TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

North Korea

A few weeks ago I visited the Democratic People's Republic of Korea with fellow Club TPR member George Greenway. It's taken me a while to get around to it, but I've finally posted my pictures. Here are some direct links to the full photo albums:

• Kaeson Funfair, renovated two years ago and of international standard, featuring a ride collection from Zamperla including a fairly decent Volare (yes, really).
  • Taesongsan Funfair, the oldest park in Pyongyang. The big coaster was SBNO unfortunately, but the mouse was open (and insane!).
  • Mangyongdae Funfair, the largest park in the country with three coasters and a ride package from Meisho; this was broadly similar to Japanese parks from the 1980s.

For those interested in the rest of what North Korea has to offer, I've put a more general photo album on Facebook.

Here are a few images to whet the appetite:

loopcoaster5.thumb.jpg.143e15f1699bd21fddac4f4253140be9.jpg

Loop Coaster

overview.thumb.jpg.1a251f5385d7efb87826a43ed518a718.jpg

Kaeson Funfair

kwansongtancha2.thumb.jpg.db0577581c13c42b310278f824e24385.jpg

Insane Mouse

Enjoy!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've read a report on North Korean parks which sounded quite frightening - restraints not working, track and supports rusting, metal beams in the way of tall poeple's heads onride - at least the second pic looks like there've been some improvement.

Well done sirs! You guys have any tips for anyone who may want to take this on in the future?

http://www.koryotours.com

I've read a report on North Korean parks which sounded quite frightening - restraints not working, track and supports rusting, metal beams in the way of tall poeple's heads onride - at least the second pic looks like there've been some improvement.

I've seen that story about metal beams too, and it's crap. The author was referring to the Loop Coaster at Mangyongdae, which is a Meisho ride built by the Japanese; there's plenty of clearance to the cross-beams, and always has been. I'm pretty tall, and I could have had my hands in the air without hitting them.

Having said that, there was (and is) rust on the ride track and supports, which you can see in my pictures. It doesn't affect the ride quality though; the Loop Coaster was fairly smooth; the Double Loop was more typical Meisho (!) but nothing unmanageable. In all cases the restraints were working just fine.

I'm not sure negative speculation is a great way to represent yourself at the START of what is going to amount to an epic TR!

@WFChris

As kid I was often visiting relatives in the soviet-led GDR (German Democratic Republic) and there was a carnival once - after my parents saw the condition of the rides they prohibited me riding them. So I did believe that report. However I'm nevertheless happy that in North Korea things are obviously better.

^

Agreed. I've seen many good photos completely destroyed by someone putting a hideous watermark across the middle of the image that totally detracts from the picture itself. You'll note that there are no watermarks of any kind on my main site or on the various photo TRs that I've posted here.

When I set up ThemeParks.ie I decided early on that I wanted to put a date and description on all full size images in as unobtrusive a way as possible. Maybe I'm not being totally objective, but I don't really see that in the same category as a watermark given that it is both out of the way and easily cropped off if someone felt so inclined.

So just to debunk that rumo(u)r thoroughly, here is a photo showing the clearance to the metal cross-beams in the helix. Yes, there's plenty of rust in the picture, but there's no way at all that taller people would hit the bars.

clearance.thumb.jpg.8dea60cc7fed42df69085ef94fc47367.jpg

Clearance