TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Deciding between three parks... need some opinions

Okay so this year's original "Angry Rhino Trip" had to be shelved due to lack of both time and funds.

However Nikki and I still plan on making a week-long trip and hitting a few parks just to fill our coaster requirements!

So far, we've planned to hit Carowinds, Busch Gardens Europe, and then a very quick stop at Kings Dominion for a ride on Volcano, Avalanche, and maybe Italian Job. We have one more park that we can hit during this week-long trek, however we need some outside opinions on the matter.

So, here are the three choices:

1] HersheyPark

2] Kennywood

3] Six Flags America

Now, normally, it would only be a two-horse race [the first two]. However, we've been to both of the first two parks before, and got all of the credits. We liked both of the parks, but we're creditwhores, so we always want to improve that count.

Here are some questions I'd like opinions on:

1] Is SFA worth a trip?

2] Are their coasters even good?

3] Is the park suffering from the usual "Six Flags" problems [ie: poor reliability, bad management, ugly park]

4] What is the area surrounding the park like? Lots of traffic? Horribly busy? Ghetto as all hell?

5] Is it worth the new credits to go here over another park that we really liked and would like to return to at some point?

6] Should I eat carrots or peas for dinner with my meatloaf tonight?

Okay, you can skip that last question

But seriously guys, I need some opinions on SFA here

Thanks!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought SFA was a pretty decent park. Definetly worth a credit stop.

Superman is good (as you know by SFDL), and Wild One is good.

Though personally I think Kennywood and Hershey are too good of parks to give them up for a credit stop. But that's just my opinion.

We haven't been to "SFA" yet, but it got several mentions in the "Most Underrated Park" thread.

Without having experienced the park first-hand, I would guess it's probably not up to the level of "Hershey" or "Kenny", but it definitely seems to be worth a stop; if you can deal with a "good" time rather than a "great" one (especially knowing that you two are big on credit-whoring), you should probably hit it. It's not like you're going to a park that's known for being completely crappy, you know?

Also, if I remember correctly, you've never been to "SFGAdv" in NJ - you should definitely go if that's the case, it's in the general area of where you're gonna be. If you can do it on a week-day (or a pre- or post-season weekend), it's bliss - an absolutely amazing collection of coasters with above-average operations (with the only real problems being getting KK and Toro open with the park). However, if the only way you could schedule it would be on a Saturday or Sunday, then don't bother, the crowds will eat you alive.

SFA is technically my home park, but it not one I ultimately enjoy. Here's my extremely biased opinion :

Here are some questions I'd like opinions on:

1] Is SFA worth a trip?

That depends on what you're looking for. Seeing you've visited Hershey and Kennywood before, that might be something in favor of SFA for a change. However, I will say overall those two are far superior parks.

2] Are their coasters even good?

They're pretty good. They're nothing to write home about but they're not awful either. Whenever I've visited, which I admit hasn't been all that often, I've found Joker's Jinx to be a pretty fun ride with almost always no wait anymore. The woodies are pretty basic. Roar is your basic GCI and Wild One is an out and back that threads through the Typhoon Seacoaster or Skull Mountain or whatever it's called now. Batwing is a good ride, but it also has some of the worst operations I've ever seen. Superman is easily the best coaster in the park, but it's somewhat boring if you've ridden other hypers. There's not much to it really. Then there's the pain that is Mind Eraser, one of, if not the, first Vekoma hang and bang. The only one I haven't ridden is Two Face simply because I avoid Boomerangs as much as I can.

3] Is the park suffering from the usual "Six Flags" problems [ie: poor reliability, bad management, ugly park]

Not as bad as I've seen from other parks. The reliability is pretty good, however, in my experience, things tend to go down for hours at a time and reopen before the park closes. Superman and Batwing have broken down often, and I've watched Mind Eraser break once when the lift just stopped and they waited there. There was also a big commotion when Two Face broke one I believe Memorial Day weekend and people were stuck there for a few hours. There are some slow operations, especially at the rides that are more popular. The #1 offender is Batwing. Batwing takes forever to load, due to the nature of the restraints and the ride, and the second load track was used sparingly during its opening year and hasn't been used consistently since. Therefore, it always has a long wait. Superman also has some pretty bad operations from time to time. The break run is really short so they really can't have more than two trains on at one time. This coupled with some poor loading and unloading procedures can be annoying. The last example is also true. The park is pretty darn ugly. The lands in the front that have remained relatively unchanged since it was Wild/Adventure World are pretty nice, your basic amusement park theming. However, the newer Six Flags stuff, especially around the Gotham City and Superman/Batwing areas, is all concrete and steel. Not a tree or shade anywhere. That's one of my major complaints with the park: there's no shade. With minimal trees and tons of sidewalk and blacktop, it feels really hot and somewhat uncomfortable.

4] What is the area surrounding the park like? Lots of traffic? Horribly busy? Ghetto as all hell?

It's in Prince Georges County, Maryland, which some people consider to be a bit of the armpit of MD. Around the park itself, there's not much. There's a really big church and the start of some housing but that's about it. It's off a main road, so there's some traffic but nothing horrible. However, the typical local audience is the same as the typical local audience in every Six Flags: unsupervised teenagers who don't give a care. What I've heard that happens in Magic Mountain is remarkably similar to what I've seen at SFA. It's funny how things work like that

5] Is it worth the new credits to go here over another park that we really liked and would like to return to at some point?

It depends on how important the credits are to you. If I were making the decision between the former two and SFA, I'd choose the former two every time. I've had better experiences with Hershey and Kennywood, far better than I've ever had at SFA. The feel of the park is something that is very important to me. Hershey and Kennywood feel, to me, welcoming and have a sense of history and stability. SFA feels hard worked and, frankly, kind of ghetto. Some people in the area categorize SFA as one-step up from someone setting up a moon bounce in your cul-de-sac or a parking lot carnival. Personally, I don't think it's that bad, but it's not the most wonderful park I've ever been to.

6] Should I eat carrots or peas for dinner with my meatloaf tonight?

Neither. Potatoes man!

I will reiterate, it's my home park, so I may be a little biased because it's the closest thing to me. I hope all that is a little bit helpful.

-Stuart

SFA is worth a visit if you've never been there before. Wild One is one of the best wooden coasters in the SF chain, Superman is a really good ride, and Joker's Jinx is also a lot of fun. I would advise staying away from the place on a weekend, just like any corporate park.

If you go, get there before opening, and quickly make your way back to Batwing, since as others have said, it has really bad capacity.

The area around the park is fine, and the traffic won't be too annoying.

Yes, the park is nowhere near as good as Hersheypark or Kennywood, but if you want credits, there are far worse places you could visit.

dt

SFA seems to get a lot of crap. I've been to the park at least 15 times over a 3 year period and never had one of 'those' days that you hear about, but I don't doubt they happen.

My advice, go for it, get flashpasses if it's horribly busy, and make the most of it. Like others have said they have two great woodies and two great steel coasters, plus a bunch more credits!

Aww, I'm sorry to hear Angry Rhino Trip had to die.

I say go the credit route and hit SFA! I have never been there, but I haven't heard anything bad about it except parts of it are just like a giant lawn with coasters placed randomly. And really, aren't many parks like that??

^^^I completely agree with Dave and on top of top I enjoy Roar also.

The only bad coaster is MindEraser..

As I credit whore myself I would recommend SFA, over the other parks since you have already been. As long as you know going in not to expect HP or KW atmosphere, more like SoulPark.

RIP angry rhino trip

Thanks for all the advice! I'm glad we didn't get yelled at to "PLAN [OUR] OWN GODDAMN TRIP" like we did at another site *cough*what is that buzzing I hear?!*cough*. It's a tough decision. The credit whore in me wants to go to SFA, but nothing there really excites me. Plus, I want to make Jer ride Roller Soaker again

As for SFGadv..we've been wanting to go there for a while, but all the stories of the horrible people encountered there keep making us put it off. Maybe it's worth it?

But... but... we're there!

You liked us!

You said we'd be best friends forever!

We make up for ugly bad poo-poo New-Jersey yuck-yuck!

Seriously though, while the park has the reputation of being filled to capacity with lots of incredibly rude people, it's really only on Summer weekends that it's like that - if you go pre-season, or during the week in the Summer, you'll be fine. Give yourself two days like that, and you'll get on everything multiple times.

It's an incredible park that just happens to be in a terrible location.

I think the New Jersey Batman is the one that pees on you anyway. I can't decide if I'd rather be stung by bees on French Batman or peed on by New Jersey Batman.

Well the one time I've been to SFGADV, the entire ride area for Batman reeked like vomit.

Not that I was really surprised considering how intense the ride is, but it was still pretty gross.

SFGADV is a park that requires purchase of a Q-bot.

Seriously though, while the park has the reputation of being filled to capacity with lots of incredibly rude people, it's really only on Summer weekends that it's like that - if you go pre-season, or during the week in the Summer, you'll be fine. Give yourself two days like that, and you'll get on everything multiple times.

Awww, we like you! You made Holiday World suck less! That's good to know about SFGadv. Unfortunately we'd be there on a weekend so I guess this time we'll skip it. Maybe next year we'll get it in.

Well the one time I've been to SFGADV, the entire ride area for Batman reeked like vomit.

I think I'd take vomit smell over the diarreah smell in the tunnel on the Voyage at Holiday World. That was pleasant!

Unfortunately we'd be there on a weekend so I guess this time we'll skip it.

In that case, I go back to my original vote: SFA.

I think I'd take vomit smell over the diarreah smell in the tunnel on the Voyage at Holiday World.

Yeah, it definitely had that weird "farm animal" smell around there - I noticed it most just before the brake-run. Odd.