TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Sylvan Beach to get 14 new rides!

Sylvan Beach Amusement Park, the very little known amusment park in Central NY that I praise so much for its 1950's feel, is finally expanding! It may take a while, because this plan is to take 5 - 10 years, but at least they are getting something! Luckily, the owner of the park is still trying to keep the park with an atmosphere from the 1940's (although I think it's more 1950's because it has a steel coaster and Fluorescent Lighting all over the place) Some of the new rides that will come within the next 5 - 10 years are:

-Paddleboat Rentals

-Mini Golf

-Parasailing

-A speed boat that goes 60 mph and carries 150 people

-An insanely rare DOUBLE FERRIS WHEEL

- More Motel Rooms

The article was found in the Post Standard (I would give a link to the article online, but the Post Standard's seach system is really bad)

I always thought the park was a haven of old and rare rides, from companies like:

-Traver Engineering

-Eli Bridge

-Sellner (the original Tilt - A - Whirl is still made, but it is old)

-Eyerly Aircraft Company

-PTC (yes, they made flat rides along with Traver)

-W.F. Mangels

-Allan Herschell Company (Ironically, this ride is called Tanks)

-Pretzel Amusement Ride Company (Once Coney Island closes, Sylvan Beach's laffland will be one of only four remaining Pretzel Dark Rides in the world, and they once numbered to about 1,000)

-Hrubetz (The only other Tip Top I know of is in Stricker's Grove)

So, the fact they haven't gotten anything since 1993 (the SDC Galaxi) and the fact that they are keeping the park's atmosphere alive (the Parasailing, Speed Boat, and Paddleboat stuff is on the beach, which is only a couple hundred feet away, but is somewhat hidden by trees) is why I am going completely crazy.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^It didn't say, it just said Double Ferris Wheel, however I assume that it isn't those Intamin Coaster Wheels, I'm thinking the traditional Double Ferris Wheel that you very rarely see nowadays (only at fairs, and still very few of them) that existed in decades past. They probably don't have the land for an Intamin Coaster Wheel, anyway, and the traditional Double Ferris Wheel would fit the 1950's theme of the park much better.

^^

After finally remembering what the product name of this ride is - it's a Chance Sky Wheel, and I'm surprised at how old these things are. I had a feeling they were around since the 1950's, but I had no idea that they were around since 1939 (its info on flatrides.com says that) As you see, it has 2 Mini Ferris Wheels attatched to an arm, each Mini Wheel has 8 chairs, each chair holds two people, and since there are two arms, the ride holds 32 people at a time. The capacity is average, but for those of you who have been there, you should know capacity is not an issue at Sylvan Beach. If you go on a Wednesday in July (when I usually go) you will see what I mean. As for the Sky Wheel, I'm pretty sure it is one of these, as one would fit the park perfectly, and I can't imagine Intamin building a multi million dollar Coaster Wheel here, because I think those are way out of Sylvan Beach's price range. The last thing they got was a hand me down Galaxi in 1993. But don't get me wrong, the park is great, and all they need is maybe a Round Up, and definitely a Loop - O - Plane from a fair or something, and some other old rides, a refurbishment of their Tip Top, and the place would be perfect.

don't stop at Sylvan Beach, especially on your honeymoon. It is only a step up from Coney Beach in Wales, although much cleaner.

I never found the park to be bad at all. There are a couple of support beams on Galaxi that need re painting, and only a couple, and the Tip Top I do agree is not in the best of shape, but it runs fine, and everything else in the park is amazing. (Quote from different, old topic)

-Pretzel Amusement Ride Company (Once Coney Island closes, Sylvan Beach's laffland will be one of only four remaining Pretzel Dark Rides in the world, and they once numbered to about 1,000)

are there really only four?! because ive been on one in a really crappy park called Sandy Lake, but I didn't know they were that rare.

^ Sandy Lake is one of them, Sylvan Beach has the second, Knoebels has the third, Conneaut Lake Park has the fourth, and Coney Island has the fifth, but that is going to leave along with everything else in Coney Island except for Cyclone, Wonder Wheel, and maybe the Observation Tower. So, there are technically five remaining, but the number will be four when the 2008 season begins. Another reason to say that Sylvan Beach is the hidden gem of Central New York.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for double posting, but I have more news!

I just read from wnycoasters that the mini golf course will be coming this month, and they will be getting TGE's Rotor, (which will arrive by Friday) and more!

http://www.amusementgraffixintl.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1144&highlight=

7th post in the thread.

Double Ferris Wheels (Skywheels) are SOOOO Fun. You get serious floater time in parts of the ride. If you ever see one of these things, definately worth the stop to ride them. I'm so suprised that parks didn't keep up on these, since they are so fun.