TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England PTR

With an extra weekend of operation it made things easier to work in a trip to Six Flags New England (SFNE). Weather projection had clear skies, cold temperatures starting in the 50’s and dropping close to freezing come nightfall with no snow or rain in the forecast. I was off to the park with my brothers and sisters-in-law. For those who know me best I will pause to let you look out your window for flying pigs.

So after a seven year hiatus from visiting the park on a normal operating day, I was finally returning. Before we went we hit a local Golden Corral to have lunch. As we arrived at the park the parking lot was surprisingly empty. The crowds in the park were equally low. I waited at the ticket both to find out I only needed to present the bring-a-friend e-mail pass to the ticket booths. The outside of the park seemed a bit under themed for the Fright fest event but the note worthy displays are all inside.

I always liked the transformation of Main Street into the graveyard. There were a few basic animatronics set up here and there that are set off by motion sensors. For the most part this section is the same as when I hit Fright Fest in 2004, but the park looked nice and it was time to hit rides.

It might surprise you to hear that my first ride was not on Bizarro, but on the Six Flags Express, formerly Thomas the Train. This was a new credit for me and I figured I’d hit it before heading further into the park. In fact out of my first 5 rides, 3 of them the park considers kiddie rides. After hitting Thunderbolt and Bizarro, we hit Kidzopolis. The Krazy Cars (formerly) Big Red Cars moved well and were roomy. I think it would make a great dark ride system, but overall seemed a bit of a pointless attraction with Route 66 antique cars next to it. This ride was also a walk on while Route 66 had a solid line. We also tried the ZoomJets (formerly Big Red Planes) which was an ok attraction, but it had horrible movement. It was slow to lift or drop using the control button. There is no bar like you found in the old plane rides

Ride Count

1x: Six Flags Express, Thunderbolt, Krazy Cars, Zoom Jets , Voodoo Vortex (Kontiki), Terror Twist (Tea Cups), Mind Eraser, Balloon Race, Zombie Coaster (Pandemonium), Cyclone, Carousel, Buzzsaw, and Crime Wave. 2x Batman Dark Night and 9x Bizzaro.

The rides were operating ok for the most part. Coasters nearly all had a noticeable shake, Bizarro and Mind Eraser having the worst. The Cyclone ran reasonably good on the newly tracked section but shook through the remaining sections. Thunderbolt was impressive and Batman was smooth but I noticed the trim brake was hitting harder then I last remembered. The Zero G roll was a bit lacking but the interlocking corkscrews were smoother. Flats ran well but I didn’t bother riding Scrambler and Joker simply because they were being operated so slowly, they weren’t worth even a cycle wait. I also skipped Poison Ivy which was producing a horrid roar as the train operated. I have never heard a Zierer make so much noise. The flat I opted to ride ran well and were fun

Fright Fest This year offers 3 Haunted houses; Midnight Mansion, Wicked Woods, and Total Darkness. I had intended on hitting the haunts when I went and I knew they were an upcharge. I found out after entering that without a season pass it was $20 dollars for 3 haunts. That’s a bit much for a dark haunt and 2 longstanding short haunts. I later heard more than a few complaints about how horrible the haunts were so I think I made the right choice.

In all it was a good day. They really need to work on their flat selection. The park is operating better than many of my trips in 2005, but the park as a whole was much better then. With Any luck it won’t be another 7 years until I visit during the main season again.

Read The unabridged report and check out the 54 image photo album:

http://photos.newwhalom.com/Trip%20Reports/Six_Flags/Frightfest2013/Photo%20Trip%20report.html

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like that picture of the entrance to Bizarro. It's nice that SFNE decided to open into November this year. I wish more parks in the Northeast would try that (besides the ones that run holiday events later in the month and December with no coasters running).

Fright Fest This year offers 3 Haunted houses; Midnight Mansion, Wicked Woods, and Total Darkness. I had intended on hitting the haunts when I went and I knew they were an upcharge. I found out after entering that without a season pass it was $20 dollars for 3 haunts. That’s a bit much for a dark haunt and 2 longstanding short haunts. I later heard more than a few complaints about how horrible the haunts were so I think I made the right choice. ]

No surprise there. I have yet to see Six Flags pull off a decent haunted house.

I did all 3 haunts at SFNE and thought they were all pretty bad. Especially Total Darkness since they have rope lights showing you where to go (and making it not "total darkness") and these allow you to see all of the actors since they didn't give them any places to hide since they figured it was dark enough that you wouldn't see them.

• 2 weeks later...
I like that picture of the entrance to Bizarro. It's nice that SFNE decided to open into November this year. I wish more parks in the Northeast would try that (besides the ones that run holiday events later in the month and December with no coasters running).

It was nice having that extra week. With my birthday in October the month is just nuts with inspection and registration any car repairs. hard to work in a car trip with so much money goign out. that extra week was a godsend.

Thing to look at with parks is while your hoping for Dec hours most New England's parks Donalt even open past Columbus day weekend in October. So they would need to open for the remainder of the month to keep going.

Fright Fest This year offers 3 Haunted houses; Midnight Mansion, Wicked Woods, and Total Darkness. I had intended on hitting the haunts when I went and I knew they were an upcharge. I found out after entering that without a season pass it was $20 dollars for 3 haunts. That’s a bit much for a dark haunt and 2 longstanding short haunts. I later heard more than a few complaints about how horrible the haunts were so I think I made the right choice. ]

No surprise there. I have yet to see Six Flags pull off a decent haunted house.

There were a few back in the early 2000's that were good Nightmare Island, Brutal planet, Terror vission come to mind. The Forest walk was also much longer back then. TGE's main haunted house is very good and I have hear good things about their new one.

I did all 3 haunts at SFNE and thought they were all pretty bad. Especially Total Darkness since they have rope lights showing you where to go (and making it not "total darkness") and these allow you to see all of the actors since they didn't give them any places to hide since they figured it was dark enough that you wouldn't see them.

That's horrible. I can see a party light or laser something the make things bright and dark again. Canobie a Dark haunt a few years ago that was very good but the Dark maze at Haunted acres is likely the best dark house in NE from what I have experiences.