TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Speed: The Ride Launch Times

After a few times of visiting Sahara and taking a few spins on Speed - every time I go the interval between launches changes.

One time if was 15 minutes.

Another was 5.

And again within the same day 10 mins to 20 mins.

What have you heard? This seems ridiculous that a ride would stay down for 20 minute periods (especially on a busy day). What about other Premier launched rides? Italian Job is right after another, Flight of Fear was pretty quick, and so was Jokers Jinx.

Why would Speed be so different? I doubt the second launch would make to much of a difference.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the reason:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Seriously, when we were there they said "Due to safety and mechanical reasons we can only launch once every 20 minutes." Then why did they used to offer back to back launches? Why do they change that launch interval based on how many people are there? Why can every other Premier coaster on the planet do a better job?

They're just lying. They basically just try to run it as little as possible to save money. You have no idea how long the line is or how often they're launching it until you buy your tickets so they already have you suckered in!

It sounds like the all day pass is basically worthless then. I realize you can go back to the ride all day if the dispatches are slow but they also must realize with so many attractions, most people aren't going to stay around for hours for multiple rides and they can really take advantage of that.

Here's the reason:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

For $10 a ride you'd think they would be making more than enough! Especially for an all day $22 pass.

For a 0:45 second ride, that's .45c a second.

So if someone asked, for a back-to-back launch, its doubtful it would happen.

Wow 10 dollars a ride! One thing I don't understand about these pay per ride parks is how stupid most of them are when it comes to pricing.

In my opinion 10 bucks is way too high. If I was there, they might get one ride out of me to say I did it. I know I wouldn't pay again. But if it was 2 bucks, then I might ride 10 times if I like it and they make even more money off me.

So if someone asked, for a back-to-back launch, its doubtful it would happen.

What Elissa was saying was, they used to offer back-to-back launches. I believe it was also a promo for awhile, way back when (with a single ride ticket).

In Feb. 2001, for a $15 all day pass, we rode it something like 48 times. Often, 4 or 5 launches in a row, because only the two of us were riding.

Like Elissa said: it all boils down to $$$$$. It's pretty damn expensive to launch that many times a day.

Unfortunately, somebody in bookkeeping probably figured that out.

JJ

Wow 10 dollars a ride! One thing I don't understand about these pay per ride parks is how stupid most of them are when it comes to pricing.

In my opinion 10 bucks is way too high. If I was there, they might get one ride out of me to say I did it. I know I wouldn't pay again. But if it was 2 bucks, then I might ride 10 times if I like it and they make even more money off me.

Other than Knoebel's I don't think many pay per ride parks have full size coasters for $2 per ride. Even the junky coasters at Ocean City, NJ are $4 per ride and the coasters at Morey's are around $6 per ride. Thankfully the parks in Ocean City have pre-season sales to bring it down to $1.50 - $2.00 per ride and Morey's has a special on Tuesdays with a wristband for $19 so you aren't forced to pay those expensive single ride prices.

When I was in Las Vegas last July they told us they launched Speed once every ten minutes unless they had a full train. Since I only had about an hour period at the Sahara, this meant I could only ride twice with my all-day pass (was hoping for two or three times as many rides). I don't know if the ride ever gets too crowded because there were only about 12 people on the train (it holds 24) both times I rode (of course, it was on a Monday afternoon).

I'm guessing the reason for this operating policy is money. If you launch a train of 12 riders every ten minutes you make $720 minus the cost of six launches per hour. If you have a train go every four minutes (probably the minimum dispatch interval for that ride) with the same number of riders per hour you make $720 minus the cost of fifteen launches. Now, if your're sending full trains every four minutes, you'd make $3600 minus the cost of fifteen launches.

Speed is worth $10 if you have never been on it before. However, it is a bit high if you have the credit. The Roller Coaster at New York, New York is not worth $14, but if you are staying at the hotel or a neighboring hotel you can buy an all day pass for $25, which I found to be worth it (the ride isn't that bad if you're prepared for it, but five rides in one day = ).