TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

18 Year Old Killed on Inferno at Terra Mítica

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If that picture of the kid killed is accurate we have put much larger people on these rides during our trips and had no issues. In fact two of our larger people got stuck on the ride because the restraint would NOT release them!

Based on that photo, I was almost certainly bigger than that guy when I rode Green Lantern, Insane and Kirnu without falling out and dying. I'd be surprised (and more than a little concerned) if the park's reasoning is accurate.

Indeed, if the belt was fastened...and I would assume there would be more than one hydraulic cylinder as well. There are so many redundancies and over-engineering in restraint systems - that's why if they are locked, they are super safe. It doesn't make sense. Also, with hydraulic restraints, I presume that they can only be unlocked in the station?

For the most part you need a conductor rail or some form of battery pack to unlock Intamin's hydraulic restraints. This points to a faulty or leaking part in the system, because Intamin has never made a manually releasing model. RMC is the only company that builds cylinders with release valves.

It could have also been a bad sensor in the restraint itself, but I think that the ride's computer would have caught it and not dispatched. It's still a puzzle because why wasn't the seat belt able to prevent this?

unless the whole welded part of the restraint lock system came off.

For all we know it might have. Intamin did say themselves that 'The park made restraint modifications without Intamin's knowledge or approval'. This could just as probable have been a really skinny guy dying on the ride. And for the park to do something like that - Idiots.

EDIT: I think it said that the whole thing came off in the news and didn't just open. Also, the park itself denied it would have to do with the deceased's weight early on. Another testimony to the fact that this was the parks fault and not Intamins is that they havn't changed the design of the restraint-system on other ZacSpins.

A bad weld or something similar could be plausible, if a hydraulic cylinder failed or vented during the ride, I assume there's a second one, If they both failed, or somehow disengaged, then the belt would still be there - but if there was an actual break in the metal of he restraint itself at some point, the force that the bar would be under during the ride could mean the whole thing would fail. I guess we'll never know.

• 11 months later...

There doesn't seem to be a dedicated Terra Mitica thread per the search feature so I figured I would post here.

Does anyone know what's going on with Magnus Colossus? RCDB lists it as SBNO since 2015 and it is not referenced anywhere on the Terra Mitica website. It is shown on the map though, but with no name, just a caricature of the coaster. We're going to be in Spain and July and were thinking about stopping by the park for a couple hours.

There doesn't seem to be a dedicated Terra Mitica thread per the search feature so I figured I would post here.

Does anyone know what's going on with Magnus Colossus? RCDB lists it as SBNO since 2015 and it is not referenced anywhere on the Terra Mitica website. It is shown on the map though, but with no name, just a caricature of the coaster. We're going to be in Spain and July and were thinking about stopping by the park for a couple hours.

You really thought that since there was no Terra Mitica thread it was a good idea to reply something totally unrelated in the "18 year old killed on Inferno" thread?!?!?

Here's an idea: Start a new thread....

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.thumb.jpg.41e39e65d265345bb63a2e5215e0b6d9.jpg

• 1 month later...