TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: TPR Behemoth/East Coast Trip 2008

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^Thanks Neil! There are in fact, four coasters pictured there...

Exhausted from a wonderful day at Dorney Park, I hit the hay pretty quickly, sleeping better than I had before on the trip. So good in fact, it played against me. Needless to say, I slept in, ending up late by a few minutes (on the last day)... I definitely felt terrible about the situation, considering I'd never been late before, but everyone (after the embarrassment of my shirt being put on backwards in my rush to catch the bus) was forgiving, so I once again had something extra to be grateful for.

We started our morning with ERT on Twister, one of two of the park's wooden coasters. Still in shock from my earlier mishap, I wasn't really paying much attention to the ride, but the odd twist into the second lift woke me up quickly, catching me off guard without a doubt. After a few rides, I figured I'd had enough so I went with a couple of others to the campground's supply store for some candy (a Nerds Rope and some Reese's Pieces). Following my sugar binge, we were called over by Robb to participate in a filming session of Phoenix, the park's other wooden coaster.

Several friends had told me earlier about Phoenix, saying that it would shock and amaze me, liking making its way to the top of the charts for my list of wooden coasters. I was somewhat skeptical considering the coaster's age and what information I had already on it. I sat next to Jes during the filming session, loving every minute of the coaster from start to finish. The seat belt-less cars allowed for additional bursts of airtime with my body spending much of the circuits above the seat divider's top. Knowing we would have ERT on the Phoenix that night, I knew that our last night (and last ERT session) would be incredible.

After our ERT session we were given our ticket book to be used during our day. Knoebels was my first "ticket park" ever... Meaning that the park's rides required value tickets for each entry. Ticket values run from 5 cents to 2 dollars, allowing for a wide variety of entry fees to be paid per attraction. So on we went, hitting the park's many flat rides including the hamster wheels (which didn't flip for us), the bizarre Roll-O-Plane, the flyers and the typhoon. All of which were unique, fun and at times painful, but definitely worthwhile.

Besides Phoenix and Twister, Knoebels had one additional [working] credit for us to conquer--the High Speed Thrill Coaster. A kiddie coaster in nature, yet more intense than many other rides we had done during the trip. Again, the coaster had been critically hailed as an amazing experience, so we made sure to try it. Tipped off by Robb and Elissa, we were told that if we could get an all-adult train, the coaster could operate with a faster lift and circuit, making the ride even wilder. So, wait we did, allowing for an even more terrifying time on this wonderful contraption; again more than worth the wait.

As the afternoon rolled along, it was time for our Flying Turns tour. As most of you know, Flying Turns is the park's latest coaster project, reviving a concept that hasn't been used since the 1930's. Unlike steel bobsleds like Avalanche at Kings Dominion, Flying Turns is completely wooden in track build (some of the support structure uses steel). Though started in 2006, the difficult task of tweaking the ride's vehicles and their motions has taken much time to work on, causing the ride's opening to be delayed. The mention of such an issue may sound grim but GCI and Knoebels are working diligently to develop a ride based on what little information exists regarding the operation of the previous iterations of Flying Turns. We were assured that the coaster will see operation eventually and that patience and work will make it run properly in the end.

Following our tour, the group boarded the busses once more to head over to the GCI Factory Tour. A great experience that I can't elaborate on, but I can say that it was another highlight of the trip for me.

Back over to Knoebels we went, returning to the wonderful collection of flats and coasters. We spent our afternoon enjoying each others' company knowing that the following day we would all be heading in separate directions.

As night began to fall (and emotions began to rise) we moved towards the park's bumper cars. TPR made quite a commotion there, watching GCI Joe and others ram each other with the deadly vehicles causing sparks to fly and "wheelies" to be pulled. It was unlike anything I had experienced before, with our entire group causing [safe and fun] mass mayhem within the attraction.

Finally, the time came for our final ERT session on Phoenix. I spent much of my time riding in the backseat with Jes, in what was one of my favorite moments of the trip. I had worried that our final event would be far less upbeat and difficult, but it had in fact been one of the most memorable experiences of the trip. Our session ended after more than an hour of rides (some without stopping in the station) with more smiles and laughs than we had before on the trip.

Our bus ride back was filled with talk of the highlights of our trip and even more laughter. Leaving that night was definitely the saddest moment of the trip, but with all that we had experienced over the last 16 days, there was more to celebrate than to be sad about.

So after much anticipation and plenty of memorable moments, my first TPR trip came and went. New friendships were made; new favorites were found and new jokes were established. Every aspect of the trip was incredible and, as my new title shows, I'm more than ready for another TPR trip.

As I wrap this up, I would like to thank Robb and Elissa for an incredible trip. I would also like to give a shout out to all of the Behemoth/East Coast trip friends I made--you all were incredible!

So, enough talk--enjoy the photos! (There will be one more update following this one, but it is a surprise!)

IMGP0055.thumb.JPG.859cff96980632e12d7050fa04d67c1b.JPG

Sam is the lucky winner of the last trip photo of the report (minus the surprise photos to be posted soon)... Thanks for reading everyone!

IMGP0054.thumb.JPG.d66353c43d89e13128adbb9d4f142e58.JPG

One more for Jes and I.

IMGP0053.thumb.JPG.7e989ca210e54f5c4b3d01948fb274b6.JPG

Josh and I love leftover tickets!

IMGP0052.thumb.JPG.a4028650a67cb9f2f1ced4dacb9c03ed.JPG

One more shot of Brad and I.

IMGP0051.thumb.JPG.f62d9dde00ced2790848975504f13307.JPG

One of my final farewell photos while in line for the insane bumper cars.

IMGP0049.thumb.JPG.657623c6e72be911ad83e9450e399f5b.JPG

More curvy goodness...

IMGP0048.thumb.JPG.456c1584f377cda3ad33106e968ca84b.JPG

Another shot of the tight helix.

IMGP0046.thumb.JPG.d61ca39a596238c180022ff235a27e68.JPG

Beautiful.

IMGP0045.thumb.JPG.58c21028caf56bdab4b31fb938584571.JPG

The ride's brake run.

IMGP0043.thumb.JPG.33a44ded165a3af0f05f84ba621a9e70.JPG

So much to see!

IMGP0042.thumb.JPG.4f5f8d4b2fa5a70b3952269da0bd8c89.JPG

"Where'd everybody go?"

IMGP0035.thumb.JPG.9a871e0e24e82631bab585758994215c.JPG

Luko looks excited to be here!

IMGP0033.thumb.JPG.e6e8749a7ada67ca703bfca61de1c74a.JPG

And that other guy who I beat majorly when competing on Sally dark rides...

IMGP0032.thumb.JPG.3227a66eaec5753c5db513a6163124f8.JPG

Matt and I just relaxing in the trough.

IMGP0030.thumb.JPG.536192af7563c01cd582958f8fe2c220.JPG

I'm not sure what's got Sam so twisted in this photo...

But here are Alan, Matt and I laying in the trough.

IMGP0025.thumb.JPG.4f66efb1f8380c88320cd50d05beabfc.JPG

Now we are technically riding in reverse.

IMGP0024.thumb.JPG.7e9c216315c8d0cd78355fa1cace596f.JPG

For you support fanatics out there, here is a shot of the inner structure supporting one of the ride's helixes.

IMGP0022.thumb.JPG.802c92ada595aa0f1802611b4ca4cac0.JPG

Interesting!

IMGP0018.thumb.JPG.b83b4c40966334b44fff72269dd6cc83.JPG

"Maybe if I hide in the helix, he won't find me..."

IMGP0016.thumb.JPG.b46525e62502403fdd17bad96cd1c229.JPG

Jes is being eaten by a hairy ghost...

IMGP0014.thumb.JPG.03cd27319260632ef0c7ba3897e533d6.JPG

"Smooth as a baby's bottom!"

IMGP0013.thumb.JPG.4cd0b05576ecd90c54a15b5daf66141c.JPG

The TPR train creeps along the trough of Flying Turns.

IMGP0012.thumb.JPG.4b70dfccd09014a619e9b0c2d38c3142.JPG

One of many lift hill shots...

IMGP0011.thumb.JPG.151208986820b03efbfab59b550043ac.JPG

Time for our tour of Flying Turns!

IMGP0010.thumb.JPG.a29b66c2bf6c8a184a41a72c4f07689e.JPG

Quite a large coaster...

IMGP0009.thumb.JPG.c23900e335eb36c939f02d909495feb8.JPG

Its definitely a "twisted" ride.

IMGP0008.thumb.JPG.16fba8ba4354190f5473d1f59bd73344.JPG

Twister greets us this final morning...

Ugh..and to think I was less than 2 hours away from you guys where at Knoebels, but had to work...

Dam people and their Whoppers...

Great pictures and report, Adam!

Its great to relive the moments I was there for, and see what happened when I was gone!

Thanks!

Not enough pictures of me... FAIL!

Seriously, your pictures are great. Knoebels was one of my favorite parks of the trip. That whole day was amazing. Just to prove your theory about how awesome Phoenix is - it's better than El Toro! Not sure what I was up to in that first picture of me, but you must have caught me at a weird angle while I was reviewing my pictures on my camera.

On a side note - I can no longer enjoy Twister II at my home park of Elitch's because Knoebels' Twister is just so much better. It spoiled it for me, not that it's a bad thing.

^^^ Glad you've enjoyed them!

^^Sorry to hear that you couldn't join us Matt, but it was fun having you with us for the Behemoth part of the trip.

^Josh took that photo of us in the trough while you seemed to be taking a photo of yourself. I just had to post it...

Well, now that I have finished up the trip report, I have one last update to add: my trip roundup and recap as well as my on ride photos.

Inspired by Brent, I have both the Behemoth trip and East Coast trip in review...

Behemoth:

Best Steel: Behemoth

Best Wood: Leap the Dips for a historical credit that ended up being one of my favorite rides of the trip (and my 100th credit). Ravine Flyer II for the overall best wooden coaster of the Behemoth trip, mainly because of the ERT session. Silver Comet is also up there.

Memorable Experience(s): Seabreeze (day 1), ERT on Whirlwind, Darien Lake's Mind Eraser (my first SLC), Matt Damon, Behemoth, Time Warp (surprisingly fun), Dragon Mountain film session, Wacky Shack, Pirate's Cove (Waldameer Park), Rollo Coaster Fan Boys, Mr. Roger's Trolley, Leap the Dips, Toboggan, the Sauce.

Most Painful Experience: Predator. Took my spine, smashed it, tasered it and ate the ashen remains.

Friendliest Ride Op: Silver Comet's ride op. Specifically worked that day just to op for us.

Nastiest Ride Op: Little Leaper's Nazi op. Enough said.

Funniest Line(s): "Its all about the Sauce!" -Brent, "Why So Serious?" -Tyler, "This mouse is CRAZY!" -Matt T.

Scariest Line(s): "I've noticed you're not wearing your underwear on the outside of your pants..." -Tony "So, do these wheels make you excited Adam?" -Tony

Funniest Person: Tie between James, Jes, Dave Fudge, Dave Wilson and Brent. Well... There's always Robb too.

Most Amazing Revelation: There is such thing as a Sauce Park.

Worst Thing: Losing some of our Behemoth/Ravine Flyer II tour buddies at the start of the East Coast trip.

Most Impressive: Robb, Elissa and the TPR crew. They do so much for such a large group--I couldn't help but be impressed.

Best ERT: Behemoth night time ERT. Getting to backseat coaster monger with Larry and such was fun too.

Worst ERT: Everything was fantastic--nothing to complain about.

Most Consistent: Tony. I could say so much more, but I'll leave it here.

Biggest Credit Whores: Matt T. and Brent

Best Sport: Jahan--he gets more jokes than I did, so I feel he deserves this award.

Most Bizarre Sight: Toboggan and Marineland's random bears

Biggest Surprise: Leap the Dips

Biggest Regret: Bringing my video camera along for the trip without ever bothering to use it.

Google Earth Award: Jes and Brent (they work together anyways)

East Coast:

Best Steel: Great Bear followed by Kingda Ka

Best Wood: Boulder Dash, then El Toro followed closely by Phoenix and Lightning Racer's Lightning

Memorable Experience(s): Sesame Place, Coney Island, Houdini, Quassy's Mad Mouse, Fried Dough, Fried Oreos, Fried Waffles, Fried anything, Lake Compounce Flyers, beating Alan at Ghostblasters, Stacker, Deal or No Deal, the Prize Gang, Busch Gardens Europe, Grizzly, Shockwave, Great Nor'Easter, Morey's Piers, Great Bear, Rollersoaker, Canyon River Rapids, Chocolate World, Dorney Park, Dorney Backstage Tour, Steel Force, Talon, Thunderhawk, Knoebels, Flying Turns, High Speed Thrill Coaster, Phoenix, GCI Factory Tour, Knoebels bumper boats, Knoebels bumper cars and the last farewell.

Most Painful Experience: Six Flag's America's Mind Eraser (the second worst SLC of the trip).

Friendliest Ride Op: Boulder Dash ERT op.

Nastiest Ride Op: No bad ops on this trip.

Funniest Line(s): "Its all about the Sauce!" -Brent, "Why So Serious?" -Tyler, "Do you have white beer?" -Axel, "I have a krestion!" -Axel, "Speak up!" -Axel, "This is rubbish!" -Wank, "Meh. It exists..." -Dave Wilson, "That's look number 6 he's giving me now!" -Robb, "I know he is giving me look number 6 and I don't even have to see his face..." -Robb

Scariest Line(s): "I woke up to a flooded bathroom this morning..." -Phil, "Its all for the doco..." -Tony

Funniest Person: Tie between James, Jes, Dave Fudge, Dave Wilson and Brent. Well... There's always Robb too.

Most Amazing Revelation: I love traditional parks.

Worst Thing: The end of the trip.

Most Impressive: Robb, Elissa and the TPR crew. They do so much for such a large group--I couldn't help but be impressed.

Best ERT: Boulder Dash ERT--best moment ever!

Worst ERT: Everything was fantastic--nothing to complain about.

Most Consistent: Tony. I could say so much more, but I'll leave it here.

Biggest Credit Whores: Matt T. and Brent

Best Sport: Jahan--he gets more jokes than I did, so I feel he deserves this award.

Most Bizarre Sight: Winnie the Crap's resurrection.

Biggest Surprise: Boulder Dash

Biggest Regret: Bringing my video camera along for the trip without ever bothering to use it.

Google Earth Award: Jes and Brent (they work together anyways)

Now onto some on-ride photos!

Hydra.jpg.2ec9fa4afff30bc88ac707b0db85acd5.jpg

One of the coolest ride photo systems ever (1 upside down and 1 right-side up)...

Cyclone.thumb.jpg.a9dd7483f306f08b6e75edb524f47997.jpg

I just noticed that Nathan's head is cut off by the ride's front overlay in this photo.

2101375570_BoulderDash.thumb.jpg.4c2ebf48df6226cb194f00fe31e6995a.jpg

My first ride on my #1 wooden coaster!

878212848_ApollosChariot--Tony.jpg.dd23c41f68725532ad27349a00014e00.jpg

Hey Tony!

1943245662_ApollosChariot--Fabio.jpg.9a1522299e6c06c787cc4ada06817170.jpg

Recreating a famous moment in history.

2074164597_ApollosChariot.jpg.69975225fd6e6fbb396ab00b4c8e9472.jpg

Just a regular "good time" photo from Apollo's Chariot...

I liked the Jo-jo roll even though it fleeced me plenty of change, I really enjoyed Hydra it was one of the surprise packets for me.

I'm going to get my butt into gear and do more trip reporting this weekend including Whacky Shack & Pirate's Cove POV's. I wanted to dub the talking bits and have newly gay Adam professing his love for all things male but I thought I'd him a break.

I liked the Jo-jo roll even though it fleeced me plenty of change

That's the beautiful part of it, it dumps out all the loose stuff from the train before it gets up to speed!

I wish Stormrunner could do that before the launch...

• 1 month later...

WOW... very nice - and thorough TR! Thank you for taking out the time to write it and post all of those pics! You made my mouth water! I live on the east coast, so all these parks are well within driving distance for me! I shall definitely be making plans for some of them soon!

• 2 weeks later...