TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

John's Incredible may open 1st East Coast location

John's Incredible Pizza/Amusement Park in New Jersey?

MOORESTOWN — A large-scale restaurant with an entertainment twist may be headed to Moorestown Mall.

Township council has approved zoning and gaming ordinance changes that would allow John's Incredible Pizza, a West Coast operation, to open its first 900-seat buffet restaurant and indoor amusement park on the East Coast.

Representatives of John's Incredible Pizza outlined to township officials some of the details of what would be a 50,000-square-foot eatery with rides such as bumper cars and a twister at the mall, on Route 38.

"Our view is that this would be a great addition to the mall and a shot in the arm to arguably the township's most important commercial asset," said Mayor Daniel Roccato, alluding to the fact the mall is the largest taxpayer in the township.

Roccato as well as representatives of the restaurant dispelled township-wide rumors alcohol would be served at the restaurant.

"There has been no request or discussion about alcohol," the mayor said.

Mall manager Brian Gardner said the proposal for John's Incredible Pizza still is under negotiation with mall officials. He declined other comment.

Brian Siegel, of the H. Katz Capital Group of Southampton, Pa., said John's is a family-oriented business that requires buying a meal to enter the amusement and arcade area. According to the firm -- which represented the restaurant at a recent township meeting -- the Moorestown location will not serve wine, as is the case with other John's restaurants.

Siegel also said the business appeals mainly to families; children under 16 are not permitted without an adult.

"We liked Moorestown and the family nature of the area," he explained. "Not having a liquor license is not an issue at all because it is only a very small part of our revenue at our locations."

John's sells more than pizza. It features an Italian buffet with Sicilian fare. Among its wide range of pizza are spicy peanut butter and macaroni and cheese pizza.

Siegel said the business hopes to locate near the Boscov's end of the mall and have both an outside and indoor entrance.

If an agreement is reached with mall management, township Solicitor Thomas Coleman III said it would involve relocating some existing tenants.

Tom Ford, township director of community development, said the two ordinance changes were clarifications to specifically allow indoor arcades as a permitted use and to set the allowable square footage between 30,000 and 60,000 for an indoor amusement park.

"Our existing zoning ordinance probably would have allowed this in the special restricted commercial zone (the mall), but we thought it best to clarify the language," Ford said.

He added John's now would have to obtain only a building permit and then an annual license for operation.

Township council approved the ordinance changes by a unanimous vote last week, acting on a favorable recommendation by the planning board and following comments by residents.

Some speakers asked the township to postpone action because the public had little prior information about the proposal.

Mark Morgan, president of the Moorestown Business Association and a member of the township economic development committee, welcomed John's "for the good of the town and the mall," and said it was necessary for the council not to delay action.

Resident Greg Adams said a large business at the mall will create jobs and give kids a place to go.

But Jackie Grayer expressed concern about the menu.

"We are trying to make our children healthier and they are serving peanut butter and macaroni and cheese pizza," Grayer said.

Siegel said healthier offerings are on the menu.

Edited by larrygator

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have yet to visit a John's Incredible Pizza. Aren't there currently only two with a credit?

I'm especially looking forward to more details on the Oregon one, which will practically be in my town (I've shopped at the building's former occupant, Circuit City). If there's a credit...I'll probably visit.

• 2 months later...

As it turns out, I live one town over from the Moorestown mall.

If I see any major development or headway in the construction process I'll be sure to keep everyone updated. What'll be interesting is how the addition of another FEC will affect already existing ones (ex. the funplex, coco key, sahara sam's, and the currently operating but lesser version of Krazy City)

BTW Krazy city closed last summer apparently and then reopened as Tilt studios I believe