TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

"It's back. It's upgraded. Are you ready?"

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just done some calculations on rocket coasters and G-forces, I’m a bit surprised:

Stealth: 0 – 80 mph in 1.9 seconds. 80 mph = 128 km/h = 35.6 m/s (metres per second, just another way of indicating speed). That speed is reached in 1.9 seconds. Acceleration is speed difference divided by time it took. Stealth’s acceleration is 35.6 / 1.9 = 18,7 (m/s)/s.

The gravitational constant on earth is 9.81 (m/s)/s, that’s the one G you feel when you sit in you’re chair browsing websites. The number of G forces you feel as a result of the launch in stealth is only 18.7 / 9.81 = 1.91 G.

Dodonpa reaches 2.71 G during the launch.

That’s not very much. Most roller coasters hit more G’s in sharp turns and in the dips, usually 4 – 5 G’s. So in rocket coasters there is still some room to increase acceleration. We can take 5 G’s, can’t we? A 5 G launch would go in one second from 0 – 180 km/h (112 mph).

^ No, because the direction of the G-forces are different in those cases.

An acceleration G, from such a launch, pushes you horizantally back in your chair, rather than straight down. Im sure we could survive a 5-g launch, but it would not be comfortable, by any means. I wouldn't be surprised if you broke something.

The g's we hit in "sharp turns and dips" are vertical g's. They push you verically down, into your butt, if you will. Just by the nature of how our bodies are designed, we can take much higher vertical g's rather than horizantal or acceleration g's. That's why we can handle those 4-5...even 6-7 vertical g's on a coaster.

-Jahan

Dodonpa reaches 2.71 G during the launch.

That’s not very much.

It might appear that way on paper, but have you been on it? The launch was seriously like getting hit by a truck.

IMO, I actually found it to be kind of "uncomfortable" and not really enjoyable.

So regardless of what a calculation might say, in practice it was a very extreme ride.

--Robb

^ No, because the direction of the G-forces are different in those cases.

That's so true. I thought of it just after I posted my message!

But how about a flying Rocket Coaster!?! That would be the ultimate superman ride...

It might appear that way on paper, but have you been on it? The launch was seriously like getting hit by a truck.

--Robb

I haven't been on dodompa, but I read the thread on Dodonpa. I have to say, you've all took away my last doubts for embarking on a Japan Coaster trip!

But you are right, human perception is way more important then those figures.