TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Oktoberfest 2010 Preview

MaBi

I will be at Oktoberfest on Sept 28. Thanks for posting the pics to give me a preview of what to expect.

I'll be there as part of a group tour, but we are doing Oktoberfest on Tuesday. I'll check the hours of operation for Monday, if the tour program for the day ends sufficiently early, hopping a train over for a night before preview might be a good idea.

For those of us (me) unaccustomed to the German way of fairs - from what I gather there is a sperate ticket booth for each ride, and you pay in cash. Last I heard, I can expt around 5 Euro per ride, is that still a good estimation? Any pointers, like protocol, etiquette, that kind of thing when it comes to the rides? I have several of the iKirmes DVD's and I've noted they usually don't have fencing around their rides, but I assume there is some sort of established queeue for who is in the next group.

Also planning on hitting a beer tent or two. We have a Hoffbrauhaus in our city, and asof last month the Mass of beer there was $7.75 (+ tip), just as a point of price comparison, though that wasn't at a big fair which is sure to raise the price higher.

Hey! These 2 videos may help answer any questions you have about Oktoberfest. If not, feel free to ask them again here!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8eRRLjM_1c

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beer prices at the different locations at Oktoberfest 2010

Burtscher, Feisinger Max und Renate, Wurstimbiss 8,30 Euro

Able, Kalbskuchl 8,40 Euro

Ammer, Sepp Schmidbauer, Hendlbraterei 8,40 Euro

Heinz Heilmaier, Hendlbraterei 8,40 Euro

Hochreiter, Haxnbraterei 8,40 Euro

Poschner, Familie Luff, Hendlbraterei 8,40 Euro

Zum Schichtl, Manfred Schauer 8,50 Euro

Wildmoser, Hühner- und Entenbraterei, Festzelt 8,50 Euro

Heimer, Helmut Schmid, Enten- und Hühnerbraterei 8,60 Euro

Hochreiter, Zur Bratwurst (früheres Bratwurst Glöckl) 8,60 Euro

Münchner Knödelei, Familie Oberndorfer 8,60 Euro

Wildstuben, Renoldi, Trudi 8,60 Euro

Augustiner-Festhalle, Manfred Vollmer 8,70 Euro

Glöckle, Hanns Werner Glöckle , Wurstimbiss 8,70 Euro

Zum Stiftl (ehem. Wienerwald), Festzelt 8,70 Euro

Armbrustschützen-Festhalle, Familie Inselkammer 8,75 Euro

Spatenbräu-Festhalle, Familie Haberl, Ochsenbraterei 8,75 Euro

Bräurosl-Festhalle, Renate und Georg Heide 8,80 Euro

Hacker-Festhalle, Toni Roiderer 8,80 Euro

Hofbräuhaus-Festhalle, Günter Steinberg 8,80 Euro

Käferschänke, Michael Käfer, Festzelt 8,80 Euro

Hippodrom, Josef Krätz, Festzelt 8,80 Euro

Paulaner-Festhalle, Peter Pongratz, Winzerer Fähndl 8,80 Euro

Schottenhamel-Festhalle, Peter und Christian Schottenhamel 8,80 Euro

Schützen-Festhalle, Eduard und Claudia Reinbold 8,80 Euro

Vinzenz Murr Festzelt, Evi und Rudolf Brandl 8,80 Euro

Löwenbräu-Festhalle, Ludwig Hagn und Stephanie Spendler 8,85 Euro

Fischer Vroni, Karl Winter, Festzelt 8,90 Euro

Feisingers Kas & Weinstubn, Max und Rosemarie, (1,0 l Weissbier) 13,80 Euro

Weinzelt, Roland, Doris und Stephan Kuffler, (1,0 l Weissbier) 13,80 Euro

This is the actual Oktoberfest 2010 Map

You can see the big tents, the ATM locations (€ sign), the first aid stations (+ sign) and the ways to the metro stations.

The free places are filled with rides.

The historic Oktoberfest starts one day earlier.

Oktoberfest2010.thumb.jpg.e39d357e1b0676f47a112b9984d862df.jpg

I added the four big coasters in red

Thanks for all your help.

I got the packet from the tour agent last night. Apparently I am staying at the Regent Hotel which according to the hotel's website is "within 10 minutes walk of Oktoberfest" I also see the hotel has a U station nearby, offering at least two solid options.

I'm thinking the Monday night preview is looking more and more likely.

Looking forward to this. Writing to you from Munchen's sister city in America - Cincinnati.

This weekend I'll be visitng our own Oktoberfest on Sunday.

Hi everyone,

I am back from my first Oktoberfest visit this year.

This are the ride prices for some major rides.

Olympia Looping 7,00 Euro (

)

Alpinabahn 6,00 Euro (

)

Höllenblitz 6,00 Euro (

)

Wilde Maus 4,00 Euro (

)

Rocket 7,00 Euro (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4HVcvKGFX8)

Cyber Space 7,00 Euro (

)

Flic Fly 6,00 Euro (

)

Top Spin 4,00 Euro (

)

Fahrt zu Hölle 4,00 Euro (

)

Schocker 4,50 Euro (http://www.ganz-muenchen.de/oktoberfest/fahrgeschaefte/modern/schocker/beschreibung.html)

Geiserschloss 4,50 Euro (

)

Eckl die Geisterbahn 3,50 Euro (

)

Star Flyer 4,00 Euro (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGVpSq9iaos&feature=fvw)

Schichtel Show 4,00 Euro (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFHr0sH0Gy8)

Techno Power 4,00 Euro (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh1DLny0tMk&feature=related)

Parkour 3,50 Euro (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2zb-mRu1hY&feature=related)

Amazonas 3,50 Euro

Edited by MaBi

Mabi,

Your contributions to this tread are greatly appreciated.

As I mentioned, I'm from Cincinnati, OH, USA - which is in a sister city arrangement with Munchen. We had our Oktoberfest event this weekend. Not much after seeing photos of yours, but for what its worth, here are the photos from ours just presented in a spirit of international sharing. Oktoberfest Zinzinnati 2010

As you can see, we only have about 6 rides, none of which compare to yours, our bier 'tent's are simple white canvas tents. Roast chcicken is almost nowhere to be seen, but if you like brats, strudel, pretzels, cream puffs, and bier, they have you covered.

Interestingly, they do have a Oktoberfest Munchen gift tent - they have this years stein for $55USD.

Also for comparison sake - the Spaten Optimators I had in the Spaten tent tonight were $7USD for 1/2 mass. (plus tip of course)

David "Headed your way in a week" Bowers

@MaBi: First of all, thank you for your pics from the Munich "Wiesn", compatriot MaBi!;)

[...] But what I fear is, this coaster might be bought by some US company who might scr*w it up forever. And I'd really be sad to see that happen. Has anyone ever heard anything about the faith of this marvel ? If ONLY My homepark could buy it (and maintain it properly), it would definitely put it on the map ! Please let this coaster stay in Europe (preferably close to me lol) and if it really has to go overseas, I pray so it goes to a park which really DESERVES it and will take care of this beauty

Sorry for my long Offtopic now: So true...yes. It was a shame, what Arrow did with the fantastic and spectacular former portable 4er Looping-Carnival-Coaster "Thriller" from showman Oscar Bruch Sr. ---> "Zonga" @ SFMW (now SFDK) in Vallejo.

The modification - or rather - the reduction of the first drop was more than a shame and of course the new (uggly) trains as well !!

OMG [...]

I´ don´t know exactly, if the rumors that the "Olympia Looping" from showman Rudolf Barth Sr. will have its last season 2010 are true...; last rumor what i heared is, that the Olympia Looping will start his new season 2011 on the "Hamburger (Frühlings/Spring) Dom" but don´t know if it is a fact...!

But i could very good imagine, that if his most and big competitor Oscar Bruch will get some new big portable Loopcoaster maybe the next time - well...Rudolf Barth will get also something new and very soon and want´s to sell his "Olympia Looping"... but it´s only my opinion ... no more.

You have to imagine, that only the Non-Loop-Coaster "Alpina Bahn" in Düsseldorf sucks for a big and famous Carnival like the "Düsseldorfer Rheinkirmes" the next years. And: the other two big coasters like "Olympia Looping" (showman Rudolf Barth Sr.) or the Douple Loop "Teststrecke" (showman Steiger OHG) are not welcomed (and was never there in history, and will never be in Düsseldorf as so long as Oscar Bruch has a big coaster like his last one - its "Alpina Bahn") in Düsseldorf because of the familiy Oscar Bruch, who is a so called iconic Showman-Family from Düsseldorf...you know i mean?!:) The Family Bruch has its roots in Düsseldorf and has big influence to this city and the "Schützenverein" in Düsseldorf as well. Believe me, i can tell you that.

So, Oscar Bruch has to bring something new portable coaster - and to my opinion - very soon for Düsseldorf (!)...

Bobbejaanland would make good use of it too. (I even remember a "recreation" of the Olympia Looping had been considered before they decided to invest in their Typhoon Eurofighter) That would have been an iconic replacement to the already iconic looping star !

That´s very interesting for me as a 100 percent Schwarzkopf-Fan, what you have heared! Have you something more infos about that "rumor" of the consideration of a "recreation" of the Olympia Looping @ Bobbejaanland?

Would it have been a "1:1 - Recreation" of the Olympia Looping or a little bit modified creation of the original Olympia Looping from showman Rudolf Barth, if the Bobbejaanland had decided for such a classic Schwarzkopf Loopcoaster? Do you know more details of this, Dragon Khan?

That what i heared for about four years, was that there was some consultations with Wieland Schwarzkopf but they found no resolution (and with the dutch manufacturer Vekoma about a Flying Coaster also...; here an article (25.10.2006) unfortunately only in german language from Coastersandmore.de Typhoon - Wie entsteht eine Achterbahn); i guess because such a compact Multi-Loop-Coaster allá Schwarzkopf would be very very expansive (perhaps too expansive for the Bobbejaanland...), so... but i don´t know exactly the reason why they decided finally for a Gerstlauer "Euro-Fighter"-Coaster...ya...ok, one reason i could imagine: a Euro Fighter is much more cheaper than a compact coaster (for example Olympia Looping) in the style of Schwarzkopf!

So for sure...yes, it will be very exciting where the Olympia Looping will go, if he would sold...

BTW: As the most knows yet for 2011, there is a Maurer Söhne Spinning Coaster for the Bobbejaanland in planning; so...would there be much more place for a Coaster like the Olympia Looping as well in this belgium park, Dragon Khan?

Regards from Germany

Thri!!er

P.S: And sorry for my not so well English...

I think we will not see a new large coaster traveling germany anytime soon. It's just too expensive.

The steel price, rent for the very large spaces at the fairs, transportation, electricity, maintenance ... you name it.

No family or showman can afford such an investment these days with people holding their money back and not spending that much at the funfairs anymore. (except for oktoberfest though)

Remember: when Olympia looping was purchased in 1989 there weren't any large coaster at european amusement parks.

That wasn't much different when Eurostar came in in 1995. If you wanted to ride a good coaster, you had to visit a fair.

Today people just take one or twoday trips to amusement parks.

That's why the smaller Laser was bought from Dorney, a brand new big rollercoaster just doesn't make sense right now in my opinion.

But I hope I am totally wrong!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Maßi for all the help.

I really enjoyed the Oktoberfest. I was there on Monday and Tuesday. Monday was rides day, and the ride prices were delightfully cheaper than what was lited above. Got credits on Olympia Looping, Alpina, Hollenblitz, the racing wild maus, and then I dia a CreHo ride on Fire and Ice. Rode numerous rides including High Energy, Flip Fly, Rocket, Rotor, Break Dance, Magic, Techno Power, Top Scan, Star Flyer.

On Tuesday i was a short meeting with thee tour group ß but we got into the Spaten tent, so I enjoyed some Spaten and Brezels there, then went to the actual Hoffbrauhaus for dinner. And there, the tour package included the bier!

More details later, and even photos if I feel likie uploading them, then again how can I improve on Robb's thread

Just like the TPR trip, I also saw Neuswanstein castle.

Im currently sitting in Salzburg Austria on a hotel courtesz computer, so my time is limited.

Olympia Looping is incredibly smooth, Alpina was rougher! Flat rides running insane programs.

Till later..