TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The NHL Stretch Run

Jonathan

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn, between tonight's Cane's game and that 7-6 Saber's game, and the 5-8 seeds ALL advancing in the west, the NHL playoffs have been absolutely nuts. I don't even care that my Avs are down 2-0 to the ducks, I still like all the teams left except for the Devils (and I guess the ducks-F*** them).

What a year of hockey.

Go Hurricanes!

looking forward to watching a good game with the Oilers and Sharks now...their games have been really good.

did anybody else notice the bottom 4 seeds advanced to the second round in the west and in the east it was the top 4?..crazy

JEFF

Go Hurricanes!

looking forward to watching a good game with the Oilers and Sharks now...their games have been really good.

did anybody else notice the bottom 4 seeds advanced to the second round in the west and in the east it was the top 4?..crazy

JEFF

Yeah I noticed, it's a nice selection of parity right there That or the west's top teams just weren't very good.

BUF/CAR brought us two of the best games all season [their final two meetings in Buffalo], and so hopefully this series will not disappoint.

And Edmonton, well I just hope they keep their momentum going in game six, but San Jose will likely come out with Nabokov... so he could potentially steal a game for them and force it to seven. GO OILERS!

• 3 weeks later...

Damn that game sucked, for Edmonton of course. I really hope that next game they step up another notch. At too many points during the game they just looked like they were lazily skating around the ice and not really making a big effort to get the puck on the net as much as possible.

The rest of the series better be interesting, I really hate blowout games like these, its just not interesting and fun to watch.

I'd like to personally thank Gary Bettman for continuing to screw up this great game just a little bit more with each season that goes by. Tampa, and now Carolina....please.

To the great people of Hartford....although I am a lifetime Bruins fan, and therefore hated the burger king whalers, I still feel for you all tonight. Perhaps you can call up the folks from Quebec City (yep, hated them too....anyone from the Adams for that matter), and Minnesota, and get together and have a beer and console each other. Gary Bettman should apologize to each and every former season ticket holder from the aforementioned cities. Although my beloved Bruins haven't won the Cup since I've been on this earth, I sympathize with each of you who've had to endure losing your team only to see a group of newbie bandwagon fans celebrate a Cup victory in your team's new residence.

Carolina, Tampa Bay, Anahiem, Florida, Columbus, Atlanta (didn't that fail the first time around?), and for the love of GOD....freakin' NASHVILLE!?! Expansion and team-stealing cities have ruined what was once a grand game. I'd be remiss if I didn't say I was sorry for Canada too. Sounds strange coming from a true redblooded American, but the last two years I've been pulling for the small market Canadian teams to bring Lord Stanley's Cup back to a better home.

Okay, end rant, I guess. Sorry, it just sucks to see your favorite sport and favorite league go down the drain.

The only small consolation or saving grace from tonight is watching Glen Wesley hold the Cup.

Scott "Long live the original 6" B.

I don't know about most people, but I just finished watching one of the greatest playoff series of one of the greatest games ever created. I've been a hockey fan for a long time, and it makes me angry to read the previous comments after witnessing something spectacular take place in a state that's never had a major sports championship. I live in VA now, but I lived in Carolina for a few years growing up, and I'm sorry it didn't work out in Hartford, but it didn't. What hockey has done for the South has really opened up a whole different world to a new generation that may not have had the opportunity to learn about hockey in the past. It's called expansion, and it happens in every sport. I can't see how in the world it can possibly be considered a bad thing. I learned to play hockey in Carolina beacuse of the buzz surrounding my city's first minor league team, and the passion of the sport will be with me forever because of it.

The game has changed, but it's changed because it has to. I think most of the changes made this season have been for the better, and although I'm still a fan of old school hockey, I enjoy the new style just as much. I've had the best time watching the playoffs this season with friends and family, and hope for more of the same in the future.

Congrats to Jonathan for starting this post and coming out on top. Go Canes!

AT least i know hat tampa wouldn't of one the final anyway, had they beaten the Oilers in the quaters.

I watched a few replays of the game on the news, and it looked quite a good match.

Well done canes, but i wish i could've watched the whole match.

Oh yeah, how could I forget Phoenix? They're in the team-stealing city list too. It makes me wonder if the Gretzkys took Carolina in this one?

As for the ^^ post, well, to each his own. I'm a purist, and that's just how it is. Overall, the game has suffered from numerous changes which have occured since the ex-NBA moron took office. From glowing pucks to netting around the rinks, multiple lockouts to tainted cups, watered down overexpansion to shootouts, cheerleaders to mascots.....it is simply a carnival for the "Cleaver" family to attend these days.

Give me the drunk, glass-banging construction worker-types of the Boston Garden who showed up to watch a game - not catch a free t-shirt from some bimbo with an over-enthusiastic smile between periods. That's when hockey was still a great game....IMHO, as always.

Scott "at least the playoff beards are still a tradition" B.

It’s cool, I understand what you’re saying… the sport was built on tradition, and I agree the changes have taken away a lot. Aside from that, I’m just having a hard time understanding how it can be seen as such a negative thing, when (IMO) it’s essentially the same game being played. The intensity and competitiveness is still there, and if back-to-back game 7 wins for a small market team to win the Stanley Cup doesn’t prove that, I don’t know what will. Plus, Carolina has been around for 10 years now, and they’ve had a chance to build a real franchise. It’s not like they just moved down from New England and stole a championship from the fans up there (although I agree that happened more or less in Denver a few years ago).

I would think most true fans of the sport would recognize that the changes were made in an attempt to increase the entertainment value, and expand into a new markets and new generations. It’s business. The league was losing millions of dollars each year. How secure would your job be if the company you worked for was losing that much money? In most cases there would have to be changes made, and unfortunately that requires a break from tradition. After the lockout, I’m just happy to be able to watch hockey every week during the winter and spring.

Besides, Cheerleaders are better to look at than drunk, glass-banging construction workers who blocky my view of the game

I really do not see what the problem is with having some entertainment during the intermissions, I would rather see bouncing taters than the ice smoothers going in circles I think the changes to Hockey this year were awesome and I found it much more entertaining to watch especially getting rid of the tie games.

If a game ends in a tie, what was the point in playing it in the first place?

Congrats to the Canes!

JEFF