TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Why some "new" types of coasters succeed and others fail

I think the floor-less hyper coaster train design made by Intamin was kind of a failure because Skyrush at Hershey Park is the only Intamin coaster of its kind to date. I am quite sure people prefer floor-less coaster to have inversions so, that is why B&M has been successful with their floor-less coasters oppose to floor-less coasters with no inversions that Intamin has only produced once. Also, Intamin was a little behind the time with floor-less coasters as the first one was produced by B&M in 1999 which is Medusa/Bizarro at Six Flags Great Adventure as Intamin opened SkyRush at Hershey Park in 2012. Also, I've heard that Skyrush is very uncomfortable.

You're mixing up your terms. Skyrush isn't a "floorless" coaster, as you can see it very visibly has a floor (an ugly exposed grey floor). It has seats on the edge that make it a "wing coaster" hybrid sort of thing. Intamin also makes a wing coaster that is more comparable to B&M's wing coaster, of course there's only one of those too (Furious Baco). I'm not sure how Intamin stays in business spending so much money on R&D only to have one or two installations made in many cases. I believe Fahrenheit is also their only vertical lift coaster.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're mixing up your terms. Skyrush isn't a "floorless" coaster, as you can see it very visibly has a floor (an ugly exposed grey floor). It has seats on the edge that make it a "wing coaster" hybrid sort of thing. Intamin also makes a wing coaster that is more comparable to B&M's wing coaster, of course there's only one of those too (Furious Baco). I'm not sure how Intamin stays in business spending so much money on R&D only to have one or two installations made in many cases. I believe Fahrenheit is also their only vertical lift coaster.

Okay, I just couldn't think of the term "wing coaster" at the time. The reason as to why I said floor-less is because of the seats on the outside of Skyrush's train. B&M makes a true floor-less coaster and they're great. Yeah, I don't understand either how Intamin stays in business spending a lot of money on R&D. I believe the only reason as to why they're still around is because of the rides they manufacture, not their coasters. But, one thing I can say is that Intamin did create the first launched "Wing coaster" with Furius Baco at PortAventura in 2007 and then once again with U-shaped Roller Coaster (SBNO) at Victory Kingdom in 2013 before B&M had with Thunderbird at Holiday World this year.But, interestingly enough, Intamin's launched wing coasters have two different launch methods, the first being hydraulic and the seconds being LSM.