TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Theme Park Review reviewed on MiceAge

MiceAge's Kevin Yee used a bit of time to review Theme Park Review vol. 6 in the most recent update. As it is stated:

I'm a bit behind the times, but have finally had the chance to review the summer 2005 DVD offering from Theme Park Review, those wacky guys who travel the globe, ride roller-coasters, and take video of the whole endeavor. Reading that sentence again, I realize how incredibly commonplace that sounds, but these trips are anything but. Robb Alvey and his wife Elissa are the prime forces behind www.themeparkreview.com, and their trips to the amusement parks of the world are infused with a kind of zaniness that defies description. I can only attempt to explain it by claiming that the unbridled enthusiasm of everyone on tape—Robb and Elissa don't travel alone very often—is positively infectious. The editing is inventive (for instance, alternating views from the front of a coaster and behind it, in syncopation with the pulsing soundtrack of pop songs), designed to capture the manic energy more than anything else.

Volume Six, which is the most recent, covers a 2005 trip to Europe. There are three discs, each almost 80 minutes long. Disc One moves from park to park, showcasing the rides (not just coasters, but mostly those) as seen from the ground with some on-ride footage mixed in. But don't be fooled. The primary fun is in the human interactions. Robb and his gang are so irrepressibly charismatic, you can't help but smile along. He's like Jim Carrey, only with more arm hair. And a mite more funny, too, for my money.

Disc Two features on-ride first-person perspectives of the same parks, but this is probably of interest more for the hard core fans. Of interest to Disney park fans will be the ride-throughs of the Paris version of Pirates of the Caribbean and the Phantom Manor. Disc Three includes fan-submitted music videos: basically people at home doing micro-versions of what Robb has been doing so successfully all these years. In fact, these videos made me realize what Robb's have that they don't. Many of them are edited with more precision and more professionally, but they lack Robb's quirkiness.

Well, that's quite a nice review, if I do say so myself.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe it

1 I am not mentioned in it

2 the water incident is not metioned in it

(Only GOOFING around, so no hate mails please!)

great stuff you two...

BTW; Pooh got a star, soon you're going to have yours too (I am willing to take the invitation to come to LA to do the speech... )

OK OK ok....

The GOOF goes on

I can only say... keep those DVD coming. (Could I take a subscription to the DVD's, now that would be cool) Looking forwards to see the next one

I can only say... keep those DVD coming. (Could I take a subscription to the DVD's, now that would be cool)

Hmm....funny you should mention that!

--Robb "An idea we've been toying with for a while now...." Alvey

I can only say... keep those DVD coming. (Could I take a subscription to the DVD's, now that would be cool)

Hmm....funny you should mention that!

--Robb "An idea we've been toying with for a while now...." Alvey

I've always wanted to be nr 1 on a order card... so here is your first subscriber....