TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SAT vs ACT

Foxy Roxy

So earlier this year I took my SATs, I got a 1530 combined score and a 6 on the Essay. I'm not really happy with these scores and I will have to retest in order to get into the college I want to get into. However, when I was comparing my scores to those listed on College Board and I thought maybe I should take the ACT and see if I could use that score to get in. I asked on my clan's forum and someone said that he had better luck with his ACT. He got a 1350 on his SAT and a 31 on his ACT. I also asked a few friends and even they had lower SAT scores than what Drexel requires but got right in the middle for the ACT score.

So I'm asking here, if anyone has any experience with either the ACT or can compare their experience with both, and help me out. It'd be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: If it's any help, I'd like to go to Drexel for either Medical Engineering or Nursing.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It varies by institution. Looks like Drexel requires either one, and you're at the bottom of their average student pool. Study up on the math, if you're going for engineering or nursing, there is no reason you shouldn't get a 700+ on your math portion. Its not so much about knowing math (its really very basic math), but being familiar with the questions they ask

If you're thinking that taking one or the other may help you, you may have your goals set a bit too high. If Drexel doesn't work out, I hear South Florida is a good option

Take the test again!

I took the SAT's at least twice and they took my best score of each section.

I assume they still do the same, but there is also an additional section and a higher possible score than when I took them.

(damn I feel old)

I never took the SAT... Most colleges do not really care so much about the SAT as they do the ACT (at least when I applied). The two colleges I applied for (one being highly selective, private, and one of the best in the country) was Case Western Reserve University and the other Cleveland State. I was accepted into based on my ACT and GPA only. But I chose my other option, Cleveland State University just because honestly, the people at the other college drove me nuts. I can't stand people with "smart egos" all around me... Sounds silly, but it is true. I would rather go to school with normal people. The education is just as good.

Those tests were terrible though. I retook the ACT once and improved quite a bit the second time... People went nuts taking them so many times though (4+).

the people at the other college drove me nuts. I can't stand people with "smart egos" all around me... Sounds silly, but it is true. I would rather go to school with normal people. The education is just as good.

I found this at one University I applied to and it majorly put me off. For example, the PhD student who was supervising the open day I went to put me down because I didn't go to a private High School! The whole day was pretty much like this, the fake posh accents and constant talk "I'm the smartest person in my School" got old very quickly.

When I was applying for College the SAT is what everybody was looking for. At the time I took it I didn't really have plans to go to college (friends talked me into it) and I ended up getting a 1000 (out of 1600 at the time) on the test. It was an exceptionally lackluster effort to say the least. The good news about this? Because I did so poor on the SAT and the fact that my GPA was merely average forced me to spend two years at community college. That really gave me time to get everything together and get serious about school. Not saying it's an option for you, but for some people it really is the best path.

Take the test again!

I took the SAT's at least twice and they took my best score of each section.

I assume they still do the same, but there is also an additional section and a higher possible score than when I took them.

(damn I feel old)

It is the same way. So if the first time you got a 540, 710, 650 and the second time you got a 640, 640, 700, the score your colleges would look at would be 640, 710, 700. If you aren't applying early decision, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to take the SAT again as well as the ACT once.

Well I had a friend explain the process to me. The scores listed on College Board are all the middle 50% so 25% did better and 25% did worse. I happened to be at the top of the 25% who did worse. So she explained that I could take the ACTs and try applying once for early registration if I get a high enough mark on my ACTs. Then retaking the SATs in October or November, reapplying in December with those marks if I should get denied.

Then there is the option of going to a community college for 2 years get credits, then again reapply.

The education is just as good.

yeah. I mean, physics is physics anywhere, for example - it doesn't change. But there is something to be said about how rigorous an institution can be compared to others. Of course, that will only help land you a first job, and your experience counts more from there on. I'd also wager that Case has a pretty solid network of successful graduates that could really help landing a job, since knowing people can often provide a better path.

The one thing I'd have the most difficulty with is the absurd cost of tuition at some private schools vs a local state school. I'm really not sure I'd want to start out adult life with a $100k+ debt - that's a lot of money that could be used for a house/car/beer/etc