TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Didn't know u could only have one profile. So the other one got banned..... Skyflyer is fun. U meet alot of people and u get to ride for free and sometimes we get alot of free time lol

Didn't know that either about having more than one account. That's good, about Skyflyer, I've been thinking about a different ride to go to next season if I do go back to work at Great America. About having free time, that's good, so it's not as 'fast paced' as most of the rides are, such as Firefall, not that it's a bad thing, it just can be hectic at times though.

^ went to the park as a guest today and it was short lines for most but we skipped survivor cuz it was more then 30 minutes

True, I forgot about Survivor, it does have a longer line at times and on another note, after having having been spit on by another guest when I came on my day off last season (it hit me and at least 3 others I was with due to the spinning of the ride and I had security called to deal with it) I haven't been on it since.

^ Ya I just got it from their Facebook. I hope its good, I never did watch Fangs last year so it must have not been to good if it lasted one season.

About Fangs last season, I did see it last season when the park had Haunt Preview Nights for the associates, thinking back to what it was about (besides vampires...) they sang various songs and did dancing mostly. I wish I could be more descriptive than that, but it was quite a while back now since I had seen that show.

Im thinking about applying next year as a ride op for a summer job. Will they let you chose which ride you would like to work at? This next question is for anyone that lives in San Jose, Does the Light Rail take you you right to the park or do you have to transfer on a bus after?

Im thinking about applying next year as a ride op for a summer job. Will they let you chose which ride you would like to work at? This next question is for anyone that lives in San Jose, Does the Light Rail take you you right to the park or do you have to transfer on a bus after?

As was said by CGA_88, you can ask to be put at a certain ride. However, it depends on openings at each of the rides and amount of positions each ride has. Last season when I applied (at the second job fair in May) not all the rides had openings and when I asked what rides did, there was only a few-Firefall, Kidzville, I think Planet Snoopy, and a few others, I opted for Firefall the 2010 season and in turn when I came back this season, went back to Firefall. I'm sure if you go to the first job fair in January, they will have openings at mostly all the rides, I just made the choice to return to Firefall for ease of being certified for the positions at it.

Once on the light rail, it'll take you directly to the park and the light rail station is right in front of the park on Tasman, near the intersection that exits out of Great America (across from the convention center) There is the pedestrian trail that runs next to the park, that leads to Agnew Road and to the back employee parking lot.

Edited by jab88

As was said by CGA_88, you can ask to be put at a certain ride. However, it depends on openings at each of the rides and amount of positions each ride has. Last season when I applied (at the second job fair in May) not all the rides had openings and when I asked what rides did, there was only a few-Firefall, Kidzville, I think Planet Snoopy, and a few others, I opted for Firefall the 2010 season and in turn when I came back this season, went back to Firefall. I'm sure if you go to the first job fair in January, they will have openings at mostly all the rides, I just made the choice to return to Firefall for ease of being certified for the positions at it.

Once on the light rail, it'll take you directly to the park and the light rail station is right in front of the park on Tasman, near the intersection that exits out of Great America (across from the convention center) There is the pedestrian trail that runs next to the park, that leads to Agnew Road and to the back employee parking lot.

Thanks for the info! I was planning on going to the earliest job fair to try and get which ride I would like. Thanks for clearing up the light rail for me also. I was trying to look at the map on the VTA website and seemed sort of confusing.

Thanks for the info! I was planning on going to the earliest job fair to try and get which ride I would like. Thanks for clearing up the light rail for me also. I was trying to look at the map on the VTA website and seemed sort of confusing.

Your Welcome! Yeah, the earlier the better with the job fair, so that way you can start in March when the park opens for the season and hopefully get what ride you want. There will be lines though, so it is better to get there early (as I learned when I went in January) Which rides where you thinking about doing? Most of them are in paired into sections (such as Firefall/Celebration Swings/Flying Eagles or Flight Deck/Delta Flyer/Rue Le Dodge for example are paired like that) Though it could change from season to season, for instance in the 2010 season, Firefall did not have Celebration Swings, we only had Flying Eagles.

Yeah, the light rail site can sorta be confusing, dependent on where you live you in San Jose, you might need to take a bus or another light rail line at first, then you would need to use the Winchester-Mountain View light rail line (it runs down Southwest Expressway, through Downtown San Jose and then North First Street) to get to Great America. Hope this helps, it is easy to mix up the lines, the few times I've used it, I've wound up on the wrong train at least once.

My first choice that I want and hope that I can get is the Flight Deck/Delta Flyer/Rue Le Dodge area. If that is taken up I just want to try and get any of the coasters really. The three main ones I would want to try and get is Flight Deck/Vortex/Demon.

rsz_light_rail.jpg.83fa669880348f893b762d2097a23d57.jpg

I would be getting on where I circled in red then I guess I would transfer where the T is and go to the Great America station.

My first choice that I want and hope that I can get is the Flight Deck/Delta Flyer/Rue Le Dodge area. If that is taken up I just want to try and get any of the coasters really. The three main ones I would want to try and get is Flight Deck/Vortex/Demon.

Yeah, those seem to be the ones people applying want to go to first, the coasters in the park. If you go to Vortex, it has Columbia Carousel and Star Tower with it, If you go to Demon, it has Whitewater Falls and Berserker with it. It's nice that way in that you don't get stuck at one ride for the entire day, but are moved around among the ones in your ride area. As for the light rail, yeah, you would need to transfer trains there at Tasman and First unless you walked the difference down Tasman, but it's kinda a long walk.

And with the talk of Haunt, when leaving work today, I saw some pre built wood "walls" being moved, likely for one of the mazes, maybe for Rue Le Dodge since it's closing soon. And last week when I was attempting to ride Star Tower to take some pictures from it (it would not dispatch for some reason, so we all had to leave the ride) Anyway, I saw the panels up for Club Blood in the area in front of the Imax, though they have likely been up for a bit, since I don't go near the Imax often.

I know this is a bit off topic as of right now, but does anybody know when the official announcement will be for haunt. The site's been up almost a month and still hasn't been updated.

they are working on it. a lot has to be done for the actual update as a lot of things are being re-written.

as for the walls, yes those would be for CarnEVIL

Some of the new descriptions of the mazes/scarzones are updated:

Slaughterhouse:

There are too many people in the world and not enough food. This Slaughterhouse takes care of both problems. A constant feed of humans are being subjected to the grinders which keep the river of blood flowing through this dark complex. It’s a virtual cornucopia of bloody remains as parts are ground into a tasty meat treat using a very special recipe which includes one very special ingredient …You. Do not let the fear paralyze you as you attempt to escape from the edge of Annihilation.

Dead Man's Cove:

The Captain and his crew have been joined by ghastly creatures from the depths of the Abyss. Lost for all eternity, these forsaken souls wander Dead Man’s Cove in search of treasure. Only this treasure isn’t your ordinary booty, it’s your soul! And, if you are not willing to join, they might just have to make you.

Underworld Alley:

In an age of darkness, at a time of evil, as night falls, the Army of the Dead is awakened from their graves, looking to wreak havoc on those brave enough to enter their graveyard. These recently departed and tattered souls are lost in a world of transition and searching for the next soul to join them in a horrifying syndicate of wickedness known as Underworld Alley.

Shows:

Blood Drums:

Out of the beauty of the night, Blood Drums is tapping into the simple and complex rhythms of fright. You will find yourself being taken away to a magical and frightening place. When the drums reach a fever pitch and the blood boils with revulsion, the mind has no compulsion. The leader will have no need in seizing souls as they will have succumbed, gladly offering up what is there for the taking. Blood Drums is a mesmerizing amalgamation of cadence and sound.

^You're probably right about the Carnevil walls.

I know this is a bit off topic as of right now, but does anybody know when the official announcement will be for haunt. The site's been up almost a month and still hasn't been updated.

they are working on it. a lot has to be done for the actual update as a lot of things are being re-written.

as for the walls, yes those would be for CarnEVIL

I saw another set of the wood walls today (one of the two sets was the one I saw being moved yesterday) , sitting under Vortex right now. Given where they are sitting, thinking back to last season, there were changing rooms built under Vortex and they are likely for them this season as well and not for Carnevil. But then again I could be wrong and they could just be keeping them there for Carnevil.

And as noted a while back, Rapids does close on September 5th for it's conversion to begin into Werewolf Canyon, as does Barney Old Field speedway for it's use as Cornstalkers. Boomerang Bay's last day of operation is also on September 5th.