TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Ollie Johnson, Disney Animator passed away today

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From CNN:

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Walt Disney Studios says legendary animator Ollie Johnston has died at age 95.

Studio Vice President Howard Green says Johnston died of natural causes on Monday at a long-term care facility in Sequim, Washington.

Johnston was the last of Walt Disney's so-called Nine Old Men.

He contributed animation and direction to classics such as "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs," "Pinocchio," "Fantasia," "Song of the South," "Cinderella," and "Alice in Wonderland."

This honestly creeps me out a bit.

I hate the little signs that tell that remind me of getting older and how mortal you are when I think I've watched at least 6 or 7 of the 9 pass away in my lifetime.

I had the pleasure of meeting Frank and Ollie when I was working on The Jungle Book game in 1994. They were great people with more passion for Disney and animation than I'm sure is left at the studio today.

*sigh*

--Robb

^I posted this in the Random board eariler under "Last of the Nine Old Men." You can delete that thread if you like.

It's interesting how Disney has gone full circle in Ollie Johnston's lifetime--from hand-drawn, "traditional" animation, to full computer animation, and back to hand-drawn, again. He was one of the masters of the art, yet he also made "cameos" in Pixar movies (along with the late Frank Thomas).

Pinocchio, Fantasia, The Jungle Book, and a lot more--he left quite a legacy.

As someone who taught herself to draw from these Disney Classics, I'm not ashamed to admit that I cried a little when I heard the news. (I get way too emotionally invested in Disney)

Ollie and the rest of the Nine Old Men did so much for animation and art; I wish the studio of today could recapture their magic again.

As a kid, I wanted nothing more than to be a Disney animator. I took classes at Disney, bought books, studied the history of the animators. These guys were some of my childhood idols.

As with Robb, it makes me feel old.

Sorry Chuck, I didn't see your thread!

Mortality is a scary thing. However, Robb, as you and mcjaco have both proven, you just live and have fun to the fullest. You two, and many others on this board, have had more fun and adventures in a just a few short years, than most people have they're whole lives. And you all still have many years ahead for even more!

Hope that helps a bit.

Wow. This is really a bummer. I have always wanted to meet one of the 9 old men. . . It's hard seeing guys like them pass because they have brought so much to Disney with the movies and then helping Walt with Disneyland. . . I hope they have a dedication to these guys somewhere in Disneyland as a whole, not just a window on Main Street, but a plaque or something.

I had the pleasure of meeting Frank and Ollie when I was working on The Jungle Book game in 1994. They were great people with more passion for Disney and animation than I'm sure is left at the studio today.

*sigh*

--Robb

This was an excellent quote. Indeed, collectively, their contributions to the company were immeasurable. Definitely a sad day.