TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Uk parks trip

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys,

I want to do a Uk theme parks trip, since I'm studying here for one year. Which parks do you think I can't miss?

Surely I'll go to Alton Towers and Thorpe Park. I want some advice about 2-3 other parks that I have to visit.

Thanks!

What type of parks, coasters and rides to you typical like.

Alton Towers and Thorpe Park are generally considered two of the best, but certain factors could make other parks attractive. Everyone's tastes vary but Blackpool Pleasure Beach, Flamingoland, Oakwood and Chessington should be put on your schedule.

Edited by larrygator

Blackpool is perhaps the most horrific place in the whole of the UK. The fact that there are roller coasters there may or may not justify a visit, depending on your tolerance of adverse weather conditions and the general strength of your immune system. I am exaggerating of course, it definitely has a unique charm, and from a coasters-point-of-view it has some really classic and beautiful rides like the Revolution (Arrow shuttle coaster) which I think was the first looping coaster in Europe in the late 70s and one of the only ones left in the world. The Pepsi Max (Arrow hyper coaster) is just a big drop and not much else but the wooden roller coasters there are original 1930s and 1940s and totally brilliant (you will feel your teeth rattle inside your skull .

Drayton Manor in Staffordshire (same county as Alton Towers) is also a really beautiful park, and though I haven't been since I was a kid I have really good memories of riding the Shockwave (Intamin stand up) about 20 times in a row and being genuinely terrified on the drop tower there. I still can't go on Drop Towers without thinking I am actually going to fall off and die. Good times!

Hope you enjoy studying in England and have some time to visit some of the parks here you will love them!

it definitely has a unique charm,

That would be my general consensus. I can appreciate that people may have had a fun time there, but I chalk it up to the companianship factor and nothing else. It's one thing for a park to suck, but all too often I see people have a ball at a shit park and swear golden by it forever after. Two different things.

I live in the UK so visit these parks often...My advice -

Visit Alton Towers - It is probably the best overall UK park, it is pleasant and has a good variety of rides for different age groups.

visit Blackpool Pleasure Beach - Even better rides than Alton but has a cheap and rundown feeling in places.

visit Flamingo Land - It is a nice park in a nice area and Mumbo Jumbo is simply amazing!

visit Legoland - Great park, however if you want thrill rides only, don't go!

visit Chessington - Nice park, nice atmosphere.

Hope this helps....

What about Blackpool is so appealing other than the run down, coney island suffering from elephantitis appeal? The Steeplechase is the one great plus I've ever read about- on this site nonethless, and alcohol probably magnified it's awesomeness. Other than that, nice setting, check (fuji-q be damned! they don't give ert! so f that mountain and it's damn clouds), underwhelming wood coasters, check (but they have hand slapping capabilities!!! +infinity), the worst Arrow hyper ever built, and I've only been on one, check, SLC, check. Sweet place. I hope my wife gives birth to my first child right on that sh*ithole looking place's midway.

- Edited to say that I would imagine that even the worst park can be fun with friends, no doubt, I just don't think that people should judge a parks worthiness on that particularity. It's misleading.

Edited by Ed Farmer

Blackpool has some great rides, One of a few remaining shuttle loops, Steeplechase, Nickolodeon Land may be open, Grand National an amazing ride, Ice Blast, Valhalla, The Big One and Bling are some great rides along with some other flat rides and coasters and the Slc. The Dark rides are pretty good as well.

It's a park I know a lot about as I have grown up with it. The atmosphere of the place is pretty good.

^Wild Mouse is awesome, Steeplechase as you mentioned, a lot of people love dark rides, Bling and other unique flats. I could probably list more but have to run to a meeting.

Appreciate the response. As I say, I've never been there, I don't know how to enjoy a wild mouse because one of my home parks houses two! Eye candy or not, Blackpool would be on my itenerary on my UK visit- just to see.

I look at Blackpool and I can't see what the draw is. It looks like Indiana Beach minus Cornball and any good coaster (from the eyeball glance).

Indiana Beach is one of my least favourite parks I've ever been to. Cornball Express is massively overrated, the other rides are extremely unmemorable, the atmosphere was lacklustre, the lake's one of the most rancid I've ever seen and tasted (as they use that waste in their drinking fountains... I still can't believe people would actually swim in that stuff!) and, probably most dissappointingly, despite what everyone says, the park's actually nothing like Blackpool anyway.

Sure, Blackpool has its major drawbacks (especially recently now they've closed the park to the wandering public and got rid of a ton of stuff for a couple of fountains), but I still massively prefer it over Indiana Beach. Grand National, Wild Mouse, Big Dipper and the Steeplechase are all much better than anything Indiana Beach has got to offer in my opinion.

Ed, have you actually been to either of these parks?

From the way you're writing, I guess not ("The Steeplechase is the one great plus I've ever read about"), yet you go on to write a load of quite utter rubbish. If you have no idea what you're talking about, then please stop.

Anyhow, back on the main topic, and it really depends on where you're studying and how far you're willing to travel to get to a park.

If you're willing to travel anywhere in the UK for a park, I definitely suggest Oakwood in Wales. If that is too far for you, then I'm just going to suggest what's already been mentioned:

Thorpe, Chessington and Legoland are the obvious London parks.

Alton Towers is the best park in the UK although can be a bit tricky to travel to.

Blackpool and Flamingoland (if you are doing Flamingoland, you'ld might as well do Lightwater whilst you're at it) are northern parks which would need an overnight stop if you're studying in London (actually Alton may need an overnight stay as well, but I'ld suggest having more than 1 day at the park anyway).

Drayton Manor and Adventure Island are also do-able, although neither of these parks should take a full day to complete.

And that's pretty much every major UK park covered!

If you can only pick 5, then I'ld go for Blackpool, Alton, Thorpe, Chessington and either Oakwood or Flamingoland.

-Mike-

I look at Blackpool and I can't see what the draw is. It looks like Indiana Beach minus Cornball and any good coaster (from the eyeball glance).

Indiana Beach is one of my least favourite parks I've ever been to. Cornball Express is massively overrated, the other rides are extremely unmemorable, the atmosphere was lacklustre, the lake's one of the most rancid I've ever seen and tasted (as they use that waste in their drinking fountains... I still can't believe people would actually swim in that stuff!) and, probably most dissappointingly, despite what everyone says, the park's actually nothing like Blackpool anyway.

Sure, Blackpool has its major drawbacks (especially recently now they've closed the park to the wandering public and got rid of a ton of stuff for a couple of fountains), but I still massively prefer it over Indiana Beach. Grand National, Wild Mouse, Big Dipper and the Steeplechase are all much better than anything Indiana Beach has got to offer in my opinion.

Ed, have you actually been to either of these parks?

From the way you're writing, I guess not ("The Steeplechase is the one great plus I've ever read about"), yet you go on to write a load of quite utter rubbish. If you have no idea what you're talking about, then please stop.

Anyhow, back on the main topic, and it really depends on where you're studying and how far you're willing to travel to get to a park.

If you're willing to travel anywhere in the UK for a park, I definitely suggest Oakwood in Wales. If that is too far for you, then I'm just going to suggest what's already been mentioned:

Thorpe, Chessington and Legoland are the obvious London parks.

Alton Towers is the best park in the UK although can be a bit tricky to travel to.

Blackpool and Flamingoland (if you are doing Flamingoland, you'ld might as well do Lightwater whilst you're at it) are northern parks which would need an overnight stop if you're studying in London (actually Alton may need an overnight stay as well, but I'ld suggest having more than 1 day at the park anyway).

Drayton Manor and Adventure Island are also do-able, although neither of these parks should take a full day to complete.

And that's pretty much every major UK park covered!

If you can only pick 5, then I'ld go for Blackpool, Alton, Thorpe, Chessington and either Oakwood or Flamingoland.

-Mike-

Awesome post!

- I live just a few hours from Indiana Beach- I last visited when LoCoSuMa was built, and I have no desire to visit again anytime soon. Steel Hawg looks like a wild mouse on steroids. I would rather ride nothing than a wild mouse.

- Ed Farmer, my handle, is the color guy for the White Sox. Hands down the most dry, sarcastic human being I've ever heard or known. My hero- I'm Mark, Mark-Ham, whatever you want to know me as. Pleased to meet you.

- No, I haven't been to Blackpool. I'd love to go, and until I do, take everything I say with a grain of salt. I'm not one for theme and "charm", so there is that also. I would rather go to the DMV or hell than a Disney park. I'm an Arrow Dynamics fan, so I'd be interested in Big One and Revolution, and I enjoy Vekoma products, so the SLC is good by me--- all I'm saying is the park isn't exactly accessible from where I'm at. I rely on photos and reviews (such as can be found right here). The conclusion I've come to is that I would rather go to Thorpe to ride Inferno, or take a leisure day and ride (meh)ir at Alton. Oh and (meh)mesis too.. (haha, yikes, jk- I really do want to try that one). Kennywood has a bunch of charming garbage that I wouldn't care about too, I'd go to see Phantom and take some token laps on the rest of their over-glorified lineup. Until I get to either place, what more can I do than rely on others' accounts? I have no doubt that I would be able to have a good time at Blackpool, don't get me wrong! I'm saying it doesn't look like my cup of tea from here.

Thanks Guys!

I live in coventry, but I would like to start my trip in London and then going to the north. From your answers i think I'll visit Thorpe Park at the beginning, then Drayton Manor Alton Towers and lastly Blackpool. Maybe I can add chessington or Legoland in the meanwhile. I'll decide. Unluckily Oakwood is too far from eveything!!!

Thanks Guys!

I live in coventry, but I would like to start my trip in London and then going to the north. From your answers i think I'll visit Thorpe Park at the beginning, then Drayton Manor Alton Towers and lastly Blackpool. Maybe I can add chessington or Legoland in the meanwhile. I'll decide. Unluckily Oakwood is too far from eveything!!!

Last April I did a round trip of the UK, starting in London, did the big 3 (legoland, chessington and thorpe), heading along the M4 into wales for a stop off at Oakwood (it really is worth the drive, best park in the UK as far as I'm concerned!), headed up the coast of Wales back into the UK to do Camelot and Blackpool in one day (only wanted Camelot for Knightmare! awesome coaster) headed across country to the North East for Lightwater Valley (did Flamingoland at the end of 2009 so not in a major rush for it at that point!) then headed down to Fantasy Island, then finished up at Drayton Manor.

Take a look if you like and maybe take something from it for your own trip...

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54414

Yeah, I pretty much agree with most posts here!

Blackpool, Chessington, Drayton, Thorpe and Alton are the 5 I would hit

But i guess it depends on what type of parks you like?

Don't waste your time in Scotland though, we have rubbish parks! ( Doesn't look like you were planning on it anyhoos! )

I definitely recommend Alton Towers. It is our No 1 theme park and it offers an experience that you just don't get anywhere else. Thorpe Park is great, it is a thrill seekers theme park so if you are in to thrill rides then thorpe is the ideal place for you! Alton does offer the better roller coasters, Nemesis being the world's No 7 steel roller coaster. They have world firsts: Oblivion was the first B&M dive machine, Air was B&M's first flyer and Th13teen....I won't spoil the surprise for you . Chessington is great as well, it has some of the best theming in the UK but this only has one major thrill ride, Rameses Revenge. It's also our first true theme park. A very fun theme park with one of the best Maurer Sohne spinning coasters! Pleasure Beach Blackpool is also very good, since it's an amusement park you will have to pay for each ride. Really I'd say visit Chesington,Thorpe, Alton and Blackpool. I wouldn't recommend Legoland. Definitely go to Alton Towers. It really is amazing, it's a world class theme park and offers a truly unforgettable experience. Plus, it is a resort so you can stay over night.

Enjoy your trip by the the way.

I actually just got back from a semester abroad in the UK, where I was trying to do as many as possible. (While I succeeded, schoolwork ate up so much time I was never able to post anything here for awhile -_-)

I'd agree with the general consensus that Alton Towers is definitely the best park, so make sure to get to that. I found traveling to it to be pretty easy as well, thanks to the buses from train stations. Coventry appears to be pretty close to it too, so you should be able to get there pretty easily.

My second favorite was probably Chessington, as long as you enjoy a park for its overall atmosphere and fun and not just the coasters. Vampire's station is absolutely incredible, and is a pretty unique ride. It's very easy to catch a train from London as well.

The other three I visited were Thorpe, Blackpool and Flamingoland.

Flamingoland is slightly difficult to get to, but there is a bus that stops right outside it from a train station (bus was called the York Coastliner, I believe). The park had horrible atmosphere (I didn't get to the zoo so I don't know if it's better back there), but Mumbo Jumbo and Kumali are well worth the trip. I was also very impressed by the Frisbee, whatever it's name was.

My trip to Blackpool was plagued by horrible cold, rainy weather, but I did love both Grand National, Wild Mouse and Steeplechase. The Big One was a big disappointment- the most exciting part was wondering if we were going to valley. I enjoyed exploring the boardwalk and arcades of Blackpool itself as well, and if you visit make sure to get lots of Rock! Hostels are plentiful and cheap nearby.

Thorpe Park is easy to get to from London, and I really enjoyed my day there, but I think I preferred my day at Chessington. Colossus and SAW are fun, but Nemesis Inferno can't hold a candle to the real Nemesis.

Hope you have fun!