TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Closed on Sundays !!!!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The only blue law I've ever personally experienced was not being able to buy a beer when I went to Texas Stadium to watch a Cowboys game. I walked all over the stadium looking for a beer stand and couldn't find one, which puzzled me greatly. I then asked someone who worked there where I could buy a beer, to which he replied, in a very stereotypical Texas drawl, "Ya ain't from around here, are ya?" While not understanding what where I was from had to do with buying a beer, I played along anyway and confirmed that I was indeed, "not from around there". He proceeded to inform me that Irving Texas was a dry precinct and that no alcohol was sold there, at all.

To this day, it still strikes me as amazingly odd that a pro sports stadium wouldn't sell beer. It ended up working out ok though. The guys in the seats next next to me, some real colorful Cajuns that drove up from Louisiana to watch the game, had brought in their own cooler and were generous enough to share a couple beers with 'the guy from California that talked funny.' That's right, you could bring BYOB to the game, but you couldn't buy it there... Silly law, but the more I think about it, I wish I could bring my own beer to games closer to home, rather than paying the 8 or 10 bucks, (or whatever it was the last time I bought it), like I do at Raiders or A's games.

Blue laws aside, I've got to say that the people I met while on that trip to Dallas were some of the friendliest people I've come across, anywhere. I actually showed up to the game a couple hours early, since I didn't have a ticket and figured that, like anywhere else I've ever been to a game, I'd be able to buy one from a scalper. I allowed the extra time because I had no idea where the scalpers would "set up shop", so to speak, and I didn't want to miss out on getting a ticket.

After milling around for a while and not spotting anyone offering tickets, I asked a guy that was unloading pallets of concession stand supplies where I'd have my best chance of finding a scalper from whom I could buy a ticket. Like the guy inside the stadium that I'd ask about the beer later, this guy also gave me the, "Ya ain't from around here, are ya?" line. I explained that I was from California and I was just trying to find out where I could buy a ticket, and that knowing the game was sold out, I figured my only option would be a scalper. He came back with, "Ya came all the way from California and ya ain't even got a ticket?" Growing weary of trying to the find the answer to what seemed like a simple question that I'd asked, but not wanting to offend this guy so that I might be able to finally get that elusive answer, I said, "Yes, sir, that's exactly right and I was just hoping maybe you could steer me toward wherever I'd have the best chance of finding a ticket." He sized me up, giving me a long look from head to toe, surely noticing that I was wearing a Cowboys jacket and he says, "So let me get this straight... You're a Cowboys fan, from California, and ya came all this way and ya don't have a ticket." I replied, "Yes sir, I think you've got it. Could you please tell me where I might be able to buy a ticket?" He said, "Son, I tell you what, we don't get many Cowboy fans from California coming all that way without a ticket, so you just wait right here." Thinking maybe he was going to get security and have me hauled off the premises, or worse... I hesitantly asked where he was going and why he needed me to wait. He then broke out in a big smile and told me, "I'm gonna' GIVE you a ticket." I told him I'd be happy to pay for a ticket and that he really didn't need to go to any trouble, but he insisted he wouldn't take a dime and hurried off inside while I waited. He was only gone a few minutes before he came back and handed me a game ticket. I again offered to pay him for it, but he wouldn't have any more talk of paying for it. I thanked him as well as I know how to thank someone and waited for the game to start.

Southern hospitality at its finest.

I remember a few years ago when I was a kid. ok back in the 70's, my Grandmother had a fit when I would cut her lawn on Sunday. Most of the stores were also closed. That's why I wanted to cut it on Sunday!

The rides on the Ocean City, NJ Boardwalk were closed on Sundays until the early to mid 1980s. So were the arcades, miniature golf courses, and almost every store. Full-service sit down restaurants were open; some food stalls (pizza, ice cream, etc.) were open, but were limited as to what they could sell.

I remember in my late teens waiting for a few arcades to open at 12:01am Monday.

Until the city threatened to revoke their operating licenses, several Ocean City stores blatantly violated the blue laws; the profits they made were more than the fine.

I believe Bergen County in New Jersey still has Sunday Blue Laws. You might notice in the weekly ad circulars for Target and other national stores a statement such as "Paramus and Edgewater, NJ stores closed on Sunday."

Religion can't be the main reason in the Sunday discussion. Historically, Sunday has been the day to rest and not work. If you go to a large city on a Sunday, it feels like no one is there. Yes, the basis of being laid-back on Sunday comes from the Christian beliefs, but culture has changed so much. Less than 40% of people actually go to Church on Sundays now. In rural areas, many more go, but in urban areas, most people do not attend.

The question that needs to be asked is what do you really need on a daily basis? I see why fast food chains and grocery stores are open. I do not see the need for stores like office supply to be open. You've also got to remember that businesses save big money by closing on Sundays. A day less to pay people. I think some business would like to be open on Sunday, but it just won't happen for them. The profit margin is too low. An office supply store is likely to receive little business on a Sunday compared to a weekday.

I think most of us here are talking about (complaining) the fact that there are still places where there are LAWS prohibiting companies from being open or selling alcohol, etc. Those laws (which seem pretty unconstitutional) should not still be around... anywhere in this country.

I think most of us here are talking about (complaining) the fact that there are still places where there are LAWS prohibiting companies from being open or selling alcohol, etc. Those laws (which seem pretty unconstitutional) should not still be around... anywhere in this country.

Unconstitutional? And you have a degree in constitutional law right? Ever hear of community standards?

Government:

the political direction and control exercised over the actions of the members, citizens, or inhabitants of communities, societies, and states; direction of the affairs of a state, community, etc.;

The government exists on the township level...

Religion can't be the main reason in the Sunday discussion. Historically, Sunday has been the day to rest and not work. If you go to a large city on a Sunday, it feels like no one is there. Yes, the basis of being laid-back on Sunday comes from the Christian beliefs, but culture has changed so much. Less than 40% of people actually go to Church on Sundays now. In rural areas, many more go, but in urban areas, most people do not attend.

True its not always religion as to why some places are closed on Sundays or any other day of the week for that matter.

Take for example "The Great Hagerstown ( Maryland ) Fair. Back in the 60s and 70s, that fair was huge. I believe at the time that was fair was even bigger than the fair in next county that being the Great Frederick Fair. Even though the fair ran for two weeks, they were closed on Sunday but it wasn't due to religious/day of rest reasons but rather per-order of the city of Hagerstown since the fairgrounds were located next to several different neighborhoods and the people who live in those neighborhoods has requested that.

The Hagerstown Fair came to an end around 1982 but the "tradition" continues today with the Frederick Fair.

The state of Virginia has two newspapers who to this day refuse to publish on Sundays. The Harrisonburg Daily-News Record and The Winchester Star. For years the publisher claimed it was strictly an issue of money and not religion as to why no paper on Sundays. That and the "fact" they claim that no news happens in those two cities. Of course one can argue about that since both Harrisonbrug and Winchester are two of the fastest growing cities in the state and both cities have their own local TV stations which do air news on Sundays ( Winchester's is about to launch a 60 minute local Sunday TV newscast next month ) so the paper's "opinion" of "nothing happens around here"..well maybe it very well could be a religious reason as to why no Sunday paper from them but they don't want to admit to that. Just a guess.