TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Las Vegas Trip

Flight Attendant

Here's the skinny...

I have not been in Las Vegas for over 25 years, and I am going to be there for the annual WEVA (Wedding/Event Videographer Association) convention from August 8th thru the 11th. From what everyone has told me, Vegas is not what it was 25+ years ago.

I know that there are a bunch of thrill rides out there. Can I get any opinions on what rides I should...and should not go on? I recall watching on of Robb's and Elissa's short video on the Manhatten Express. Did not seem like a lot of fun because of the roughness of the ride. Should I not go on it?

How about the coaster on top of the Stratosphere? is it just a lot of hype...or worth it?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Manhattan Express is rough, but very rideable! It is an interesting ride and should not be missed by a coaster enthusiast. That being said though it is a TOGO (try once get off).

If you have time, do all the coasters in Vegas (well at least the real ones, not the kiddies!)

Stratosphere - Need about 2 hours here to do everything (in case it's busy/or you want to reride)

Circus Circus Adventuredome - About 2 hours if you want to do everything, less if you only want to get the credits.

Speed - 15 minutes will get your 2+rides

Desperado and Stateline - With the time it takes to get there, and the time it takes for them to actually run the rides you're looking at a 4 hour roundtrip here. Unless they're actually busy and then it will take you less time since they won't be waiting 20min between dispatches!

Let me know if I can help with anything else. We'll be going with Derek for his first time ever to Vegas in November so we'll be doing the coaster tour as well!

Thanks Elissa! I'll do the TOGO as well.

I don't think that I will be able to go to stateline, as I am flying in and not getting a car rental. I've been told that I can get around using Las Vegas Monorail (hey...that's a ride isn't it?) to get anywhere I really need to go.

Since I'll be at the Las Vegas Hilton...I'll have to do the "Star Trek" experience!

Desperado at Buffalo Bill's is a good, long ride, but the last time I rode it (1999) it had gotten pretty rough. I don't know if they do rehabs on it, but everyone pretty much says it's still rough. My recommendation: Give it a try; you have to judge for yourself what's rough and what isn't.

X-Scream is that tilting thing on the tower. I rode it last summer---and I had the car all to myself. It's pretty creepy rolling down that little track to what appears to be a 1000 ft. drop. My recommendation: Go up there and ride it. And do the other rides up there, too, although if you skip the High Roller you haven't missed much.

Eric

Went on high roller last time I was in vegas (the ride op was spot on about the soon to be built X-Scream) and it has to be the wimpiest coaster in terms of what it does, but being 1000 ft I had a look on my face like that girl in Jurassic park with t-rex getting up close and personal.

The buffett at Bellagio is my favourite destination, do some carb loading before I get to Cedar Point the next morning.

I'm biased, of course, but I recommend visiting Reno over Vega$. It's got more non-gambling stuff to do, is right next to the world's most beautiful lake, and has awesome skiing.

Then again, though, Reno has exactly zero amusement parks, unless you count the podunk little water park out in Sparks.

Okay now,I have been to Vegas last year and I say hit Speed,the Adventuredome and Manhattan Express. Now I know people have said that Manhattan Express is like the most painful roller coaster in all Vegas. But I did NOT find it rough at all! I was in the very back and I had a great time on it!

Thanks! for the most part I will attempt to try out all of those atttractions when I can get away from the conference.....which will be towards the late afternoon/early evening.

Now for one last question before I leave in 2 days...

BUffets. I understand that not all are considered equal. Again, 25 years ago, Circus Circus was the only game in town that you could do on a budget.

Any changes?

The buffet at the bellagio was great. You'll also want to see the fountain show outside the bellagio (I thought it was really cool) I'd suggest seeing as many shows as possible. I saw Cirque de soliel at the bellagio and I was amazed. It was one of the best shows I've ever seen. I stayed at the monte carlo last time I went. It was very nice and had one of the only poker rooms lefty at the big hotels in vegas. So, If you like playing poker the monte carlo is the place to be. I also went to the mandalay bay and saw the shark reef they have. It was very cool... Oh, yeah, stay away from the tropicana, that place was a dive. :shock:

Oh, I almost forgot, they do have a couple of roller coasters.

Well I just got back...

Coaster count: (2) Did Manhatten Express at night, and yes... it was rough but I'm glad that I went on it. I also went on Speed...the Ride. That was a fun coaster, very quick and the first coaster that I've been on that goes completely vertical at the end.

I did go to the top of Stratosphere. However, I really thought that the High Roller looked to be very wimpy, and decided not to go on it. The other rides however looked to be way to insane for me to try (yes...wimped out) I really did not feel too crazy about hanging over the edge on either X Scream or Insanity.

Best attraction that I did however had to be Star Trek: The Experience. That was a ton of fun. Nice thing was that it is in The LV Hilton that I was staying at. One big complaint of the hotel... bad internet service. There was no WiFi anywhere in the resort, the connection line that my room HAD was all screwed up, and the ISP service in their business center would not hook up to my Mac. The staff there had no clue other than to say..."Yep, we can't seem to get anyone's Mac to work here..." Otherwise, the trip was pretty fun and I'm looking forward to bring my wife on a future trip (It's been 25 years for her as well!)