TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NO GAS MAY 15th?

HAYASHI

Will you participate?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Will you participate?

• YES it will work. I wont buy gas that day
    • NO it wont work.
    • I DONT CARE. depends if i need gas or not that day.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ They also dont work because they aren't true boycots----you have several individuals who pumped gas for show.

Anyway, gas dropped a few cents here. Of course, I personally believe that a protest like this doesn't provide instant gratification (as do most things that aren't microwaveable).

Anyway, I think the biggest flaw in this particular boycott was the weak promotion. Several people I spoke to about it simply didn't even know it was going on! If people are going to want to be serious about a boycott like this, they're going to have to promote on all fronts. Not just with MySpace bulletins and forum threads.

-Jahan

I filled up my tank yesterday and won't need gas for another week. I bet at least 6/7ths of everyone will be in the same situation Smile

I'm surprised this comment was overlooked, but it actually points out another flaw in the argument.

The original post at the start of this thread said

There are 73,000,000+ American members currently on the internet network, and the average car takes about 30 to 50 dollars to fill up.

If all users did not go to the pump on the 15th, it would take $2,292,000, 000.00 (that's almost 3 BILLION) out of the oil companies pockets for just one day, so please do not go to the gas station on May 15th and lets try to put a dent in the Middle Eastern oil industry for at least one day.

But in reality all Internet users don't buy petrol every day. This is a rough calculation but in reality only about 1/7 of Internet users would get petrol on a given day (im just using 1/7 so i have a figure to work with, i am aware it wouldn't be like this exactly as people might get more petrol later in the week ready for weekend trips etc.)

So anyway, it would really only be about a $372.4 Million hit on the Oil companies, assuming everyone took part in the protest.

Big dent in the companies

Another little thing i spotted, the original post says

it would take $2,292,000, 000.00 (that's almost 3 BILLION)

How is $2.29 Billion almost $3 Billion? Someone didn't learn how to round of numbers properly in Maths class....