TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dark Ride Idea Thread

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think sometimes even good themes can fall short if not executed well. I think what's most important is immersion. If I don't feel amazed or absorbed into what I'm seeing, then what's the point? I've ridden dark rides with themes I don't like, but their execution has kept me interested (e.g. Droomvlucht at Efteling, any of the Fantasyland dark rides in Disney parks). There are also dark rides which feel so disjointed that they just don't work (e.g. Wallace and Gromit at Blackpool Pleasure Beach). I thought that Wonder Mountain Guardian looked a good idea on paper, but in execution it was some obvious screens, and I felt really unimpressed when watching it through youtube.

In terms of themes I enjoy, I've always loved a good haunted/spooky dark ride. One kind in particular I'd love to see again is a modern update on the classic 'Haunted Tomb' concept (see Terror Tomb/Forbidden Tomb ride at Chessington World of Adventures -sadly now a shooting dark ride....boooooo hisssss!). Some kind of ride through a dusty tomb filled with ghosts, zombies and treasure.

I have this great idea that i want to be real some day.

It's a story about an evil magician.

It's actually not a regular dark ride since it's a vekoma junior inverted coaster,

that is mostly in the dark except for a short bit of track at the very end.

Basically you are trapped in the magicians hat, and it starts with a lift.

After the lift it will first turn and stop. Animatronic show of the magician performing spells on the guests

and then the train goes through some drops while objects fly by etc. and music plays in the back.

Then there's another stop where there's another person trapped in the hat. He tells you to run and then the magician appears

and the train goes through another bit of track. Then there's a scene where the person tells you how to escape the hat.

He tells you to go on your way and there's the second lift hill, taller than the first. During the lift hill the same music plays in the back

and at the side of the lift there's some effects. Then after that there's the wilder part of the track with flashing lights, quick animatronics and sounds of the magician laughing. It slows on a straight bit where the magician yells at you that you'll never escape, and the person comes in and fights the magician. After that the craziest part of the coaster will happen and at the end of the finale the train will go out of the building outside and have a gentle ending and then back to the station.

What theme makes for a good dark ride in your opinion? Personally, I think Attack on Titan would make a great theme, but I doubt any parks in the U.S. would build one. [attachment=0]attack-on-titan.jpg[/attachment]

Kind of violent don't you think?

I have this idea for a dark/thrill ride where every ride experiece is different because the cars constantly go through different paths, and go through some pretty cool elements, but I think it would probably be too expensive or space-taking to build.

I think Mad Houses are great dark rides, if they count !

Seriously, the best themes are the one that surround mysterious urban legend, where a side of the story can be interpreted in a dark way. That's why I think the two Houdini mad house at SFNE and SFGAdv are great, because they have good themes.

I have an idea where riders go on a drop/dark ride. You go inside of a tower, and shoot at visuals of a 3d screen, and move up higher for each level. Then, at the climax of the story, the riders face some final boss before dropping back down.

Wow, looking back at this, I think I just stole kinda Guardian's concept. Lol.

I'm a pretty big fan of Pretzel haunted houses so I think one of those with theming that doesn't look like it came out of the Halloween section of Wal-Mart would be a thrilling, scary(?) dark ride that still has some historical value