TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TR: SpaceX Dragon Launch & Atlantis Space Shuttle Exhibit

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm definitely going to have to get up there again and check it out once the new exhibit opens. I haven't been up to the Kennedy Space Center since my 9th birthday. I actually picked it as the place I wanted to go for my birthday. I can't believe it's been so long since I've visited.

I gotta be honest, I've been a full day late just getting around the country due to mechanical problems on airplanes, so for this thing to blast off into the sky and make it the freaking SPACE STATION a day late, is it really THAT big of a deal?

Actually it can be! Getting the orbits to synchronize and bring the Dragon and the ISS near each other is very difficult and relies on precise timing, if you can't get it to work until too late, you may have to wait a matter of hours or days (which may not always be an option.) for the two to be in the correct position in order for a rendezvous burn to be possible. It really doesn't seem like it should be that hard, but when you learn about orbital mechanics, you find that it's nowhere near as simple as "point at the space station and fire your rocket."

I gotta be honest, I've been a full day late just getting around the country due to mechanical problems on airplanes, so for this thing to blast off into the sky and make it the freaking SPACE STATION a day late, is it really THAT big of a deal?

Actually it can be! Getting the orbits to synchronize and bring the Dragon and the ISS near each other is very difficult and relies on precise timing, if you can't get it to work until too late, you may have to wait a matter of hours or days (which may not always be an option.) for the two to be in the correct position in order for a rendezvous burn to be possible. It really doesn't seem like it should be that hard, but when you learn about orbital mechanics, you find that it's nowhere near as simple as "point at the space station and fire your rocket."

I was honestly mostly joking and it was really more of a rhetorical question.