TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SFOG Opening Day '07!

So last Saturday March the 10th, me and 3 friends decided to go to SFOG since it was opening day and their 40th anniversary. My friend and I have been waiting on coaster season to start all winter.

We kept checking the weather and it was threatening to rain, but I figured "what kind of coaster nerd would I be if I didn't go on opening day and ride in the rain." As we left my place it was overcast and drizzling a little. We arrived in about 15 minutes and I waited on our friends as Scott got his season pass processed. My friends showed up shortly after and one of them also had to get his pass processed, which didn't take long at all. The rain had stopped, but it was pretty chilly. We went and jumped in line and were in the park by 10:05. By the looks, there weren't too many people here. We automatically went to Georgia Scorcher as it is the first ride you come to on the left side. When we entered the park we had seen that Scorcher got an all new paint job this year, BRIGHT yellow and purple, which were the colors before, but they are super bright now. It almost hurts your eyes. Anyway, I don't know if it got a new chain or what, but the trains go up much faster than they used too. It was a fun ride and it seemed smoother than normal, maybe because of the new paint job. Next we headed over to gotham city and got a ride on Batman and Mindbender. Then went back to Batman for a second ride in the front row. They were the same ole coasters, fun, but not the best. All the lines thus far were really short.Some were walk ons. Then we headed over for our first Goliath ride of the day. Line was all of 10 minutes. Still smooth as last year and the best coaster I've ridden. We then decided to get something to eat. Stopped at Panda express and dealt with extremely slow service.

After lunch, we decided to hit Dahlonega Mine Train and Canyon Blaster so my friend Scott could get his credits. I am trying to turn him into a credit whore, but I don't think he's real into it yet. On the way over to the Cotton States part of the park, I wanted to ride the rockin tugboat for the heck of it since there was no one in the park. It was a fun little ride. I like rides that spin. Then we head over for a ride on Superman, but after getting in line, it broke down. We left and went to ride the GASM. The one thing I noticed about GASM is that they weren't slamming on the brakes at the end like usual. The brakes were heavy, but not slamming to a dead stop. We then went for a ride on Ninja(AKA-the death machine.) It looked to have gotten new wheels which made it a little smoother of a ride, but not much. After this was a spin on the wheelie. Deja Vu was of course closed, so no rides on that. When are they going to tear that thing down and give us something that works? I have ridden it 1 time in the 4 or 5 years its been there.

My friends wanted to do the bumper cars, so they did that while I used the bathroom. Then we hit up Superman, as it was running again. Longest wait of the day, which was about 20 minutes. We sat in the back seat this time, which I had never done before. Loved it. I never want to ride anywhere else on the train. We then headed back to the middle of the park because my friends wanted to ride Acrophobia, which is actually working this year, after two years of "getting struck by lightening." I noticed that it is not rotating up the tower this year. Strange. After that, we headed to Georgia Cyclone for a ride. I figured even though it is the roughest coaster ever, it looked as if they had gotten new trains. Wrong, they had just been painted. It is still the roughest ride ever. Put that one on my list not to ride for the rest of the season. We went back to Goliath for a few more rides. It was almost a walk on every time. We rode it several times. Gosh, I love that coaster. My two friends left and Scott and I decided to Goliath once more in the very front car. I had never ridden in the front car because the line was always too long. WOW, what a rush. I never thought a front car ride could be so fast and seem to have more airtime than the back, but Goliath delivers. I almost couldn't hold my hands up, cause it kind of freaked me out. The wind in the front is crazy too. I had tears streaming down my face when we got back to the station. After that, we decided to get another ride on Scorcher as it was a walkon. Then we left the park around 5. The one thing I forgot to mention is that all the clouds cleared around 12 and it made to be a beautiful day. it ended up being around 75 degrees and actually got hot for a little while!

Since the park was virtually empty(I would venture to say only about 500-1000 people in the park all day,) we had a blast. Rode everything we wanted several times. Glad that we decided to go despite the nastiness of the morning. Sorry there are no pics. I don't have a digital camera yet, but plan on getting one soon!

Our ride brakedown for the day was:

Georgia Scorcher-2 rides

Mindbender-1

Batman-2

Goliath-6

Superman-1

GASM-1

Ninja-1

Wheelie-1

Rockin Tug-1

Canyon Blaster-1

Mine Train-1

Acrophobia-1

Georgia Cyclone-1

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome play-by-play!

BTW, this was me each time on Goliath: The front row definately has a lot more airtime then I imagined.

Acrophobia was the most intense ride of the day for me as it's been four years since I've been on it.

And I'm slowly turning over to the 'dark side' of credit whoreness. Canyon Blaster was fun, I admit, but could have been a little longer.

Until next time!

Scott

nice report! i definitely wanna visit sfog some time soon.

is it possible to do sfog and carowinds in two days? i'd have to take a plane from miami, fl to atlanta on friday night, then grab a car, go to carowinds on saturday, drive back to atlanta and go to sfog on sunday. i'm used to driving long distances.

best,

stefan

Thanks for the great Trip Report!! I'm going to SFoG on Easter Sunday and can't FREAKING wait! Goliath is a blast, and the Mindbender is one of my favorites (my first looping coaster.)

After reading your trip report, I am more excited than ever.

David

Well I feel a bit discriminated on this board because I'm black and christian.

Im a black christian and I dont think anyone has offended me in anyway man....

but

nice report! i definitely wanna visit sfog some time soon.

is it possible to do sfog and carowinds in two days? i'd have to take a plane from miami, fl to atlanta on friday night, then grab a car, go to carowinds on saturday, drive back to atlanta and go to sfog on sunday. i'm used to driving long distances.

best,

stefan

I would suggest flying into charlotte then hitting up carowinds then driving down to SFOG that evening and getting up early in the morning to do the whole park then fly back from ATL!

I knew someone would ask about the avatar. If you look close it says, SF over South Georgia. You know, lots of racists there. Its a joke.

HAHAH!! Love you're avatar! It's the greatest I've seen....

p.s..... what does being christian have anything to do with that avatar?

I would suggest flying into charlotte then hitting up carowinds then driving down to SFOG that evening and getting up early in the morning to do the whole park then fly back from ATL!

thanks a lot for your help! i'm gonna check prices. unfortunately car rentals are usually a lot more expensive if you drop off the car at a different location than the pickup location. we'll see. man i wanna go now! ;p