TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark in the Dark Help - TR POSTED 11/1

So here's the deal, I'm going to HPITD this October and I have a few questions about it. I would prefer that those who answer have gone after they switched from pay-by-ride to charging an admission fee. Thanks ahead of time for your answers.

1. What are the crowds like? I know that the park only opens on weekends with a reduced admission fee, meaning more people.

2. How long are the lines? What do they range from? How long was the longest you've waited in?

3. What day should I go? My ultimate choice would be a Sunday, but I would like to hear what you request.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. I have gone on a saturday in 2007 and a sunday in 2008. The saturday trip was very crowded, while the sunday trip the crowds were light.

2. The 2007 visit Storm Runner and Great Bear were an hour, Comet had a 45 minute, and most other rides had about 20-30 minutes. This previous year the most I waited was 15 minutes for Storm Runner and Fahrenheit.

3. Go with the Sunday, that is what I am going to be doing again this year.

The one time that I went it was dead. That was I think 4 years ago, and I went on a Saturday from 4-9PM. However, I have heard many different accounts. Just from my experience:

1. Pretty dead. Not any build up in the bottleneck prone areas of the walkways.

2. The longest line I waited in was for Storm Runner, and it was about 20 minutes, which was a treat compared to the 2 hour long line I waited in just a month or so before. Most of the coasters were a 2-3 train wait. Many of the flat rides were a little longer because they were child and family friendly - 15 minutes each or so for most.

3. I'm going to guess Sunday? I'm not really sure. I have heard stories about the park being "busy" on just about all days including Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I think it is hit or miss sometimes. When I went it was a Saturday, and what I would consider a nice day (55 degrees and sunny) and the crowds weren't bad at all. I think you just have to get lucky.

I went on a Satirday in 2006, lines weren't too bad 15 - 20 minutes for Comet and Great Bear but I hear it has gotten a lot more crowded since then especially on Saturday's and with admission so cheap (compared to the summer).

I went in 2006 and then again in 2007. The first year, it was FREEZING, so it was completely dead Friday (I think there was only a 15 minute wait on Storm Runner), and Saturday was a bit busier but not crowded at ALL. The next year, it was still in the upper 60s, lower 70s when the park first opened, and while Friday was still completely dead, Saturday was PACKED. Oh my gosh, it seemed like a Saturday in July (I imagine, as I've never actually been there then). Great Bear, Storm Runner, I think even the Comet had about an hour wait.

All in all, I'd say Friday (and probably Sunday going by what others have said) would be your best bet. Saturday will be hit or miss depending on the weather (at least, that seems to be the different variable between my two Saturday trips).

We've gone 2 different years since it changed to POP. They were both the first Sunday of HPITD and we really didn't wait in much of a line for anything either time. The longest wait was probably 20 minutes for Lightning Racer because they were playing their game of running 1 train on each side with the 4 middle rows closed off.

That is the kind of stuff that I can't stand and makes me really question Hershey's operations (plus my own bad experiences with operations in 2007 and 2008). It's bad enough to only run 1 train on each side and on top of that to have rows closed off. But to have rows closed off with a 20 minute line is ridiculous.

We've gone 2 different years since it changed to POP. They were both the first Sunday of HPITD and we really didn't wait in much of a line for anything either time.

Awesome, Im definately going Sunday the 18th which is the first Sunday of the event. (I just found that out. I thought they started on the first weekend of the month) Thanks for the info!

• 1 month later...

Upon looking at the forecast, this sunday's high temp. In Hershey is 47F with a 40% chance of rain. Brrr. So I have another question. What are the temperature closures? Are there some rides that won't be open under certain circumstances. Hopefully, this may work to my advantage by scaring others away, but just to be sure, does anyone have any insight on ride closures?

Hersheypark has a weather monitoring station in park, thus the seemingly strick severe weather policy. With that said, the likelihood of a thunderstorm this October, well... lets just say snow seems to be more of a threat.

I have been to HPITD each season for the past five years. While Saturdays do tend to be a bit busier, its very unpredictable. Make sure to dress very warm as well, for we found that Storm Runner in the low 50's is bone chilling.

Same here. The forecast looks the same for tomorrow similar to how today was and Sunday appears to be no better - 70-some % chance of precip. I wouldn't put it past them to shut down again tomorrow or open with very limited ride capacity and no coasters open, same for Sunday.

I remember about Wildcat back in April. In fact both Ccron10 and I were in line (almost a walk-on) just about ready to get on it for our last ride of the night when they turned us away since it was getting a little nippy out. I do remember hearing from several people about Great Bear and I also do know that Storm Runner and Fahrenheit both shut down when there is any kind of precipitation (even drizzle to be exact).

Let's pray for nice weather on the 25th!

Another thing to remember is that in PA, Friday night is HS football night, so that tends to lessen crowds at other events. I don't know if they'd have any games scheduled at the stadium. That wouldn't affect the park, but would screw up parking, because the spaces closest to the stadium would be reserved for the event there. Parkgoers would have to park farther away.

This Friday looks rainy again, but things are supposed to clear up Saturday afternoon.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again to everyone for all the feedback, it was really helpful. Anyway, I thought I'd post a TR of my experience at Hersheypark in the Dark. While there were no haunted attractions, I thought they did a good job decorating the park. There were a few light displays, the rides were renamed all with new signs, and there were little details that were pretty neat, such as a witch crashed into a Skyway pole.

We got to the park a little before the 2:00 opening and went to Chocolate World. We waited about 5 minutes for the ride. The ride was decorated for fall and had haybails, cornstalks, pumpkins, and fall leaves scattered all around. Heading to the park gates, there were HUGE lines for security checks and tickets. We waited for about 15 minutes, and while in line, we caught that Storm Runner was on the 'Temporarily out of Service' board and came to realize that the ride was closed all day.

Upon entering the crowded park, we headed towards the way of Midway America, catching a 1 cycle wait on the "Raven Claw". What was pretty cool, was that when the ride swung up above the grassed section. there was a witch lying on the ground, looking like she had fallen out of the ride. Moving on we caught a 25 minute wait for FEARenheit. They were only running 2 trains and the third was nowhere in sight. Great ride as usual. Next, we walked to Mouse Stew (Wild Mouse) and caught a 10 minute wait. We crossed over to Scaredy (Wild) Cat and waited about 15 minutes for the second row. Being my first ride on the Wildcat, I actually thought it was pretty good, and much better than Thunderhead which I rode this past July. 7/10. Wicked (Lightning) Racer's line was to the entrance, so we skipped out 'till later.

From there we took a walk to Pioneer Frontier, my favorite section of the park, to catch a few more rides, the first one being Scare (Side) winder. 1 cycle wait for the second row. This ride is truely terrible. It really makes me sick, which no other ride makes me feel. Plus the headbanging which is even worse. I would see no problem in the park removing this ride. *Calm* Boo (Trail) Blazer was next. 2 train wait and I was able to see some of the theming on the train which looked really cool, although I didn't have a chance to ride. Next we went over to ride Bats in the Belfry (Kissing Tower) and get some fries (yum). Since we were pretty close to Great Scare (Bear) we took the 15 minute wait for the back seat which I actually enjoyed more than my summer ride in the middle. Reese's X-Scream Cup Challenge had a *heated* 5-10 minute wait all day, so we took 2 rides. We took another 25 minute wait for FEARenheit, a walk-on for Howler and a 1 cycle wait for Ghostly Galleon (Pirate).

Since we still didn't get a chance to pick up a ride on Wicked Racer, we walked to Midway to take another ride on Mouse Stew (10 minute wait) and to find that the line for WR was STILL in the same place. Since I didn't yet have my credit for Thunder Side, I braved the 25-30 minute line. The reason for the line was, of course, because they were only running 1 train on each side. (I prefer Lightning over Thunder) To finish off the night, we took a few rides in Comet Hollow. Our first 2 were on SooperBOOperlooper which were both walk-ons. I really liked this ride; the loop, hill, tunnel, and last helix was great. 2 rides on Comet (10 minute waits, 1 time in the front) finished off the night and gave me a new favorite woodie at Hersheypark.

I had a pretty good night and I hope I'm able to get back out next month for Christmas Candylane.