TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

PTR: Hersheypark Opening Day - 5/6/11

I went to the park on opening day for the very first time and had a blast! I met up with Leah and Chris from Keystone Thrills and enjoyed spending the day with them.

Also during the day, I took notice of some more changes that I either missed during Springtime in the Park or that didn't take effect until between that event and opening day.

The park wasn't that busy, mainly school groups outnumbered general park guests.

Now was the time to start taking pics of Comet since this area will look much different next year.

Flying Falcon was up and running again, finally! I love the new signage that they installed on the ride.

Several of the new things I noticed that I don't remember from Springtime in the Park were new signs for Pirate and Coal Cracker as well as a new Rita's stand at the entrance to the Boardwalk.

Glad it's finally up. They had a cherry picker alongside of it earlier in the day working on something. I'm guessing they still don't have the kinks out of it yet, plus pre-season inspecting/testing. I was hoping to ride it but I guess that will have to wait until next month.

I finally rode Sidewinder, twice! I must say I was really impressed with the overall ride experience and especially the new train. It was very comfortable and definitely more elbow room than from what I've heard about the old train. I walked off both times not hurting or with a headache.

After experiencing this one, I have to say that Wildcat is now the roughest coaster in the park. Sidewinder is definitely up there close to Great Bear as far as smoothness goes and I do expect to be riding it often this season!

ZooAmerica from the monorail

And I conclude this PTR with some aerial Kissing Tower pix:

On a side note, Kissing Tower's queue configuration did change, as was reported by other members earlier. I didn't get any pics but it will indeed take some getting used to the new set-up.

Enjoy the pics. I'll be back the first Sunday of next month! Until then, so long!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the piccys, HPCrazy! Especially the two pics for Sidewinder! I had this weird feeling in my gut that Sidewinder was going to get the new trains for its 20th year of operation. Turns out, I was actually right!

I also like the Kissing Tower pics you've taken, especially the one of Comet Hollow. I can't even imagine how much more cluttered that area will be once work on Project 2012 starts up...

Nice TR. Just curious, are sidewinders trains brand new or are they the old ones with modifications?

100% brand new!

As for the photos... I definitely admire the shot of Comet Hollow... that skyline may be quite different by the end of next year.

I would expect construction to begin in Comet Hollow shortly after the August 2nd announcement.

I do agree in that the Sidewinder train is 100% brand new. I still can't believe how a huge improvement it was from what I've heard about the old train.

Is Sidewinder still as intense as it was before? I remember the last time I rode Sidewinder (2010) I greyed out a few times.

Thanks for the PTR!

I didn't grey out at all. It was very comfortable and enjoyable. I rank it up there almost as close as Great Bear regarding smoothness.

Really? Glad to hear the news train are helping, can't wait to see them on more coasters in the future!

It seems Vekoma has finally gotten it right with these new trains for their boomerangs!

And now it's time to sort out the SLC trains!

They have already actually. The Great Nor' Easter was the first to feature the new SLC trains with the vest style restraint.

I was thinking the same thing. Even though it's a suspended boomerang, if Vekoma came out with a new train for that type of model, you would think that they'd make it happen like Carowinds did with Carolina Cobra.