TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silly String in the millitary???????

major bummer

Yes silly string is used in the U.S millitary

This is a Quote from a soldier in Iraq

"Silly string has served me well in Combat especially in looking for I.A.Ds., simply put, booby traps. When you spray the silly sting in dark areas, especially when you doing house to house fighting. On many occasions the silly string has saved me and my men’s lives.“

Wow the U.S is the world smartest army and our secret weapon is silly string.

what do you think about this. comment please

string03.jpg.90e8b1dece32f34f528954b270dd2102.jpg

silly string hang perfectly over the trip wire

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They could do the same thing but make a very small gun loaded with some very thin plastic or composite fabric that could be invisible to the naked eye but show up with some special goggles and they could shoot that over longer spans, especially at night, flip on goggles and look for anything there as well.

They could do the same thing but make a very small gun loaded with some very thin plastic or composite fabric that could be invisible to the naked eye but show up with some special goggles and they could shoot that over longer spans, especially at night, flip on goggles and look for anything there as well.

That sounds good on paper, but in practicality, it just doesn't work. Trip wires are hard to see even in broad day light. Keep in mind that these soldiers in Iraq are using the silly string indoors and poorly lit areas. Trip wires do not show up on night vision goggles. Silly string is a trick out of MacGyver's handbook that works very well.

I was speaking of some synthetic wire that would say, be seen in ultraviolet or heat vision. Obviously the trip wires are hard, thats the point.

Im talking of something similar to the silly string but with a much longer range application than right on top of it. Plus, if you silence it, it could be much quieter.

Imagine a small BB with a few hundred feet of synthetic wire that can be seen with some sort of aid but not to the human eye. Shoot that slienced across streets and alleys and youve got the same thing but with a longer range application. You could then just trace that wire and where ever its being held up, take note.

I was speaking of some synthetic wire that would say, be seen in ultraviolet or heat vision. Obviously the trip wires are hard, thats the point.

Im talking of something similar to the silly string but with a much longer range application than right on top of it. Plus, if you silence it, it could be much quieter.

Imagine a small BB with a few hundred feet of synthetic wire that can be seen with some sort of aid but not to the human eye. Shoot that slienced across streets and alleys and youve got the same thing but with a longer range application. You could then just trace that wire and where ever its being held up, take note.

Outdoors, in open areas, it could work, but one of the evolutions of modern combat, is that it has become urban combat. There's just too many obsticles in the way and cubby holes in urban environments for it to be effective. On top of that, it will not work at all indoors. Tripwires can be attached to doors and objects such that if they are moved, they trip the booby trap.

Keep it simple. Sometimes high technology is not the best solution and is often a waste of taxpayers' money. This is especially true when booby traps are only limited to your imagination (meaning there are no limits except for the ones you place on yourself).

• 2 weeks later...