TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Intamin Prefab Thread!

Those Intamin "prefabs" are IMO *pure* woodies by any means of definition. The wooden rails are layered and with steel plates, like on any woodie ever since. (and with Intamin's tracks, supports made of wood too).

With "Poly" wheels. I can't really comment further because I haven't rode one yet, but the whole "pure wood" thing is still a little suspect to me. I guess i will have to wait and see.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those Intamin "prefabs" are IMO *pure* woodies...

With "Poly" wheels.

Ah ok, i might understand a bit of this ongoing discussion now... :shock:

Falken at Farup utilizes Gerstlauer rolling stock which provides (quote fact-sheet:) "rubber bushings at wheels and axles for best ride comfort". So, these bushings are serving the very same purpose as any polyurethane coating on wheels.

hmmmmm.... wait!

I think I got it now! Thus Falken *can not* be a woodie either!

redunzelizer

Why don't they just lay down some pre-fab wood track on dragster so Cedar POint can take therecord for tallest wooden coaster haha. They could make shirts taht said 'I rode the worlds largest wood, gigiddy gigiddy gigiddy GOOO !!' haha

LMAO!! That is hilarious. I can't believe I didn't catch that earlier. Good call Ross.

Before we get into the whole "is it a woodie", I still think it is. I just qould have to believe that the ride experience is dramatically changed by this modification that no other traditional woodie shares.

I will make my last assessment when I actually ride the thing.

Well, of course the ride experience is different, but to argue that poly wheels "de-wood" it is very trivial. Many Steeleies use different wheel types and assemblies, but they are still steelies. Hypersonic uses rubber tires, if I'm not mistaken, but it's still a steelie. People don't start calling it road on supports, do they?

It's a wooden coaster that uses poly wheels and is heartlined, unlike most wooden coasters. The design is radically different (laser cut beams, not placed by hand in the traditional manner, that's how it is more like a steel coaster, red). I'm between the Real camp (not a woodie) and the everyone else camp (woodie).

We would get along with that nasty discussion way easier in case some timeline or "woddie generation scheme" could be established. For instance:

1st Gen: no upstops, no track calculus. Good ol' switchback & side-friction days.

2nd Gen: upstop wheels, true airtime, simple track calculus. "Golden Age"

3rd Gen: serious calculus, classic building tech. "Renaissance"

4th Gen: advanced calculus, 21st century building tech. "[pick a name....]"

No problem to create a "3rd Gen" coaster in 2017 still. Fun will always be fun. So "a woodie is a woodie is a woodie". basically just a bit depending on from *when*...

BTW: for me personally there actually is only one single type of coasters: rollercoasters!

redunzelizer

Poly == Polyurethane (spell check please). Most wooden coaster wheels are metal, which --I'm prety sure they would-- have more maintenece issues than poly--- does.

Looking back at some old PTC blueprints circa the mid 40's, I don't see any calculus being used. However, that's not to say it wasn't used on other documents that I don't have.

Good analysis redunzelizer!

with: "simple track calculus. Golden Age" i do mean really simple.

I'm pretty sure that all these fantastic designers had their ways to determine speeds on a certain drop, to approximate airtime on hills and such. All based on a lot of experience of course, but spiced with the very basics of Newtonian mechanics. These formulas usually being one liners like V² = 2*G*H and alike, too small to show up on any blueprints.

We nowadays all think "calculus" must involve Vector analysis of forces, FEA'ing the support structure and such. Well, not at *that* time. And in case some park receives blueprints from a coaster company today, i bet there will be not a bit on math on that one either. Just the very results drawn...

On topic back again - about that "un-woodie'ing" Poly wheel coating - It's called "Bayer Vulkollan" and is made of Polyurethane. Look here:

http://www.webzine.bayer.com/products/master-of-thrills/vulkollan-a-high-performance-material/page2561.htm

http://www.urethanewheels.com/amusement.htm

redunzelizer