TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What do you think about Dollywood's 3D Motion Theater?

What do you think about Dollywood's 3D Motion Theater?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about Dollywood's 3D Motion Theater?

• I prefer the Thunder Road movie
    • I prefer the Smokey Mountain Adventure movie
    • I don't care - I don't like 3D Movie Simulators

As most of you know, Dollywood has brought back the Thunder Road film for the 2008 season. This film replaced the Smokey Mountain Wilderness Adventure that had been operating since 2002.

I bring this discussion forth because I visited the park over Spring Break and experienced Thunder Road for the first time. OWWW! I was not expecting what this ride had to offer. All I remember is a car chase, my sore back, and an EXTREME wedgy when it was all over!

Now, I have ridden SMWA, and thought it was somewhat boring, but this was just too much to handle.

So what do you all think?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Thunder Road better than Wilderness Adventure. I actually loved it when it first premiered in 1996, but at that time I didn't know any better.

My real opinion is that the park should get rid of the motion theatre entirely. The building is ugly, the ride as a whole just doesn't mesh well with the rest of the park. I don't think many people even ride it anymore since it is tucked in that corner off the main walkway. Simulators were just a fad anyway.

That said, I've enjoyed Dollywood's two films more than any of the ones the ex-Paramount Parks use to run (Days of Thunder, James Bond, 7th Portal, etc). Dollywood's seats are the problem.

I don't necessarily think the whole ride/building should be removed. If it is, the whole Adventures in Imagination section needs to go. They just don't fit in with the rest of the park...

Plus, I think if the right film is chosen, 3D theaters can make great rides!

I personally like the Smokey Mountain Wilderness Adventure more than Thunder Road. I say that because I liked Dolly's part in the ride and it was more humorous to me. But that's not to say that I don't like Thunder Road, because that is still a good attraction.

If it is, the whole Adventures in Imagination section needs to go. They just don't fit in with the rest of the park...

Not really. The Dolly Museum and that shop they've got there (whatever they are calling it this season) can stay. The motion theatre building is just too dominating over the entrance area. Just get rid of that and plant some trees there, so it will look like it did before '96.

Nowadays I don't care too much for simulators, but I definitely preferred Thunder Road to SMWA if I had to choose between the two. Given I was only 10 when TR premiered, so maybe my young, resilient body could take the rougher ride better then than it could today, but even though I don't remember much of the SMWA (we didn't go to Dollywood nearly as often then as we did when I was younger), I do remember being very disappointed with it when it first opened.

• 2 weeks later...