TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

I've had No Limits Coaster for about half a month. For the first week, I was making a coaster a day. Of course, in order to crank that much out, not much redesign and support work (if any) has gone into the coasters. On here, I've only posted my first coaster and when I posted it, I had already created about 5 coasters. Well, now I'm working on two of them now. One is an Intamin Accelerator coaster that is 479 feet tall. The support work for that one will take much longer than the one I'm talking about now, which is Jolt. It is an X-Car coaster with two inversions, an over-banked turn (almost a Stengel Dive, but not quite), and plenty of airtime hills. Although it has some intense g's, none that I've seen are beyond green. However, I have not gone through every seat in every train at every speed.

This project will be my first one to feature roughly 99% custom supports and my first vertical chain lift. As for right now, the coaster has no supports, but track work is 99% complete (with perhaps a change near the end). I should mention that I've never been on an X-car coaster, so don't expect it to be like the real ones. Hope you enjoy!

By the way, I will post a youtube video of this ride once I am complete, so if you don't have No Limits, you'll still be able to see the ride.

Jolt.nltrack

Jolt (Incomplete)

1426803304_JoltOverviewPreview.png.4a1b2380245fdb98d5ad4f4341091f2f.png

Jolt as of right now.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got some bad news. The above mentioned change had to be removed. In the very last row of the very last car, the lateral g's shot into the yellow range, nearly hitting the red range. It has been removed and replaced with a bunny hop.

UPDATE: The supports for the lift tower are done! Now, if it looks over-supported, it is. I was looking at pictures of X-Car Coaster vertical lift towers and believe I got the support structure to look close to the real thing. Any comments on what I could change would be appreciated! Also, this is not the final paint scheme.

1593180662_JoltTower.png.ed37395433a3223d64e6b65bd48a5d24.png

Vertical Lift Tower

It looks pretty cool, but maybe you should try using a different support style for the lift, maybe something like you'd see on Fahrenheit. The current ones look unappealing (IMO, anyway) and overdone.

Edit: also, you could probably extend the vertical section of the drop, you have a rather large pull out of the drop, and you can make the drop more thrilling by adding more vertical-ness, which would in turn add a few Gs on the pullout. (also making the drop more fun)

Thanks for the advice! As for the tunnel, I was experimenting with how it would look with the tunnel, so I'll just get rid of it. As for the supports, I was trying to replicate the Maurer Sohne's vertical lift supports, which look very over-supported in all the pictures I saw. However, I will make a copy file and make Intamin style supports to see which looks better. As for making a longer vertical drop section, I'll have to play around with it. As it stands now, it pulls a max of about 4.2 g's at the bottom of the hill. I tried making it longer, but the g's jumped into the yellow and I wanted an all green coaster. However, I'll still play with the drop height. I'm in the middle of the school week, so I won't be able to work on this as much until the weekend. Until them, keep the suggestions coming!

^Bear in mind though, those are using a thinner superstructure, so those need that amount of beams. (Take a look here: http://www.rcdb.com/ig2773.htm?picture=30 also notice that you are still using more cross members than them) Also, another thing to realize is that the forces exerted on your lift tower and on the lift tower of a Sky Coaster are much different, so the support structures will most likely have to be different also. Keep up the good work though!

Ah, that's a better picture than I was using. I stand corrected. I'll remove some of the supports on the tower. I removed the tunnel on the tower already. I also discover that as the coaster stands right now, at 25% speed there is actually a split second of yellow g's (couldn't see how bad) as the car hit the bottom of the first hill so changing the pullout is out of the question for now. Right now, I'll focus on changing the supports.

EDIT: Now that I look at it, it looks like the problem is not the pullout of the first drop, but the beginning of the second hill. I'll try to fix that first and see what happens.

Thanks, if I run into serious trouble I'll consider it. Well, my first reaction to the high g's was correct: after a slight adjustment, the g's went from around 4.5 to 3.5, so I'll work on changing the drop later. Now, on to the supports. I've created a modified version of the original tower idea with a few less supports. I also tried to create the best recreation of Fahrenheit's lift as I could with the best picture Google would give me. I'm torn between the two, so I'll ask which you find better. Now, on to the show!

1830462930_JoltLift1.png.ba67ae4a316f2dec6bfb2bbda7958e72.png

Intamin Style (I think it makes it look taller!)

170886827_JoltLift2.png.4f4003e86413472f9d7d50dc8d6c8897.png

Modified Tower Supports

Yeah, I might play with the support size a little bit because right now, I think it looks like it is held up by toothpicks. It's hard to explain, I just don't think it looks real. Otherwise, I'm going with the Intamin supports. Plus, it was in that file only that I fixed the bottom of the hill. Now I'll get to work fixing the first drop.

My suggestion is that you add a support to the middle. As you said, it looks like it is a bit of a brittle support structure on the lift. Just add a beam that supports the center of the top, you know, where it begins to slope downwards. That'll make it look a bit stronger.

But yeah, nice job! I really like the look of it so far.

Liking the coaster but loose the lift stairs. The coaster lift structure is kinda under supported. It works on intamin coasters since they have the track structure supporting it but with the x car design you should have a support like every 6-8 cross segment of track.

Okay, I'll add a few more connections between the track and the supports and loose the stairs. As for the supports looking undersupported, I thought so as well, so I made the supports wider and it looks better. I don't have a picture to post, however.

OK, I've added a few more supports to the main tower, removed the stairs, and added a few to the second drop. The coaster was also painted because I was sick of looking at all that white. This doesn't mean this is the final paint scheme or the final supports. It is just an update.

397027332_JoltSupports3.png.bf2f5e78acb3a22e5800180ee7f8e291.png

Camel Back!

314851455_JoltSupports2.png.ca8392f0eaddd3e4cf37d2d61052b0ae.png

New lift tower from a different angle.

464337762_JoltSupports1.png.c5d627e4c907ad583a579e91a6b83cd2.png

New lift tower!

Hmmmmm...........

Interesting. I like the paint scheme. Perfect fix for the tower; it looks much better! The camelback might be better with more concrete stands, since most of the beams flow straight to one or the other that you put there. But good job still! Maybe keep the paint and add some concrete pylons to the camelback and just continue on from there.

Hmmmmm...........

Interesting. I like the paint scheme. Perfect fix for the tower; it looks much better! The camelback might be better with more concrete stands, since most of the beams flow straight to one or the other that you put there. But good job still! Maybe keep the paint and add some concrete pylons to the camelback and just continue on from there.

Yeah, I thought 4 beams into one footer was over-doing it a little. I fixed that and started working on the first inversion. The inversion is really challenging because Maurer Sohne's supports for their coasters are different from ride to ride, so I essentially used a combination of a few rides. Tell me how you like them.

637046680_JoltSupportUpdate3.jpg.9996344d045be79cdb200aaaf251e031.jpg

Looking into the inversion.

975197527_JoltSupportUpdate2.jpg.9ef7313eec83fc98cf84cb68f2d1a87b.jpg

The first inversion. I don't know what it would be called. I don't think it is a dive loop/immelman.

2087218791_JoltSupportUpdate1.jpg.285a75a7c00075ba741ff9ea54d7287b.jpg

A little more realistic.

Nice fix. Much better! Let's see...........

Oh, yeah, a dive loop is basically an element where you start by going up at a steep angle, twist it into an inversion and make it dive; an Immelmann is the exact opposite. But yours doesn't begin with a steep climb or vice/versa. This one's tough...........

Hey! Maybe you can call it a Flashback. Remember Flashback @ SFMM? Who doesn't? That thing has a similar element, starting out at a flat angle (although it was diagonal), then doing a straight twist with a dive. Yours does the same thing, only on a MUCH larger scale. Maybe it could be just a dive? Whatever........

Interesting stance at the bottom of the dive. I think the pic would've been cooler with the train closer, because I'm one of those tech geeks that would love to sit in front of the computer all day staring at a pic of Goliath's braking system. But nice job so far! No complaints this time!

Good point, but why on God's Earth would I want my coaster associated with Flashback? Yeah, that's what I was talking about. The only other coaster I can think of with this kind of element (except starting at the top) is...MANHATTAN EXPRESS/ROLLER COASTER! AHHHH!