TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

PHOTO TR: Cedarpoint opening day 2011

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For thrill seekers, this park still has all the great rides, most of the best, but for families it is not so great. There is not much for the in betweeners. If you don't want the kiddy rides, or the thrill rides, not much left in between. The kiddy rides are very babyish in my opinion. My 6 year old wanted nothing to do with most of them. Luckily she was tall enough for the bigger rides. Shes not a thrill seeker though, so that limited us to smaller coasters (and the paddle boat 3 times LOL Her favorite of everything

I will admit that they could use a few more flat/family rides, but they have a heck of a lot more than Great Adventure, Magic Mountain and some of the other bigger parks I have been too. If you've never been to those parks and are looking for smaller thrills, you're going to be severely disappointed. Actually, I think they have a pretty decent selection:

* Tilt A Whirl

* Scrambler

* Matterhorn

* Troika

* Calypso

* Cedar Creek Mine Ride

* Wave Swinger (but it was down this weekend)

* Monster

* Witches Wheel

* Ocean Motion

* Himalaya

* Antique and Cadillac Cars

* Giant Wheel

* Train Ride

* Cedar Downs

* Mine Ride

* Thunder Canyon (not yet open)

* Shoot The Rapids

For thrill seekers, this park still has all the great rides, most of the best, but for families it is not so great. There is not much for the in betweeners. If you don't want the kiddy rides, or the thrill rides, not much left in between. The kiddy rides are very babyish in my opinion. My 6 year old wanted nothing to do with most of them. Luckily she was tall enough for the bigger rides. Shes not a thrill seeker though, so that limited us to smaller coasters (and the paddle boat 3 times LOL Her favorite of everything

I will admit that they could use a few more flat/family rides, but they have a heck of a lot more than Great Adventure, Magic Mountain and some of the other bigger parks I have been too. If you've never been to those parks and are looking for smaller thrills, you're going to be severely disappointed. Actually, I think they have a pretty decent selection:

* Tilt A Whirl

* Scrambler

* Matterhorn

* Troika

* Calypso

* Cedar Creek Mine Ride

* Wave Swinger (but it was down this weekend)

* Monster

* Witches Wheel

* Ocean Motion

* Himalaya

* Antique and Cadillac Cars

* Giant Wheel

* Train Ride

* Cedar Downs

* Mine Ride

* Thunder Canyon (not yet open)

* Shoot The Rapids

They have a decent collection, but the problem is the height requirements.

You would have to take out these rides from your list to fall into the "family" category.

Mine ride(listed twice)

cedar downs

witches wheel

wave swinger

All of these rides require the rider to be 48" or taller to ride.

I classify a family ride as something mom,dad, and jr can ride together. Usually they have low height requirement like somewhere in the 42" range or lower.

A perfect example would be a dark ride.

Any particular reason for posting a picture of the Muslim mother twice? Once with the comment 'uhhh?" Just wondering what is so 'uhhh' about other cultures.

How about degrading to women in a country that supports freedom for all. I was at my local waterpark today and two women in these things had them on in the Wave Pool. I could not understand what their husbands (owners) where saying. However, it sure as hell looked like they where getting permission to go in and getting yelled at to get out when the husbands thought they had enough. They moved out of the water quickly too. Screw culture, that is just plan wrong in this country. I have a daughter and the thoughts of her ever having to go through that would make me drop that "culture" quickly.....

Not to turn this thread into something else, but you brought it up after many pages....

I have a question...when did Demon Drop get taken out? Not that I wanted to ride it...I always called it the instant headache maker because you whacked your head so hard on it, you couldn't wlak away without one. LOL! I just noticed it was gone this trip, and I think it's been 2 years since we were last there.

Demon Drop was removed prior to last season, which left the area where it stood completely vacant until they moved Ocean Motion into its spot this past offseason to make room for Windseeker.

Just visited yesterday... Awesome day beyond the following few things:

Windseeker was still not open (expected), however they were lifting the carriage up and down the structure all day.

Maxair was still down, with only one time I saw anything resembling work being done to it... Love the ride, sad that it wasn't working yet.

Maverick and TTD were not up more than an hour at a time... TTD closed for the day around 3pm, never did get a ride.

Other than it being pretty hot yesterday with no water rides open other than Shoot the Rapids, the crowds were rather minimal, allowing 5 rides on Millennium Force with no waits exceeding 15 minutes for it (3 walk-ons at the end of the day). The longest wait of the day was Maverick at about 40minutes.

^ Probably has to do with a combination of the weather and staffing. The weather has been cool and wet, thus not many people would ride it this early in the season. They most likely have also not received the bulk of their staff from colleges yet. Being seasonal, they rely heavy on that crowd for full operations.

I believe finals at most colleges are this week or next. After that it should be full staff and operations, where the rides are able to operate. Who knows what is going on with Huss on MaxAir and Mondial on Windseeker though.

Could be...

I remember that it was open last year on opening day. I believe that thunder canyon opens up this upcoming holiday weekend.

If windseeker ends up opening this weekend, I plan on swinging by the park.

They have a decent collection, but the problem is the height requirements.

You would have to take out these rides from your list to fall into the "family" category.

Mine ride(listed twice)

cedar downs

witches wheel

wave swinger

All of these rides require the rider to be 48" or taller to ride.

I classify a family ride as something mom,dad, and jr can ride together. Usually they have low height requirement like somewhere in the 42" range or lower.

A perfect example would be a dark ride.

Speaking of dark ride, I forgot about Disaster Transport. There was a mother and her two small daughters that couldn't have been more than six or seven and one of the little girls told Mom: "That was kinda scary, Mom..I don't think I'll ride that again till I'm 16!"

Priceless some of the things the young one's say!