TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Construction in Wilderness Pass (2009?)

I don't know if anyone has been to Dollywood so far this season but when I went I noticed a gated off area going towards the Upper Train Loop (train was closed) and alnost symetrical holes across the side of the hill. Does anyone have any idea what could be going on in the Upper Loop and along Wilderness Pass? A new ride and if so any ideas?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally think that Dollywood will be adding something new every year for the next decade, at least.

If you just take a ride on the train, you can see construction zones and unearthing going as far back as an entire size of the existing park.

I think that Dollywood's been growing exceptionally within the last 5 years. They're ahead of most theme parks, besides big name resorts (e.g. Disney, US) and I think they'll continue to offer state-of-the-art attractions for years to come, every year.

That's just what I've noticed.

^No, they are on the side of a steep hill. They aren't THAT big, but very noticeable!

I wish I had taken a picture...

But wasn't it rumored that Dollywood was going to remove Rockin' Roadway/Raceway to make room for a B&M coaster?

But wasn't it rumored that Dollywood was going to remove Rockin' Roadway/Raceway to make room for a B&M coaster?

The park supposedly looked at buying Zippin' Pippin from Libertyland and putting it where Rockin' Roadway is. I don't know if there was any truth to that or not.

As far as I know the B&M rumors have always been just BS. That stuff has been on Screamscape since pre-Thunderhead.

man how much more can that little park pull the expansions out on?

it seems like every year they got some sizable construction add on to the park.

I mean how much space does that park have? plus they got all those steep hills all around the park.

i loved visiting the park, i was only there the year Thunderhead opened up. construction was being worked on their tilt tower ride.

anyways i'm just saying its a bit much and can the park justify such a fast construction?

Hopefully, if my Marching Band competition goes through on Columbus Day Weekend, I will be able to see what is going on. (We will be going to Dollywood, as well.) It might not happen for pricing reasons, mainly if the gas prices go up too high. Otherwise, Tennessee is a go go!

man how much more can that little park pull the expansions out on?

it seems like every year they got some sizable construction add on to the park.

That "little park" pulls in 2 million guests per year, more than parks like Carowinds and Six Flags over Georgia

Maybe he was confused and thought Dollywood was Ghost Town in the Sky? It is definitely not a "little park".

I am not sure what the holes are without seeing a picture. My first guess was that they could be soil nails used for slope stabilization. I would bet that they concentrate all of the upcoming new rides along Wilderness Pass or back towards the train loop. I am looking forward to see what the next ride will be.

^ Yea I definitely wouldn't call it little. lol Has anyone seen how much land this place has?! It's huge! The train goes pretty far away from the park so you could only imagine what else can go in that park.

It would be nice to see some more nature type things back there in the Wilderness area.... since it's named "Wilderness" lol. I don't think there'll be a roller coaster comin though. For some reason, I don't think they should take that car ride attraction out of the front of the park. It looks nice and it matches with that part of the the park. It's nice and peaceful over there and I just don't see anything like a B&M going over there in the front of the park.

Actually, I just read on Screamscape that Dolly is wanting to build an on-site resort and it's being planned right now. They're not ready to announce it yet but she wants it open within the next 2 or 3 years. She also in the future wants to broadcast a childrens show from the park too.

If that happens I will DEFINITELY be in attendance at the resort!!!! lol That might be the next big news from D-Wood!

Actually, I just read on Screamscape that Dolly is wanting to build an on-site resort and it's being planned right now. They're not ready to announce it yet but she wants it open within the next 2 or 3 years. She also in the future wants to broadcast a childrens show from the park too.

This actually seems like a very logical move. Aside from that, when it is time to think coaster again, I'd really like to see some of that wooded land put to use in the form of one of those "mini" Intamin hypers...like the one somewhere in Asia (I think) that's similiar to Maverick without the launches. Yeah, that one. An airtime machine using the terrain. Now that would be nice.

^That is what I had in mind. A roller coaster that uses the terrain and the woods would be perfect for the back of the park. Dollywood always does a good job coming up with a unique attraction, so there is a lot of potential for the next coaster.

^ lol yea I don't think so either.

Since it does sound like the Dollywood Resort will happen soon, I would say that new resort in Sevierville, Wilderness in the Smokies, isn't going to do as well as planned. Dollywoods Resort would pull in waaaaay more than Wilderness in the Smokies. I think the only big thing Wilderness in the Smokies has to offer is an indoor waterpark, which isn't a bad one, and golf course. While on the other hand, Dollywoods Resort will have a theme park and waterpark, which is excellent! lol.

Where would yall picture this Intamin terrain type coaster at? In the Wilderness Pass? It sounds like a good idea!

^IIRC, then yes. But they aren't very deep...

I don't really see Dollywood working around trees to put in a coaster. I mean, they COMPLETELY wiped out all the trees in Timber Canyon for the two coasters there, and the County Fair section lost all of them when it was redone. In fact, besides Mountain Slidewinder, has Dollywood really made any attempt to save trees when it comes to adding new attractions?

Hmm...

I definatly agree that a resort is a great move for DW. I was kind of surprised they hadn't done it already, especially as popular as the place has become.

As far as the terrain goes, it hasn't stopped them yet, just look at Tennessee Tornado, it fits the terrain pretty well if you ask me. I would love to see an mini-hyper like the one in Japan, One that follows the terrain with a lot of butt-happy ejector airtime would be a blast!

I'd rather Dollywood stick to highly themed rides & attractions rather than just throwing up a bunch of coasters. I don't want to see steel supports sticking up all over the mountains.

If they do add another coaster sometime soon I think something like the "Ice House" ride from the surveys a few years ago would be more appropriate than a hyper coaster.

^ Well there is a screamin swing on the Pigeon Forge strip not too far from Dollywood Lane. It's at a place called Smokey Mountain Speed Park and they also have a Skyscraper and their operators are excellent! lol I ride it everytime I go to Pigeon Forge. They have a new Sling Shot this year too, but it's not that tall.

I new major show would be good too. Having it open when the resort opens would be good too.

^Yes, I've ridden the Screamin' Swing there. But its very small, and holds only 4 people at a time. The experience is completely different from The Giant Swing at SDC (which is why I think the SS is a possibility...) or Skyhawk at CP.

IMO...

Well when I was there last month those where not there. Ill be heading up there in the next few weeks and ill look into it.

Are they bigger that a footer would be?

When I went a few weeks ago, I saw some of the work going on back there, and honestly I thought it almost looked like holes for blasting out the side of the mountain more than anything