TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kemah Boardwalk and Bullet Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was out there for a little bit this evening and I saw one of the longest lines I have seen yet. Also I believe they might have been only running one train. The time in between rides seemed unusually long. The guy at the daiquiri booth said they had problems earlier in the day with one of the brakes. But this was the daiquiri stand guy so.... who knows. I wasn't feeling to inquisitive, I decide just to watch and not ride. Coasterphotos might be able to confirm the one train operation. I'll go back later during the week when it hopefully rains and I'm the only one there and I have it all to myself.

What you heard from the daiquiri stand guy was correct. I had been out there earlier in the day and left when the line reached about a 15 minute wait to go take care of some things. I returned around 8pm and got one ride at night with about a 40 minute wait and one train operation. Even with 2 trains I imagine the wait would have been around 30 minutes. Easily the busiest night since the ride opened. Two train operation on this ride doesn't speed up things a lot since a train can't be dispatched from the station until the other one returns. But then again, the ride is so quick that it would be almost impossible to get a train out before the other one came back anyways.

Took a few photos but got tired of all the questions and stupid comments from people walking by so I left around 10.

DSC_7470-TPR.thumb.jpg.ae23218009695a4b1318e9cc73ccedff.jpg

Train going down the first drop at night.

Also I believe they might have been only running one train. The time in between rides seemed unusually long. The guy at the daiquiri booth said they had problems earlier in the day with one of the brakes.

texcoaster was emailing me and he said he was on the train with a reporter when it got stuck on the brakes. They moved it to the maintenance shed. That's why it was only running one train.

So is it as brutal as Voyage can be? Sounds like all positive reveiws though!

Lord, no. Voyage remains the most brutal coaster I've ever loved. I've been on more brutal ones, but I hated those. Bullet is nowhere NEAR as rough as Voyage, not even in the back seat.

Keep in mind, however, that Bullet hasn't even broken in good yet. Whether or not it becomes brutal will have to be seen over time. It certainly has the potential to be a nasty-rough ride, but I think that Kemah is proud of their baby and will keep it well maintained.

Airtime? Did someone say airtime?

There is a wicked little "pop" (noted in the Chronicle article) on the east side of the ride. Notice the picture below. Coasterphotos pointed it out to me, and when we had to be walked out of the car on the catwalk today (mech probs shut it down for awhile) I was able to get a pic with the phone.

See the arrows? Notice how there is NO STRIPE where the road wheels go between the arrows on the main rail? It's all upstops there, baby! The road wheels have NEVER EVEN TOUCHED that part of the track. Sweet.

IMG_0089.thumb.jpg.43bc07c0953b50b6792ff4709cfd1b77.jpg

We got stuck on the brake run with Texcoaster and the reporter they had to unload us from there. There was a small problem with one of the wheels which was apparently quickly fixed but they went ahead and ran it with one train the rest of the night. It should be back to two trains tomorrow. The longest line was 45 minutes which stretched about 20 feet from the entrance. For the most part it was around 30-35 minutes after the re-opening with one train. Sunday should have been the busiest night of the weekend so lines shouldn't be as long tomorrow. While running two trains on this ride doesn't save a lot of time, it does cut down a few minutes on the line and may allow for 1-2 extra rides an hour when it is busy.

I had a remarkable ride in seat 11L when a heavyset guy (bigger than me) sat alone in 12R it somehow made for some HUGE ejection on the big drop and the next two bumps. After 50 rides at this point it was unexpected and aside from the 'rain rides' was is my most favorite one yet! I love how this ride throws different things at you when you least expect it. It truly gets better the more you ride it. I'm currently on ride #62.

-GG

I guess this is why Landry's didn't notify the media and they were not out there on opening day. I can't believe how they like to make everything a controversy. I met about 10 residents out there when they were constructing and none of them had a problem. Granted they were not next door, it just seems odd that they wouldn't sell the house for 4x market value (which has increased by nth times due to the Boardwalk) and build a 'nice quiet house' somewhere nearby. It sounds like a personal grudge to me. They made this article sound like everyone in Kemah was mad.

Alas, at least Texcoaster was able to balance the article out. I'm glad they found him at least. I can't stand the media and refused to give them my name

-GG

Took a few photos but got tired of all the questions and stupid comments from people walking by so I left around 10.

That guy preaching on the amplified system standing on the milk crate was back??

Yep. He was there. There seemed to be a rather large foreign crowd there tonight.

Oh my, is THAT was that was about? I know this is a free country and people died for that guys right, but geez. Let's grow as a people a bit now.

-GG

I figured that as soon as the "Coaster Now Open" billboards went up, they'd be back out there for a follow-up on the almost entirely anti-coaster article they did on the neighbors back in July.

I was happy to talk to them and give them as many positives as I could.

I couldn't believe that the reporter put the bit in there about the Killions "being run off the porch due to the noise" especially when she sat right next to me on the coaster and we saw them sitting on their porch with the BBQ smoking away! Geez.

Oh, and for the record, the reporter had some "street cred"... she's a veteran of NYC and loves the Coney Cyclone.

She said that the Bullet is better, and she LOVED the back seat.

One thing to note about the neighbors...

They told the reporter that they were run off the porch by the noise, they couldn't carry on a conversation, and they wouldn't be able to BBQ.

Bullcrap. I watched them out there all day, sitting on the deck, BBQing, talking normally. They rarely even looked over when the Bullet went by.

I've taken video from their yard. It's amazingly quiet on that side due to the design of the coaster angling all the track AWAY from the house. All the noise generated by the riders is aimed back at the boardwalk and away from the house. The little whistle on the choo-choo train is MUCH louder than the coaster from there.

Oh, and while we're talking about making the coaster neighbor-friendly, they should be thankful that the designers made sure that all of the track that is next to the bay is low to the ground so their view is unobstructed. It would've been MUCH MUCH cooler for the Boardwalk to build the lift hill pointed at the bay. That would've given riders and incredible view as they went up, and would've faced a lot more of the ride action where folks could see it and want to ride. Instead, they put the lower track by the bay, forcing the riders to look at a parking lot with the water behind them.

I think they went out of their way to make it good for the neighborhood.

I just spoke with a girlfriend and she said that the ride last night was excellent. Her exact words were "oh my god that thing never slowed down". Now she is as big of a woodie freak as I am and I trust her opinion. She did say also that it wasnt an El Toro but it is one of her favorites, because we rode El Toro last year and we have never experienced anything like that before and that is what we compare all woodies to now. I am getting up now and putting on some clothes and driving down, will give my review this evening when I get back.

Yeah this coaster is awesome and so different from any other woodie that I have ridden. I think the fact that it is so compact is the reason why you feel the speed. Why do you guys think that lady who lives in the house next to it is saying bad things but then showing and acting another way when ya'll were riding with her etc? That just doesn't make sense. Is she wanting the media attention or do you think Chronicle is just twisting her words? Or is she just wanting more money? It would suck to live by the coaster year round. But what I have heard (if I am correct) is that they just bought the house knowing kemah was expanding and aren't living in the house year round. Any thoughts? Please correct me if I have my facts wrong.

Yeah this coaster is awesome and so different from any other woodie that I have ridden. I think the fact that it is so compact is the reason why you feel the speed. Why do you guys think that lady who lives in the house next to it is saying bad things but then showing and acting another way when ya'll were riding with her etc? That just doesn't make sense. Is she wanting the media attention or do you think Chronicle is just twisting her words? Or is she just wanting more money? It would suck to live by the coaster year round. But what I have heard (if I am correct) is that they just bought the house knowing kemah was expanding and aren't living in the house year round. Any thoughts? Please correct me if I have my facts wrong.
You move to any sort of business you should know better. IT'S NOT quiet out there before bullet, Boats racing and loud engines every few mins. PS: the people that live there are old anyway One guy was waving at us on the lift hill from the house across the street.

By the way, if you click "NEXT" beside the picture of the Bullet looming over the house, you'll see a pic of me in the front car, with Guru in the row behind me.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/5103258.html

You were mr 400 coasters?! We sat behind you on Sat morning several times, I was wearing black boombox shirt, with my cousin. Did anyone else feel the pain at the bottom of the lift hill? I thought i was gonna have my spine come out of the back of my head! I rode almost every seat there was! I'm going back!

One thing to note about the neighbors...

They told the reporter that they were run off the porch by the noise, they couldn't carry on a conversation, and they wouldn't be able to BBQ.

Bullcrap. I watched them out there all day, sitting on the deck, BBQing, talking normally. They rarely even looked over when the Bullet went by.

I've taken video from their yard. It's amazingly quiet on that side due to the design of the coaster angling all the track AWAY from the house. All the noise generated by the riders is aimed back at the boardwalk and away from the house. The little whistle on the choo-choo train is MUCH louder than the coaster from there.

Oh, and while we're talking about making the coaster neighbor-friendly, they should be thankful that the designers made sure that all of the track that is next to the bay is low to the ground so their view is unobstructed. It would've been MUCH MUCH cooler for the Boardwalk to build the lift hill pointed at the bay. That would've given riders and incredible view as they went up, and would've faced a lot more of the ride action where folks could see it and want to ride. Instead, they put the lower track by the bay, forcing the riders to look at a parking lot with the water behind them.

I think they went out of their way to make it good for the neighborhood.

I think you are being just as biased for the coaster as the homeowners are against it. To say this ride is "amazingly quiet" at that house is a load of shit. The folks in that house say the noise drives them in, you tell the paper the coaster is "top ten". A little hyperbole on both sides probably.

Perhaps the GG designed the ride for the sake of the homeowners, but until the president of that company tells me that, I'll never believe it.

-r