TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Big coastertrip May 2008

Groteslurf

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Thanks.

Meanwhile have found on a (p)ki fansite that KI opened on weekdays in the past year on Wednesday before memorial day. So that would mean KI will not be open the Monday we have in mind.

We might then consider flying in on Friday so that we can go to HW and SFKK on Saturday and KI on Sunday.

Anyway, previous years KI published next year's operating hours early November so we'll wait till then to decide.

I didn't consider there was a public holiday in the USA during our trip. Just to be sure : Memorial Day means everybody has a day off and full parks ?

Memorial Day weekend wasn't that bad for me this year. On Saturday, I went to Carowinds and it was crowded. But, Sunday was at Six Flags Over Georgia and Monday (the actual holiday) at Lake Winnie and Beech Bend were quite pleasant. No crowds to speak of, so that was a nice surprise.

Also, does anyone have any advice on motels/hotels when visiting Six Flags Great Adventure? That park seems to have nothing nearby.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
We've been there in May 2006 and i strongly suggest use a flash pass in SFGA, wich is expensive but this way we were able to ride all the coasters that day! Normal queue lines went up to 3 hours.

What day of the week were the lines 3 hours?

I was planning to go to Great Adventure during a week day. What are lines like during the week?

When your on the East Coast, the best days to hit the parks are Mon-Wed. Yes the Flass Pass is a good idea for SFGA. I highly recomend it as I've been going there for the last 6 years and it is well worth the pay. Be sure to ride Kingda Ka and El Toro early, because they aren't reliable.

A lunch tip, BRING your own! its like $12 for a slice of pizza and a drink!

• 4 weeks later...

Finally, we have ordered our flight.

Itenary is as follows now :

Fly in on Friday May 16 : Evansville 
A/ Holiday World, Saturday May 17
B/ SFKK, Saturday May 17 afternoon 
C/ Kings Island, Sunday May 18
D/Cedar Point, Mondy, Tuesday and Wednesday May 19, 20 + 21 
E/Kennywood : Thursday  May 22 
F/Hershey, Friday May 23 (if no softopenings of Pharenheit that day, we'll visit Hershey again the next morning before heading to G/) 
G/ Knoebels, Saturday May 24
H/Dorney, Sunday May 25 
I/ SFGA, Monday & Tuesday May 26 + 27 (at least on Monday with Goldbot) 
J/KD, Wednesday May 28 
K/BGE, Thursday May 29
L/ Six Flags America, May 30 

fly back from Washington DC on Friday evening May 30. 

Once we receive confirmation of our flights, we'll purchase our seasonpasses already (Sf at SFKK & CF at KI).

The next weeks I'll be figuring out which will be the best hotels to choose.

Thanks everybody who has given advice.

If anybody has some more advice, plse post.

I'd say call the parks first. If you explain to them your problem, then they might not have a problem with it. For some reason SF doesn't allow you to buy passes online unless you live within a certain amount miles from the park. You'll be able to buy a pass AT the parks for sure, but you might not be able to buy them online ahead of time. Either way, you have to have them processed at the park (unless they mail you last year's picture on a pass).

Good luck with your trip. I hope you have a ton of fun riding the coasters during the less crowded time of year.

Kings Island has just released their 2008 operating schedule.

Good thing we planned our visit to KI on a Sunday (as it is indeed closed on Monday that week)

Good luck with your trip. I hope you have a ton of fun riding the coasters during the less crowded time of year.

Thanks. The reason why we are going that early in the season is indeed because we hope to avoid heavy crowds.

I'd say call the parks first. If you explain to them your problem, then they might not have a problem with it. For some reason SF doesn't allow you to buy passes online unless you live within a certain amount miles from the park. You'll be able to buy a pass AT the parks for sure, but you might not be able to buy them online ahead of time. Either way, you have to have them processed at the park (unless they mail you last year's picture on a pass).

I called KI and SFKK today. Both ladies were very friendly and helpful.

KI however told me they are not able to sell season passes in advance to us The lady's manager told us 'You won’t pay that much more when they buy at one of the parks in the summer'. I mean, what can be the problem to sell us season passes in advance on line or in another way. Anyway, I hope it indeed won't cost that much more and that the parking pass will be inclusive.

SFKK promissed to keep me advised about when the actual season passes will arrive at SFKK. They will then contact us, arrange the purchase (at usd 49.95), and they will keep the passes available at the guest relations for us collecting the passes during our visit. Excellent !

• 5 weeks later...

Since we have planned 3 days at CP and probably (hopefully) crowds will be (very) light, I was thinking about making a 1 day side trip to Canada's Wonderland on Tuesday 5/20 or Wednesday 5/21.

Question 1 : Will Behemoth be open by then ? Did the park already announce when exactly in May Behemoth will open ?

Question 2 : The distance between CP and CW is approx 230 miles. Should we look for a low cost airline and fly from Cleveland to Toronto and back on 1 day ? Or should we go by car on Wednesday and drive to Kennywood afterwards ?

Which airlines should I look for on the net ?

If by car, which route should we take to avoid traffic jams ? Via Detroit or Buffalo ? Will we loose much time at the border ?

Thanks in advance.

KI however told me they are not able to sell season passes in advance to us The lady's manager told us 'You won’t pay that much more when they buy at one of the parks in the summer'. I mean, what can be the problem to sell us season passes in advance on line or in another way. Anyway, I hope it indeed won't cost that much more and that the parking pass will be inclusive.

Cedar Fair's computer systems are outdated and always cause all types of problems, this could be just another problem. This is the first year they are selling the a season pass that includes all CF properties for the same price at every park.

However, the good news is that the Platinum Pass is not expected to rise in price and includes free parking at all Cedar Fair Parks.

Since we have planned 3 days at CP and probably (hopefully) crowds will be (very) light, I was thinking about making a 1 day side trip to Canada's Wonderland on Tuesday 5/20 or Wednesday 5/21.

Question 1 : Will Behemoth be open by then ? Did the park already announce when exactly in May Behemoth will open ?

Question 2 : The distance between CP and CW is approx 230 miles. Should we look for a low cost airline and fly from Cleveland to Toronto and back on 1 day ? Or should we go by car on Wednesday and drive to Kennywood afterwards ?

Which airlines should I look for on the net ?

If by car, which route should we take to avoid traffic jams ? Via Detroit or Buffalo ? Will we loose much time at the border ?

Thanks in advance.

The park advised me in the meanwhile that Behemoth will be operating as from the first day of upcoming season.

So, we now plan to go by car to Canada's Wonderland on Wednesday 5/21. We would then already leave CP on Tuesday evening and drive halfway to CW and do the same on Wednesday evening from CW to Kennywood. If we drive via Buffalo, we can stay 2 nights at the same place.

My new question is : what village/town would you recommend to book an hotel in ? I was thinking somewhere between Erie and Buffalo ? We are looking for a nice, quiet town, preferably with a nice view (lake, mountains, ..). Any recommendations ?

My new question is : what village/town would you recommend to book an hotel in ? I was thinking somewhere between Erie and Buffalo ? We are looking for a nice, quiet town, preferably with a nice view (lake, mountains, ..). Any recommendations ?

There really isn't much in between Erie and Buffalo.

You could look into staying in Erie. Or if you want to go a bit farther, you could stay somewhere around St. Catherines, Ontario.

• 3 weeks later...

So we decided to book a hotel near the Niagara Falls from where we will visit Canada's Wonderland.

During our trip we will sleep mostly in Comfort Inn hotels and some Quality Inn hotels. I'm now considering to take my notebook with me so that we can keep you updated with TR's. But I have a question about the internet access in those hotels : on the homepage of Comfort Inn there is announced

Free high speed internet access
. But then on the detail pages of some hotels, there isn't mentioned anything about that, while on others it specifically mentions that all rooms have free internet access, sometimes even wireless.

Does anybody have experience with internet access in Comfort/Quality Inn hotels ? Do they all have at least free wired access on the rooms ?

• 2 weeks later...

When you go to Cedar Point, I recommend staying at Hotel Breakers. Its nice, within a few minute walking distance (if that much), not too pricey, and you get in the park an hour early!

^Thanks but too late. We already booked the Comfort Inn CP Maingate hotel. BE was also on our shortlist but eventually we've chosen the CI hotel.

I have 2 practical questions now :

1. I noticed we will a timezone once but couldn't figure out when & where exactly. Based on our planning for the first days (Evansville airport, Holidayworld, SFKK and KI), where will we go through the timezone ? And if I understood well, we will 'loose' one hour ?

2. If we start at 9am the Safari Park at SFGadv, how long will it take us to drive the tour ?

• 2 weeks later...
The time zone boundary is just east of Holiday World. You will lose an hour when traveling between Holiday World and Louisville (SFKK).

Thanks.

Our first day (HW + SFKK) will be hectic. Losing and hour and 2 parks on 1 day Luckily SFKK is open till 8 pm that day.