the entire ride cycle without a hitch and recharges in less than 30 seconds once it reaches the station. Every ride and every sound system comes with its own set of challenges and on Bizarro SSI overcame this by building a system that produces world class audio every time.

SSI chosen as the Onboard Audio expert to design, fabricate and install the X2 Onboard Audio System. This ride showcases a true un-tethered Onboard Audio System; that means each vehicle is completely self sufficient for power, audio and control once it departs from the load station.

Once the train is back in the station it recharges in less than thirty seconds and is ready to go again. SSI installed the on board system on the brand new train at GCI’s shop in Pennsylvania so it arrived in Valencia, California as a complete coaster.

The electronics required for the system live together in an enclosure on the tenth row of the train, leaving the front and back of the train free to the guests. What makes this more than just an ordinary sound system is fact that it pumps over 1600 watts of sound at almost concert level volume for the entire ride without contact with the outside world. Once the train is back in the station it recharges in less than thirty seconds and is ready to go again.

The station has a moving platform to allow guests to get in and out of the train without ever stopping the action. This coaster literally never stops. This presented a unique challenge to SSI to charge a train that never stops, but with six chargers and a complex control system SSI stepped up to the challenge of powering these incredible systems.

--Robb

That's interesting, thanks Robb. To be honest, I'm surprised that they went with a charging system. 30 second charge sounds like capacitors to me, but I could be wrong. I wonder if someone could come up with a system that did take power from the kinetic energy, much like the alternator in a car. Of course, this is going to slow down the coaster somewhat, but I think it could be done for some coasters. Now I have to go do some calculations...

So I am assuming that this is the same concept on California Screamin' and Space Mountain? I have actually had the same thoughts about on-board audio.. although I never considered instant charging upon the train's return..

Gosh.. with the technology out there, they could eventually use solar, wireless electricity, etc.. I wonder though, how many re-charges can a setup like this handle? (batteries and/or capacitors?)

That's interesting, thanks Robb. To be honest, I'm surprised that they went with a charging system. 30 second charge sounds like capacitors to me, but I could be wrong. I wonder if someone could come up with a system that did take power from the kinetic energy, much like the alternator in a car. Of course, this is going to slow down the coaster somewhat, but I think it could be done for some coasters. Now I have to go do some calculations...
Actually using an Alternator on a Roller Coaster to power lighting has been done before. Fire Dragon at Lagoon, a Schwarzkopf Looping Coaster, has trains with headlights and back lights that are powered by an Alternator under the front of the train. The Alternator is wired to the Front Wheel Housing and Front Axel to charge it. The headlights turn on when the train is about half way down the First Drop and Shut Off once the train enters reduction. Jet Star 2 at Lagoon also uses a similar system for the Head Lights and Back Lights on each Car and Wicked has Red Lights on the Back of each Train, but I don't know how those are charged.

Kind of on the same topic, how many other coasters have on board safety systems that detect if a lap bar is lowered enough? Wicked has one and Lagoon installed one on Roller Coaster in 2008, which may be a first for a Wooden Coaster.

- Sid

P.S. Jordan (themeparkman25) I believe you saw all of this first hand at Lagoon.

^ that really depends on how new they are. Nighthawk has a similar system to what you are talking about, it has 3 sensors per seat and will not allow dispatch if any of them have a problem.

Many newer rides are starting to show up with them built in, I know that Goliath at SFOG has a system like what you described, As well as mystery mine at dollywood.

I can only speak for nighthawk but the train is only powered while its in the brakes and in the station, allowing it to check the sensors. While the train is on the track the power is off.

Kind of on the same topic, how many other coasters have on board safety systems that detect if a lap bar is lowered enough? Wicked has one and Lagoon installed one on Roller Coaster in 2008, which may be a first for a Wooden Coaster.

The woodies at Holiday World actually have a system built in. You can see the display on the control panel (specifically on Raven, since it's right next to the back row) show messages like "Lap bars not secured, car 4." This would also explain the metal contacts on the bottom of the car frame seen here: http://rcdb.com/3231.htm?p=15974. Also while I was waiting for Voyage one time, it would not let the operators dispatch because there was an issue with the sensor on one of the cars.

Thanks for the Info Coasterlvr_nc and Joey!

The woodies at Holiday World actually have a system built in. You can see the display on the control panel (specifically on Raven, since it's right next to the back row) show messages like "Lap bars not secured, car 4." This would also explain the metal contacts on the bottom of the car frame seen here: http://rcdb.com/3231.htm?p=15974. Also while I was waiting for Voyage one time, it would not let the operators dispatch because there was an issue with the sensor on one of the cars.

Those contacts are exactly the same as those on Roller Coaster at Lagoon. There are also contacts in the Track as well. I believe the system at Lagoon is more of a "lap bar position indicator" system with the lights on the back of each car because they often dispatch empty rows with lap bars up. Are there lights on the back of each Coaster Car at Holiday World or is it just on the PLC Display?

- Sid

All Intamin's have a system like that now.
-Joey referring to lap bar system

El Toro comes to mind for famously stapling it's larger riders in. Even the test seat has lights to show if you have pulled the lap bar down far enough. Considering all that ejector air I guess it's not a bad thing, but I've had two friends who aren't huge, who where unable to ride.

Interesting topic. I was aware that onboard audio used a charging system but I never gave it much thought. Does anyone have a photo of the actual charger at a station? I wonder if the charging is wireless induction or something along the lines of bumper cars where there is actual contact?

• 2 weeks later...