TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

I randomly found the site of a really old coaster

So I was driving down to the Northgate Mall to get a camera, taking backroads, and I stumbled across a back lot with a sign with the name of a coaster--something with 'dipper' in it-- and I think I saw it was from Playland park. I don't know if this was Seattle's 'Playland' or Playland PNE in Vancouver, BC. I was going to go back and look once I got a new camera to take pictures, but sadly I forgot to look whether Talls Camera was still in the mall.. It isn't.

Anyone know anything about this, or any of you know where I can find information on this? It was just East of Hwy 99 on N 125th st, about 1 block over there is a lot with signs on the fence, one of them was definitely history about this coaster. I will have to go back soon with my crappy camera and check it out, probably can do it tomorrow.

I will update this tomorrow with more info

Edited by LuminousAphid

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^ That is so strange to see, in the middle of the N.Seattle neighborhoods.

Even I had no idea it was there, and I used to visit Seattle at least twice

a month. But then, I guess I never visited that area of the city, and wasn't

a coaster geek then, or I know I would have already found these signs.

I think it was "The Dipper," from Playland when it was in the Bitter Lake neighborhood: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitter_Lake,_Seattle

I will get back down there tomorrow and take some pics, it didn't look like there was much of a view but I've done my fair share of harmless trespassing, and there wasn't any barbed wire

edit: looking at the pic from street view, it might not actually be there anymore, that looks like a stock yard for some sort of industry. I thought I saw some curved pieces when I was there today, but have no idea if it was part of the coaster. In fact, they probably aren't because they were red metal pices. This may all be a false alarm due to the sign haha (also there is barbed wire in that pic hmmm)

Edited by LuminousAphid

www.rollercoastersofthepacificnw.com/pages/phare.html Here is a website which has some information on what was most likely the coaster you found.

Also thanks for this info, this is definitely the coaster on the info thing. I didn't know there was ever a "playland" in that neighborhood, I thought they meant the "Fun Forest" down in Seattle Center. Funny, my dad always talks about how there was forest everywhere back in the day, and it's all developed now.... I guess this works opposite for amusement parks