Edge of Beast's Trip Reports and Random Things!

UPDATED: Worlds of Fun - July 13th, 2012
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
My brain is often hibernating.

Edge of Beast's Trip Reports and Random Things!

Postby -Edge of Beast- » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:58 am

What's up everybody? If you don't know me, my name is Sam or -Edge of Beast-. This is where I will post all of my trip reports and other random attractions 'n' stuff.

Adventures:

Elitch Gardens: 10/27/11 - Page 1
Denver Aquarium: 10/27/11 - Page 1
Worlds of Fun: 4/22/12 - Page 1
Worlds of Fun: 7/13/12 - Page 2

MiniVentures:

Estes Park: 12/3/11 - Page 1
----------------------------------

Hey everyone! In August I got a chance to go to Elitch Gardens and the Denver Aquarium on my way to Estes Park, Colorado. Denver is one of my favorite places, so I was glad to go back and visit. However, the main trip was to go to Estes Park, but we stopped at Denver for two days.

Elitch Gardens was a fairly nice park. I loved the urban scene all around the park, since it was right next to Downtown Denver. However, I did feel it was in a somewhat dangerous part of the city, which is a downside.

The park had a good selection of rides. Nothing to frown upon, but nothing to get excited about either. My favorites rides there were the Tower of Doom, Sidewinder, and Ghostblasters. It was also my first time to ride an SLC... not the greatest experience.

Tower of Doom: I ended up really loving it. You can see the widespread of attractions at the park and you can see downtown easily. The height of it freaked me out a tiny bit once we reached the top, just a mild fear of heights, but it wasn't too bad.

Mind Eraser: My first SLC... also my last.

Twister II: Twister II was a pretty enjoyable ride. A bit shaky, but fun nevertheless. It also scared me how the structure shaked whenever a train went by, but I didn't think about it on the coaster.

Ghostblasters: Oh man I loved this attraction! It was fun, but rather creepy at the same time! I rode it twice because I enjoyed it a lot.

Sidewinder: Slow operations, exciting ride. Nothing more to say other than that.

Big Wheel: It was an enjoyable ferris wheel! Gave some good views.

Shipwreck Falls: Biggest drench-filled ride ever.

-----------

Elitch Gardens: August 3rd, 2011-

The fun ferris wheel that I rode a few times. The last time it rained for a little bit, so we had to get off.

Here's the beautiful midway and the water park.

I didn't ride Half Pipe since I absolutely despise spinning rides. It didn't look too fun anyways.

Just a view from the ferris wheel.

Mess of crappy rides!

A shot of downtown and Elitch Gardens.

Gross... SLC.

I hope you enjoyed my Elitch Gardens trip report! It was definitely a good park, though it lacks great attractions. It's actually a better park than you might think it is. I can't wait to go back to Denver and get more pictures of the park!

Coming next: Denver Aquarium
Last edited by -Edge of Beast- on Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:14 pm.

Re: Edge of Beast's Trip Reports and Other Stuff

Postby -Edge of Beast- » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:15 pm

Denver Aquarium: August 2nd, 2011-

I'm not sure how to write a review about an aquarium... I guess the exhibits were cool. It was a lot bigger than some other aquariums I've been to. Time for pictures!

Elitch Gardens and Denver Aquarium

Turtle? I think so...

Themeing for the aquarium.

The aquarium is in da ghetto.

Not as many pictures in this update... ah well. I hope you enjoyed!

Postby -Edge of Beast- » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:36 pm

Estes Park, Colorado MiniVenture - Sometime in August.

After venturing to Elitch Gardens and the Denver Aquarium, we headed for Estes Park, our main visit for Colorado. Now now, I'm not into the nature stuff so I didn't enjoy the trip here that much. It was mostly for a church group trip, and I must say, I'm not really religious so I didn't like all of the things we talked about while being there.

We stayed at the YMCA of the Rockies. It was a fun and adventurous resort! Despite not liking nature, I liked the place a bit. The most fun things were going on a huge zipline and a hayride around the mountainous area. We also went on a lot of hikes early in the morning, like 4:30 am.

While not having too much fun, I loved the views that you could get all over the town. Even Downtown Estes was nice, and you could see the eerie Stanley Hotel up on a huge hill!

I'll keep giving you descriptions in each picture, so you'll find out more in them.

Our lodge? Very beautiful!

Look at that view! I must admit, I didn't really like this part of the mountains. It was too high and I started feeling dizzy and sick.

Another trail we found. These things are all over the place!

When will this trail end? Some trails can last miles. We finally had to turn around after about a mile. We were getting tired and wanted to continue on.

Mmm, I love the smell of pine in the morning.

Driving around the area. There's lots of roads that go on for many miles! You can end up in different towns if you don't stop and turn around.

Bye Denver! Time to head back to Kansas.

I hope you enjoyed this natural look that you don't normally find on TPR!

-----------------

If you realized, I didn't take lots of pictures over this trip. Next year when I go to parks, expect tons more shots and more TRs! :)
Last edited by -Edge of Beast- on Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:00 am.

Jo My Oh!

Postby Jerrykoala2112 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:27 pm

Nice Elitch Gardens trip report. I visited the park back when they still had the Flying Coaster, and I actually enjoyed it. I rode it again over the summer at Coney Island and it's just as good! Not as bad as everyone says.

What was Jer's last adventure? Drayton Manor - 2012
Check out my SFGAm Music Video - Here

Postby -Edge of Beast- » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:59 am

^ Yeah, it really didn't seem like a horrible ride when it was there. Although I've never been on one, it didn't seem too bad or worse than a Boomerang at the most. Unless your mind was just all wacky from riding it. :Pr

A not-so-awesome title

Postby molemaster43 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:41 am

Great TR. I did have an opportunity to ride an SLC, the SFNE Mind Eraser, but I didn't cuz it doesnt even look fun and it looks much rougher that a standard Batman

Re: Edge of Beast's Trip Reports and Random Things!

Postby -Edge of Beast- » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:54 pm

Worlds of Fun - April 22nd, 2012

Well since I didn't make it to opening day, I had to go at least the next open weekend! So yeah, this Sunday I stopped by my home park- Worlds of Fun.

Like always, it changed. Not the little changes, no, WOF changed a lot this year. Some things included new names, new locations, and even newly renovated buildings! They really changed it up! Overall I liked the park trying to 'up' the area!

So anyway... staff/operations... Slow, boring, average.. a usual habit for Worlds of Fun employees. I guess they'll never grow out of their slump. Or maybe it's just those first week "getting down the ride, yada yada yada", things. Food, while not being the best, was still not tasteless. I recognized a few distinct doodads at stalls.

Onto the rides. Mamba and Timber Wolf had this peculiar slouch where they each broke down at a point during the course of the day. Both on the slope of the lift hill. I didn't have a problem saying that they both opened eventually, but I was a tad angry. So the other rides themselves weren't horrible for the first week jitters, but again, staff was groggy and apathetic.

Rides:

Patriot (x1) - One train operation + long lines = one ride is fine for me.
Prowler (x1) - Same as Patriot- one train operation. Lines weren't cruel, they were about to the stairs most of the day. Intensifying and speedy like always!
Mamba (x0) - Closed a portion of the day and I was too lazy to walk back and get the credit. Although, again, they did have only a one train operation (awful for Mamba).
Planet Snoopy Crap (x1 on a few rides I was allowed on) - I don't know why, but I adore this section. So friendly and the staff was marvelous!
Fjord Fjarlane (x1) - Barely swinging = no fun.
Thunderhawk (x0) - IT WAS OPEN. Finally. Too bad I was nauseated after riding Timber Wolf. I would have ridden, but I didn't want to blow chunks.
Flying Dutchman, Autobahn, Le Carrousel (x1) - This area has a resemblance to a creepy Ghost Town. I feel the France section is kind of out of the rest of the park.

I was kind of let down after I left. The amount of rides I got made me furious. Due to the bad-weathered day, I didn't get to ride rides such as Viking Voyager, Mamba and Fury of the Nile. In addition to that, because of the frostbiting air, I didn't ride The Grand Carousel, Octopus, Scrambler, Skyliner, or Detonator. Urghhhh....

IMG_1132.JPG
Hey WOF! Why do we have to be visiting you on a crappy, cold day?
Viewed 2844 times

IMG_1133.JPG
YAY. I see a running Timber Wolf.
Viewed 2844 times

IMG_1137.JPG
Wellhai!
Viewed 2844 times

IMG_1143.JPG
Oh Mr. Spinning Dragons, mind your own business.
Viewed 2844 times

IMG_1141.JPG
"Oh nothing, just taking a photo behind a bush, that's all."
Viewed 2844 times

IMG_1144.JPG
I always feel fancy riding this.
Viewed 2844 times

IMG_1146.JPG
So hawt.
Viewed 2844 times

IMG_1147.JPG
Something is different here...
Viewed 2844 times

IMG_1148.JPG
Hmm...
Viewed 2844 times

IMG_1151.JPG
Fjord lalala.
Viewed 2844 times

IMG_1152.JPG
You rock kid.
Viewed 2844 times

IMG_1154.JPG
Just keep walking...
Viewed 2844 times

IMG_1156.JPG
Hi Mr. Octopus
Viewed 2844 times

IMG_1163.JPG
"Gurrrll, you know I'm hot." Said Mr. Prowler.
Viewed 2844 times

IMG_1165.JPG
It's like seeing heaven but better.
Viewed 2844 times

IMG_1169.JPG
Mmm
Viewed 2844 times

IMG_1166.JPG
EWWY.
Viewed 2844 times

IMG_1197.JPG
Moving on from Prowler... :(
Viewed 2844 times

IMG_1191.JPG
Well that sucks.
Viewed 2844 times

IMG_1170.JPG
But anyway, SEXY PAINT JOB.
Viewed 2844 times

IMG_1187.JPG
Why do the worst rides have to look the best?
Viewed 2844 times

IMG_1188.JPG
If it weren't so bad, I could compare it to cheesecake or something.
Viewed 2844 times

IMG_1199.JPG
You and your long lines!
Viewed 2844 times

IMG_1200.JPG
Planet Snoop-- What is that??
Viewed 2844 times

IMG_1201.JPG
Omg it's all sexified.
Viewed 2844 times

IMG_1218.JPG
And Mr. Mamba says "Sam, I'm open now!"
Viewed 2844 times

IMG_1205.JPG
Darn you
Viewed 2844 times

IMG_1226.JPG
Bunny hill time!
Viewed 2844 times

IMG_1233.JPG
Where'd you go, train?
Viewed 2844 times

I have so many more photos to show, but those'll have to wait till tomorrow afternoon! Hope you enjoyed the first part, Part Dos is coming!

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Location: In a boat on a river, with tangerine trees and marmalade skies.

Postby Ed Farmer » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:32 pm

Sidewinder at Elitch Gardens is something I really want to try before it vanishes.

8 years later and Spinning Dragons for Orient Express is just as unfortunate as it was back then. It's a close call between that, Shockwave/Superman, and Drachen Fire/nothing for worst replacement of an Arrow looper.
"Next, we are going to solicit the children of strangers so that we can go on a ride designed for children. This is so I can post online and impress other people who are very good at procuring unfamiliar children in order to go on rides designed for children, and thus have a higher arbitrary number than me."

Postby -Edge of Beast- » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:14 pm

Worlds of Fun - Part Two

More photos!

IMG_1209.JPG
Back to Planet Snoopy...
Viewed 2758 times

IMG_1210.JPG
This section is one of those places where you have to squeal like a little girl.
Viewed 2758 times

IMG_1215.JPG
Some other lil' things and a relocated "Cosmic Coaster".
Viewed 2758 times

IMG_1202.JPG
...and the previous location of Cosmic Coaster, aka Wacky Worm.
Viewed 2758 times

IMG_1225.JPG
Hold on, I'm almost done posting Planet Snoopy pics.
Viewed 2758 times

IMG_1231.JPG
I think this is a "fail" shot. Stupid balloon ride getting in the way of Mamba.
Viewed 2758 times

IMG_1224.JPG
For all those Mini-Giant Swing fans.
Viewed 2758 times

IMG_1214.JPG
What is that I see over there? Broken Timber Wolf.
Viewed 2758 times

IMG_1234.JPG
Moving on...
Viewed 2758 times

IMG_1237.JPG
"Cyclone Me!"
Viewed 2758 times

IMG_1238.JPG
Stupid one train operations.. I didn't get lots of photos of coasters operating.
Viewed 2758 times

IMG_1241.JPG
Thunderhawk was open!
Viewed 2758 times

IMG_1245.JPG
Timber Wolf
Viewed 2758 times

IMG_1246.JPG
Moar Timber Wolf.
Viewed 2758 times

IMG_1255.JPG
...and PATRIOT.
Viewed 2758 times

IMG_1257.JPG
Hilly hill hills
Viewed 2758 times

IMG_1254.JPG
Yummy
Viewed 2758 times

IMG_1261.JPG
For all lift hill nerds.
Viewed 2758 times

IMG_1259.JPG
Mr. Patriot feels like hiding.
Viewed 2758 times

IMG_1265.JPG
Bye Patriot!
Viewed 2758 times

IMG_1266.JPG
Panda Express was supposed to be the focus, but Spinning Dragons hogged the picture.
Viewed 2758 times

IMG_1264.JPG
Get bamboozled.
Viewed 2758 times

IMG_1269.JPG
To end this trip report, Spinning Dragons!
Viewed 2758 times

Hopefully you enjoyed these photos! Thanks for viewing! :)

Blake Griffin Is Dreamy

Postby GriffyTiffy » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:16 pm

Nice report!

I really need to get to WoF sometime soon. Prowler looks amazing, and I'm quite a fan of Boomerangs :P A good head bashing does a body good. Also, what exactly is Cyclone Sam's? I hear it is amazing.

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!