TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Theme Park Careers

As an enthusiest who lives for the summer, I'd love to make a living off of theme parks. Unfortunately jobs are few and inbetween....does anyone know of anything else in a related field that would work as a full time job or an adequate field of study? As of right now, I'm working slowly on a Communication degree while working as a Gameroom Attendant at Chuck E Cheese....

From my experience you got to move where the full time jobs are. With this industry being as small as it is you must go to the jobs and can't hope and wait for a job to open up around you. My best recommendation would be to move to Orlando or SoCal where you can go full time in a front line position. Disney, Universal and Sea World all have programs to help groom people for leadership (at least here in Orlando) and if you work hard you could move up to a lead probably after a year and a manager after two. Get some management experience and then move to a park elsewhere. Where is a park like Coney Island or Kings Island by you may have only one full time opening a year if that, the year-round parks are always looking for management at all levels in all areas.

So, I'm interested in backstage work at theme parks, like stage/show management basically...currently I'm a manager in a restaurant, and live fairly close to SFOT...I'm pretty sure most such jobs there would be seasonal, yes?

So, do you think it would be better to stay where I'm at until I get some debts paid off, and can afford to move to SoCal or Orlando/Tampa, or do you think it would be better to get experience in the park industry, and then try and move?

Not sure if SFOT would qualify as seasonal or not, since Texas parks are open a good portion of the year... I would see if SFOT would consider you for a management position, and if not, try to work your way up the park system. What are you interested in? Rides/Games/Retail/Maintanance/Sales?...

As for Andrew's advice, thanks. I can definately see that customer service is among my area of specialty at this point..The question is, should I look into hotel management now, or would it be best to move to SoCal/Orlando and work my way up another park? What accredidation does it require to get into hotel management? The college I currently attend has a major in Recreation, but its a very tight program, and I can't get into any of it's courses...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll put my two cents in here as I feel it's relevant.

First off, if you want to get into operations/management side of the amusement industry rather than the engineering side, the biggest advice I can give is to get into it as early as possible. The parks I'm familiar with hire from within for management and even supervision roles, so it's a case of working your way up. Now, from my experience, it's easier to work your way up at a smaller park, but really all it entails is "when is this position going to open up?" and how good of a worker you are. For example, I started in 2007 at Cedar Point, and a lot of the supervisors in the rides department are still the same except for maybe one or two that were moved up in recent years, but they both have spent more than five years working for the park. Meanwhile, I transferred up to Michigan's Adventure, got promoted to being a team leader my first year there, and now, my four year working for them, I'm already a supervisor. It really depends on the park.

Even if it your home park is only a seasonal park, if working in amusement parks is what you really want to do, then starting seasonal is what you'll probably have to do to make it happen. Plus, it's a great way to make money during the summer if you're still in school.

On the education side, I luckily go to a college that has a quickly growing "Hospitality and Tourism Management" major available, which after my first summer working in an amusement park was the way I started to go. While if your heart is set on it, UCF's program is definitely the way to go, there are several schools out there that have programs like this. Most of them are aimed at hotel/lodging and food and beverage management, but the same basic principles apply to amusement parks. Other ways to go include a general business, recreation or even movement science majors.

So, I'm interested in backstage work at theme parks, like stage/show management basically...currently I'm a manager in a restaurant, and live fairly close to SFOT...I'm pretty sure most such jobs there would be seasonal, yes?

So, do you think it would be better to stay where I'm at until I get some debts paid off, and can afford to move to SoCal or Orlando/Tampa, or do you think it would be better to get experience in the park industry, and then try and move?

It really depends on experience. Seasonal or not you won't get a stage management role without experience. Do you do any stage work at local schools/churches/etc? Moving won't do you any good if you don't have experience. I would say build up some experience at a local park as maybe a tech then following year as a stage manager then start networking with people at Disney (if you are still in school they offer internship for both management and non management stage positions).

As for Andrew's advice, thanks. I can definately see that customer service is among my area of specialty at this point..The question is, should I look into hotel management now, or would it be best to move to SoCal/Orlando and work my way up another park? What accredidation does it require to get into hotel management? The college I currently attend has a major in Recreation, but its a very tight program, and I can't get into any of it's courses...

The only accreditation it takes is to be good with people. I would say if possible work hard in school, and get a job at a hotel. If you are good with people and work hard you'll move up. When it comes time to graduate start looking at internships - almost every big park offers some form of management ones (with Disney and Universal Orlando's programs being the stand outs). You'll be able to bring a few years of guest service experience to the table and that will do wonders. What you get your degree in really doesn't matter if you are looking for operations side (engineering it matters of course) again it comes down to can you work with guests. Sure you can transfer to a school in SoCal/Orlando but it almost is as good staying put and just getting a hospitality job.

I'll put my two cents in here as I feel it's relevant.

First off, if you want to get into operations/management side of the amusement industry rather than the engineering side, the biggest advice I can give is to get into it as early as possible. The parks I'm familiar with hire from within for management and even supervision roles, so it's a case of working your way up. Now, from my experience, it's easier to work your way up at a smaller park, but really all it entails is "when is this position going to open up?" and how good of a worker you are. For example, I started in 2007 at Cedar Point, and a lot of the supervisors in the rides department are still the same except for maybe one or two that were moved up in recent years, but they both have spent more than five years working for the park. Meanwhile, I transferred up to Michigan's Adventure, got promoted to being a team leader my first year there, and now, my four year working for them, I'm already a supervisor. It really depends on the park

On the education side, I luckily go to a college that has a quickly growing "Hospitality and Tourism Management" major available, which after my first summer working in an amusement park was the way I started to go. While if your heart is set on it, UCF's program is definitely the way to go, there are several schools out there that have programs like this. Most of them are aimed at hotel/lodging and food and beverage management, but the same basic principles apply to amusement parks. Other ways to go include a general business, recreation or even movement science majors.

That's good advice but if you really want management fast seasonal parks arn't the place to work up. Nothing against people when I say this as some of my best friends took this route... but it takes what a season to become a lead? Another season or (usually) two to become a supervisor? You go to a big park such as Disney or Universal and work hard you could be a team lead after 6 months or two. A salaried supervisor/manager, who would make far more than what an are supervisor or manager would at a seasonal park, after a year and a half two years. I just caution the seasonal route. You get stuck in the parks. You work a summer then get roped into to a lead for the next summer or two then supervisor for a few years, than maybe, in extreme rare cases after a few more years you can become a full time manager. I know of one person who worked his way up at a big name seasonal park and after 7 years, 6 of which were team leader or higher, still couldn't get a full time spot.

UCF does have a unique program and I think it has the right idea but it doesn't matter in this industry. It is all about guest service and experience. I've been to numerous interviews, and conducted numerous interviews myself, and it comes down to what kind of experience and are they good with people. Everything else you learn on the job (for the most part). Just focus on getting a degree. I've worked for and with a lot of managers in the industry and I can't think of one that has a hospitality degree but they are all good with people and worked their way up.

This is all well and good, but you seem to be contradicting yourself on the college issue. On one hand, you say that its more important to have the experience with customers thana formal education, but next thing you know you're discussing getting a degree being vital. I'm not saying college is a bad choice, but speaking from personal experience I have now been bouncing around colleges and majors for near 6 years and I'm no closer to graduating than I was when I graduated high school in 2006. Should I bother looking into hospitality, continue with communication/psychology, or just drop out and work on getting into the hotel management buisness?

Aditionally, I'm more interested in operations than anything. It seems like parks promote quickly that way, but as a smaller park wi'tth limited employment, Coney isn't like that at all. Would I have better luck working for Cedar Fair or going to SoCal/Florida? Are Texas parks among the year-round locations? I'm trying to find what locations would be the most beneficial, since CP/KI are near my home/college respectively, and I have relatives in Austin that could support me if need be.

That's good advice but if you really want management fast seasonal parks arn't the place to work up. Nothing against people when I say this as some of my best friends took this route... but it takes what a season to become a lead? Another season or (usually) two to become a supervisor? You go to a big park such as Disney or Universal and work hard you could be a team lead after 6 months or two. A salaried supervisor/manager, who would make far more than what an are supervisor or manager would at a seasonal park, after a year and a half two years. I just caution the seasonal route. You get stuck in the parks. You work a summer then get roped into to a lead for the next summer or two then supervisor for a few years, than maybe, in extreme rare cases after a few more years you can become a full time manager. I know of one person who worked his way up at a big name seasonal park and after 7 years, 6 of which were team leader or higher, still couldn't get a full time spot.

For some people (like myself), the option of working at a year-round park isn't there yet, because we do have school during the fall, winter and spring. If getting into management quick is what someone wants to do, yes, you should move to Florida and start at a year-round park. My advice was for those of us still in college (or even high school), getting a job at a seasonal park is definitely the way to go, as it starts to build the necessary experience to move up, helps pay for college, and still lets you get experience in the industry.

Should I bother looking into hospitality, continue with communication/psychology, or just drop out and work on getting into the hotel management buisness?

I would definitely look into hospitality, as the spectrum of what you can do with it ranges from hotels, restaurants, sports venues, amusement parks, spas, state parks... it really is a huge field, with amusement parks being a part of it. I definitely understand your situation, as I too graduated in 2006. I spent three years jumping around majors (communications, marketing, computer science...), but once I found hospitality I loved it and stuck with it, hopefully graduating in December. I'd definitely recommend the hospitality majors.

Aditionally, I'm more interested in operations than anything. It seems like parks promote quickly that way, but as a smaller park wi'tth limited employment, Coney isn't like that at all. Would I have better luck working for Cedar Fair or going to SoCal/Florida? Are Texas parks among the year-round locations? I'm trying to find what locations would be the most beneficial, since CP/KI are near my home/college respectively, and I have relatives in Austin that could support me if need be.

Again, I'd still recommend finishing college, and in the meantime continue to work seasonally. If Coney isn't going anywhere, make the transfer up to Cedar Point or Kings Island. That way you can get some experience with a park that is a little more recognizable to future employers as well as gets you experience in a larger, busier park.

In terms of education, does it have to be hospitality? I currently attend BGSU, which has a Recreation program, though its understaffed and extremely hard to get into. Also, what kind of degree are we talking about? Associate? Bacchelor? Would it be faster/more efficient to attend a school with quarter or semester system?

To answer those questions, I would talk to various parks' managers in different departments and see what they have to say. Some like to see hospitality degrees, some prefer marketing degrees, others recreation... it really depends on the park and the department. Talk to your GM at Coney, see what they have to say. Talk to the folks up at Kings Island, too, I'm sure they could help steer you in the right direction.

Then again, some companies could care less what your degree is in, some could care less if you have one at all while others are picky indeed. I concur, it is best to make contacts at your park of choice (or choices).

Dollywood doesn't even require a High School diploma to be a Team Leader and only requires one to be an Attractions Supervisor. So, it varies by park and company greatly.

In terms of education, does it have to be hospitality? I currently attend BGSU, which has a Recreation program, though its understaffed and extremely hard to get into. Also, what kind of degree are we talking about? Associate? Bacchelor? Would it be faster/more efficient to attend a school with quarter or semester system?

I didn't want to quote both of your posts but sorry for the confusion/contradiction. A degree is important. These days it is hard to move up in any company without one but it usually doesn't matter for entry level management in the parks. A degree is vital - if you want to make it past an entry level manager but experience is going to get you that first real management spot. It is a crappy catch 22 - how do you get that first spot without experience but no one wants to give it to you if you have none. There is where networking comes in and lots of luck. I was lucky to go to school and work my way up in management at the same time. And you degree doesn't have to be hospitality. General business and marketing are two great areas to study for this industry but like I mentioned before I know many managers who work in the same building as me and no one has a degree in hospitality. Not even the bigger bosses. You need at least a bachelor degree to get into middle management and a MBA if you are looking at the bigger roles.

To be honest the faster/more efficient would be to work and go to school at both time. Someone else mentioned seasonal parks are their only chance because of school but to be honest if you really want to be in the industry (and I don't mean to sound rude here) you can move and go to school in SoCal, Orlando or even Texas where there are more chances. To top it off big parks will pay for you to go to school (ie Disney and Universal). I saw I wouldn't be able to move up in a seasonal park and I didn't want to finish my degree and be 22/23 and not be a manager so I moved across the country worked and went to school (got my company to pay for school) and became a manager at one of the largest attractions in the area shortly after my 21st birthday. If you are set at staying at the school you are at great then don't just settle for seasonal hourly employment. So many parks, if not nearly every park, offers sometime of decent internship programs. Six Flags has a variety of management programs, ditto for Dollywood and Silver Dollar City, same goes for Cedar Fair. Busch Gardens Williamsburg also has some. Those let you get into that supervisor role level without having to wait two or three seasonal. Let me know if you want more info on them.

Believe it or not seasonal parks are horrible when it comes to moving up. It isn't too hard to become a lead or whatnot but after that its near impossible to move into a full time year around role (even a big park like CP has maybe only 10 full time/year-round management roles in operations) where Disney has 10 full time operations managers in Tomorrowland alone.

Another thing to consider. Attend IAAPA trade show. That is a great great great networking tool. I personally know several students who got some pretty nice jobs (upper management) right out of school from their networking there.

I lost my password to my other account, been so long since I last posted. But I am currently in engineering at a theme park. It is very difficult to get into this position and have to be rather lucky as well. I went and got an engineering degree from Northwestern in Evanston, and doing a masters in engineering as well while working. It is very hard to get in because it is very selective and very few people in the department. Also when looking at candidates, they look at experience, not only any experience but experience in theme park engineering; then they look the passion in theme parks and general knowledge. Working as a front line operator will help, but more experience will be needed to get a chance at a job in the engineering field. Also, you have to realize thousands of people want jobs in this field, not just enthusiasts, which makes it that much harder to land a job.