TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

News: PETA Files Suit Against SeaWorld

I'm really not sure what PETA is out for here. It's not like all the orcas in Sea World can be just thrown back into the wild Free Willy-style. The orcas they're claming to defend would most likely die shortly after being released.

And the Most Important Question:

How Many Animals have been born in Captivity at SeaWorld and released back to the wild?

Remember the whale from Free Willy? His name was Keiko and if I remember correctly he was captive-born. After the movie came out, there was this HUGE movement to free him. They gradually moved him to an ocean holding pen and taught him to fish and then released him to the wild. After spending probably millions of dollars to "untrain" this whale to go back into the wild, they set him free into the ocean and he wouldn't leave. He hung around the fishing harbor and let the fishermen pet him and feed him until he died within a year, I think from starvation. It was a horrible fail.

However, there have been wild whales that beached or got injured in some way that Seaworld nursed back to health and released without a hitch. I remember one at San Diego Seaworld named JJ and she was a young gray whale.

I don't understand if they're trying to get the whales freed, prevent the parks from obtaining any new wild orcas (which I think is illegal now anyway) or just trying to get money from Seaworld. It just sounds so stupid.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the Most Important Question:

How Many Animals have been born in Captivity at SeaWorld and released back to the wild?

Almost none. The animals quickly build their behaviors around their environment. A dolphin in a tank eating dead fish from a trainer will behave much differently than a wild dolphin who will swim several miles a day chasing after live prey.

And as RAWKIN said, the animals that are captive-bred and released into the wild die within a very short time. They just couldn't adapt to a totally different life (works on the corrolary as well; of the dolphins captured from the wild, 53% will die within 90 days).