TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Runaway Coaster at Rotunda, UK Demolished

http://www.joylandbooks.com/scenicrailway/news.htm

While I actually enjoyed this little coaster the park was pretty much a permanant parking lot carnival. Not surprised this place didn't survive. The coaster was fun, not amazing and not worth losing sleep over, but fun.

You can see the photos I took at Rotunda in 2002 here:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/eco/rotunda/rotunda1.htm

--Robb

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another sad loss for English coasters, Who wants to say what the next coaster to go..?

The Save Dreamland Campaign has worked tirelessly over the last few days to save the Runaway Coaster, being the only side friction figure eight coaster left in the UK and one of only two in the world. We believed it to be an important part of amusement park heritage."

Nick continues: "The ride was earmarked for demolition first thing on Monday but we contacted the developers of the former Rotunda Park and told them that we wanted to move the ride off the site and store it. The developers agreed to give us 48 hours to confirm in writing that this would be done within six weeks. An engineer visited the site on Tuesday and carefully inspected the ride, which was found to be in remarkably good condition, although some wood replacement would have been necessary. A quote was obtained from an established ride transport company for dismantling the ride and moving it to storage.

We were fortunate to secure financial backing for this and our supporter wrote, on our behalf, to the developer confirming that the work would be done within the required period. Despite confirming receipt of the letter, demolition proceeded today regardless with no explanation. This is disappointing as there are no more traditional side friction coasters left in the UK.”

runaway4.jpg.1f31372dfe221eff4a07e4b37e3c38c8.jpg

runaway3.jpg.4cb1c8172a6776a170359cf79f9ccbc6.jpg

runaway2.jpg.bcc6094ed089099f5ff5071796c86b2b.jpg

runawaydemolition.jpg.4b67839313074b24896cc6a3699dd0db.jpg

RIP Runaway 1922 - 2007

• 1 year later...

I went to Folkestone a few months ago, and i knew that the rides had gone but i was shocked at what a state the place is now where all the rides used to be. it was totally just abandoned. the only thing in sight was an empy dome and the remains of the building in which the long flume used to live. It was really sad seeing it how it is now as i used to go there a lot when the place was up and running

Well I can tell you all now from going to Folkstone all the time for collage all that is left is....... *drums rolls*

To big circles on the floor where the domes used to be, half the mini golf course and an electrical sub station.

When i was a kid I loved it there and we went most weekends, but during the last years of its life it was just a mess and it needed to go.

They have made use of the golf course by cutting it up and making this erm art? Down on the seafront.

Photo003.jpg.a5553e0ad32754a71b02604ed303c6d7.jpg

Is this Art?